mimartin15

Flossy's Mom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michelle =)
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Prem
This may be a silly questions (and it may vary state to state), but how long do I have to get insurance on my new car? How is it covered until then?

I traded my 2011 in, and had insurance on it (which the dealer required documentation of). But, I want to shop around before getting it for my new car. Am I safe to drive it around, or do I need to rush to insure it first? What if I got hit driving it off of the lot?

Since today is a holiday, a few of the carriers' offices are closed today.

They did tell me I have 20 days to transfer my tag, but didn't mention the insurance.

Thanks y'all ---- and please pardon my ignorance =)
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I think you need to it to drive it off the lot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
I would assume most states are similar and require you have insurance before leaving the dealer. Check with your states Secretary of State (or department of motor vehicles) website for answers. Typically in my own experience the dealer contacts your insurance provider once the deal is done and gives them the new vehicle's details. The insurance provider then faxes/emails temporary proof of insurance. Bottom line is for any car to be on the road it most have registration and insurance of some kind.

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
My dealer only required proof that i had full coverage before purchase. After i finished the deal, i drove home. The next day i called my agent. She emailed me an updated insurance card with the new car on there in place of my trade-in. It was simple and easy. Not sure if that is an option for you? I mean, if you dont like the rate (cause i dont) you can always change it. There's no contract on insurance policies last time i checked.

Brownw01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walter
Vehicle(s)
15 EB PP Guard
Ask your dealer if they called your insurance company for you. Sometimes this is how it's done. Your specific agent will probably call you to confirm when they get back in the office.

Sponsored

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
My dealer only required proof that i had full coverage before purchase. After i finished the deal, i drove home. The next day i called my agent. She emailed me an updated insurance card with the new car on there in place of my trade-in. It was simple and easy. Not sure if that is an option for you? I mean, if you dont like the rate (cause i dont) you can always change it. There's no contract on insurance policies last time i checked.
I did the same thing!

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Yea... except in the worst case scenario where your car gets damaged between leaving the lot and adding it to the insurance, do you think the company is going to let you add it retroactively and pay out?

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
They should. It's technically the dealer's responsibility from what I have gathered.

Patrick S

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50 year Ap/Pkg
a dealer may have legal obligations if you pay full cash for the car, i don't know and even then, may very state, to state. but if you finance the car, you will not be able to even start the paperwork without insurance. a finance company requires that you protect their investment. We had our insurance already in place before we went to the dealership, but that was able to be done because we already knew the VIN#.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mimartin15

mimartin15

Flossy's Mom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michelle =)
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Prem
Thanks guys. From recent research, it looks like my current insurance carrier will cover the car with same coverage as my trade in, and I have like 14-30 days to let them know of the new car.

Sponsored

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
Yea... except in the worst case scenario where your car gets damaged between leaving the lot and adding it to the insurance, do you think the company is going to let you add it retroactively and pay out?
I'm interested in this as well.

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
Thanks guys. From recent research, it looks like my current insurance carrier will cover the car with same coverage as my trade in, and I have like 14-30 days to let them know of the new car.
That would be great. I guess I need to check with my insurance agent about this tomorrow.

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
:thumbsup:
I was unaware of how this worked myself. I was super paranoid driving the new car but my dealer told me as long as I've told my current insurance company (assuming you are currently covered) that will continue to cover your new purchase for no more than 1 month.
Sponsored