Sponsored

Installed Spacers...now Vibration at 80MPH

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
As title suggests...I got some of the Coyote Wheel Accessories 1" spacers on all four corners. Installed them today. Cleaned the mating surface, applied blue loctite to the spacer lugs, small spread of anti seize on the lip of the hub, torqued everything down.

They actually drove fine on my way to work going about 80MPH, however going back home at the same speed I noticed the car felt like a wheel was out of balance. Which is weird because the wheels had been balanced less than a week ago when I put the summer tires on.

Did I do something incorrectly on the install? Anything I should check, or is it the spacer itself? There wasn't anything visibly wrong with them when I opened them up before installing.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
As title suggests...I got some of the Coyote Wheel Accessories 1" spacers on all four corners. Installed them today. Cleaned the mating surface, applied blue loctite to the spacer lugs, small spread of anti seize on the lip of the hub, torqued everything down.

They actually drove fine on my way to work going about 80MPH, however going back home at the same speed I noticed the car felt like a wheel was out of balance. Which is weird because the wheels had been balanced less than a week ago when I put the summer tires on.

Did I do something incorrectly on the install? Anything I should check, or is it the spacer itself? There wasn't anything visibly wrong with them when I opened them up before installing.
Take the wheel off and retorque the spacer to the hub.

What torque did you use? The torque to the hub should be the factory torque (148 ft-lbs). The wheel to spacer is what they recommend. IIRC it's about 110 but I'm tired and not exactly sure. When I tried them for a few weeks, no vibration issues.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
I have the same spacers with no issues. I torqued the spacers to the hub at 150 ft lbs and wheel to spacer at 150 ft lbs.

OP
OP
csmaan12

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the same spacers with no issues. I torqued the spacers to the hub at 150 ft lbs and wheel to spacer at 150 ft lbs.
The wheels I can do, but the spacers were tough to torque down. For some reason my socket kept on wanting to slip off. I stuck a screw driver in the rotor vanes to hold it from spinning but the little lugs were tough.

Now I got another noise coming from the front when I apply brakes going forward and reverse that I have to look at tomorrow. Methinks something went awry during install.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Easiest way to torque the spacers in the front is to have someone hold the brake pedal down and use the e-brake for the rear.

The wheels I can do, but the spacers were tough to torque down. For some reason my socket kept on wanting to slip off. I stuck a screw driver in the rotor vanes to hold it from spinning but the little lugs were tough.

Now I got another noise coming from the front when I apply brakes going forward and reverse that I have to look at tomorrow. Methinks something went awry during install.

Sponsored

OP
OP
csmaan12

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Easiest way to torque the spacers in the front is to have someone hold the brake pedal down and use the e-brake for the rear.
I do have a lot of wood blocks...why I didn't think of that I have no idea LOL. I was using a long ass pry bar, and eventually a screw driver to hold the rotor against the caliper.

Going to check everything out today and see what happens.

OP
OP
csmaan12

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Yep.. same ones I have

OP
OP
csmaan12

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I took them off, going to hit the highway today and see if there's still vibration at 80. New noise I mentioned above seems to be coming from the front shocks/springs...may be my calling to upgrade the shocks.

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
What wheels are you running?
Sponsored