I4 vs V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
What are you buying this car for? As a daily driver with power and good looks? Then you're fine with the EB or the V6, you are getting an exceptional car for the price of a 4 cylinder Camry. If you are buying because you want the fastest car you can then get the V8 or the GT350.
Currently I believe the V6/EB Mustangs are the fastest news cars you can get for under 25k. Hell you can even find them for around 20-22k. I got mine for 21k (I love the deal I got)
The only car under that price point I would want is a GTI.
The V8 is a deal as well being priced at $32k for a base GT, but that's still 10k more and some people aren't in the budget range for that.

I believe the V6 is the perfect balance of price, power, looks, reliability.
Sponsored

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
No argument from me!!

I was one of the first people to get the new mustang anywhere near me.. People would honk the horn next to me on the freeway and give me the thumbs up. Don't get any sort of love like that now since they are so common.

All of that at the cost of a base Camry.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
No argument from me!!

I was one of the first people to get the new mustang anywhere near me.. People would honk the horn next to me on the freeway and give me the thumbs up. Don't get any sort of love like that now since they are so common.

All of that at the cost of a base Camry.
Me too, in fact when I got mine in Apr2015, I maybe saw one s550 a week. Now I see that in an hour. Used to get countless compliments at gas stations and grocery stores. They are sexy timeless lookin cars. I used to think the S197s were badass lookin because they looked beefy but the s550 is just pure sex, I love looking at my car lol.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Very true :cheers:. I think it may be an ever better bang for the buck car than a base GT. Put a roush axleback and FRPP Suspension package on it and you'll have one hell of a car for $24k.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm planning on purchasing a new mustang soon, but I can't decide what engine I want. I'd love a V8 but unfortunately I can't afford that right now So it's between the 4 and 6. Right now I'm leaning towards the V6 just because of the way it sounds, I don't really like the way the I4 sounds, but the I4 has more potential and has a lot more options to choose from. I'd really appreciate any advice or comments on why you chose the model you did.
I've got the Ecoboost 4 and love it. It has great power and handles great also. I use only 93 octane gas for maximum performance .:thumbsup:

Sponsored

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
I agree with the statement that the V6 is probably the best balance of price and performance. Not all of us are looking for fire breathers.

tripleyellowmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 3xyellow EBPP
Drive all 3 make your pick. All 3 are great engines. Just a matter of what satisfies your needs. I am very happy with the EB. Very fun to drive. Average 22 mpg city; have not done any highway driving.

magnetic16gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT
When I was shopping for my '14, I was torn between the base V6 or GT (obviously no ecoboost then) With incentives, the V6 was around 20k while the GT was around 29k. The V6 was very engaging with the M6 and with me driving 18k miles a year, I'd be lying if I didn't consider the fuel savings as well.

It was a hard decision between practicality and the wow factor of the GT. I purchased the GT with an amount of uncertainty because I could afford it and the insurance was not much of a difference, even at 25. I have since moved into another GT, but I know I would have enjoyed that V6 if I would have gone that route. When I began shopping for a '16, I test drove the ecoboost before the 5.0. Again, seemed to have plenty of power to enjoy, but I do think I enjoyed the linear performance of the 3.7 vs the feel of the 2.3.

My first car was an old V6 Mustang. At 18 years old, I lusted over the V8 variants and considered trading up a few times. I have no regrets that I drove that thing for 5 years, enjoyed the heck out of it while making it mine, and saved a ton of cash so I could ultimately start playing with the fancier cars.

Bottom line, the opinions of people on a forum are just that. As suggested above, I'd test drive both and see what one better fits you. If I were in a position that I couldn't afford my GT, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a V6 or I4 variant.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
I think there is only a small amount of people that could drive any Mustang to it's fullest potential. It's your money.

Sponsored

Jayhawk Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver Ecoboost Premium
I don't even discuss this anymore, tired of getting harassed by other EB owners calling me an idiot who doesn't know how to drive or how my car is messed up.. my car has less than 8k in a year and 1 month of ownership and has had 2 services/oil changes at the dealer I purchased it from.. found zero mechanical issues. Car doesn't make any weird noises, no vibrations, no hesitation, (idled a little funny with MMR CAI, stock box seems to have fixed that), nothing wrong with it.. other than it's slower than advertised but it's hot as balls where I live and the damn thing heat soaks badly especially in traffic.

I'll just leave these links here for anyone interested.

592miles lifetime mpg
592miles tank mpg
3257miles lifetime mpg
7547miles lifetime mpg
Current tank mpg as of 30mins ago
Your lifetime average speed is 18 mph, of course you get terrible gas mileage. You'd get crappy mileage in anything doing 18 mph for 8000 miles

Jayhawk Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver Ecoboost Premium
This goes back to response I said on another thread four-cylinder and six cylinder mustang's are for people who can't afford the V8 nothing is wrong with that.

If I were you save your money until you can afford a V-8. There are way too many people who buy the four-cylinder or a six cylinder and regret it within six months. Just save your money and your time will come.

I just love when people say I bought the four cylinder mustang for the gas mileage. :headbonk:

Do you only get that gas mileage when you drive like a grandma and stay out of boost once you're in boost you get worse gas mileage than the V8.

Who buys a Mustang to drive like a grandma :frusty:
I'll never understand why so many GT owners feel a need to lord over ecoboost owners. Especially about gas mileage when the weekly "HEY GT OWNERS WHAT GAS MILEAGE ARE YOU GETTING" posts come up here and on the S550 facebook page.

I know many of us, GT, EB, and V6 alike, drive these cars every day. When most of the drive is a commute, gas mileage might matter to some people. Why shouldn't they strive to have a fun, fast car that also gets decent gas mileage?

With regards to boost, how often do you really think we're in boost? Yes, when we drive aggressively we get bad gas mileage but so do GTs. I doubt that an ecoboost driven hard gets any worse gas mileage than a GT driven hard. Of course why do you care, it's not about the MPGs is it?

As much as you don't care to believe it more than a few ecoboost and v6 owners bought them because they wanted them, not because they wanted a GT but couldn't afford it. I'm one of those.

OP isn't. OP wants a V8 but can't afford it. I'd agree with others: if you really want the V8 save your pennies until you can get it. You'll probably regret it otherwise because you're admitting up front that you're "only" getting the car because you can't afford the one you want. Either buy an I4 or V6 because you want it, or don't buy one at all. If I was making a recommendation between the two I'd recommend ecoboost. Better gas mileage if you care about such things, more power and torque especially once modified.

Randy954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Pp
When I bought my Mustang, i drove the v6, EB, and the GT. The v6 was just a waste of time. Why buy a sports car with a v6? My girls accord would smoke the v6 mustang and still get 30+mpg and in my opinion is much more comfortable than the mustang.

Then i drove the EB and I did like it I wont lie. The only thing is, I couldnt see myself in an AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR with a 4 cyl (turbo or not). The last 4 cars ive owed were all turbo (3000gt vr4, mk3 supra, dsm, starion) and I just wanted something different as I was tired of F/I.

When I got in the GT and started it up instantly knew this was the car for me. Pure muscle and nice sounding v8. Sure I could make the EB just as fast blah blah blah but in my head im buying a muscle car so im not gonna be the guy with a 4 cyl mustang lol. Im not bashing them or even the v6 but if you want those motors there are tons of more practical, comfortable, and more reliable cars out there for the same price.

The mustang name when you ask the majority means "muscle car" and im sorry but no muscle car should ever have a v6 or 4cyl option. That includes chargers, camaros, challengers etc. Everytime i see the base models im always asking myself why didnt they just get the v8? Im not hating or talking down on the people who bought them but theres so many better options then buying an american car with a v6 or 4 cyl. Honda's and Toyota's are years ahead of any american car in most categories. I knew i would be sacrificing comfort, reliability, re-sale value by buying an american car. But theres nothing like a big v8 and for that one reason is why i ended up buying my GT. :cheers:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
When I bought my Mustang, i drove the v6, EB, and the GT. The v6 was just a waste of time. Why buy a sports car with a v6? My girls accord would smoke the v6 mustang and still get 30+mpg and in my opinion is much more comfortable than the mustang.
My 2011 V6 Mustang got 30+ MPG easily. It would chirp the tires when I shifted into third gear at 55 mph or so. I thought it was a great car and a lot of fun. At the time when I owned it I didn't want to pay the money for a V8. I remember that V6 having a similar high-winding character as the Coyote, which to me makes it a lot of fun to drive. Handling is also very good with less weight on the front tires.

If you're all about 0-60 times, the PP V6 2011 Mustang was 5.2 seconds. I looked through a list of 0-60 times for Honda Accords and most take 7 seconds or more. Some are as quick as 5.5, which isn't bad. However I would be very surprised if your girl's Accord is actually faster than a V6 Mustang.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP

Then i drove the EB and I did like it I wont lie. The only thing is, I couldnt see myself in an AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR with a 4 cyl (turbo or not). The last 4 cars ive owed were all turbo (3000gt vr4, mk3 supra, dsm, starion) and I just wanted something different as I was tired of F/I.

When I got in the GT and started it up instantly knew this was the car for me. Pure muscle and nice sounding v8. Sure I could make the EB just as fast blah blah blah but in my head im buying a muscle car so im not gonna be the guy with a 4 cyl mustang lol. Im not bashing them or even the v6 but if you want those motors there are tons of more practical, comfortable, and more reliable cars out there for the same price.

The mustang name when you ask the majority means "muscle car" and im sorry but no muscle car should ever have a v6 or 4cyl option. That includes chargers, camaros, challengers etc. Everytime i see the base models im always asking myself why didnt they just get the v8? Im not hating or talking down on the people who bought them but theres so many better options then buying an american car with a v6 or 4 cyl. Honda's and Toyota's are years ahead of any american car in most categories. I knew i would be sacrificing comfort, reliability, re-sale value by buying an american car. But theres nothing like a big v8 and for that one reason is why i ended up buying my GT. :cheers:
The first mustang was a 6 and they have been around since 1964 so I don't see how you could say no muscle car should ever have a v6 option when it has always been around and has always sold 3x more than the V8. This means more revenue for Ford to continue selling your V8's for really cheap. Also the GNX was a turbo-6 and was considered one of the best muscle cars of the 80s, and also even the SVO.
Sure a V6 Accord might beat a V6 Mustang but a V6 Accord costs 30k+....you paid 30K plus to beat a V6 Mustang.

And you need to stop being so narrow-minded. People buy V6 Mustangs instead of V8s for the same reason people buy GTs instead of GT350s. Cost. Sure there are other better V6 cars out there but none of them look as good and most other V6's don't cost less than 24k. There are better V8 cars so why not get those? Why not a Vette...or a Hellcat?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.