Sponsored

How well does the factory glass block UV rays?

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I've been back and forth debating whether or not to get tint. I do want tint to help keep my interior from fading, and was considering 20%, but I'm worried it will make my car look too black, since I have a black car, basically limo like. How well do the stock windows block out UV light and protect the interior from fading? What would you guys suggest? Does anyone have a black car with 20% or 35% tint?
Sponsored

Heardcuh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
C.O.
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I've been back and forth debating whether or not to get tint. I do want tint to help keep my interior from fading, and was considering 20%, but I'm worried it will make my car look too black, since I have a black car, basically limo like. How well do the stock windows block out UV light and protect the interior from fading? What would you guys suggest? Does anyone have a black car with 20% or 35% tint?

I do and I love it. You can look too see how my car looks, [MENTION=27955]Murder5.0[/MENTION] on instagram.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
You don't have to go to 20% tint to get good UV protection, you just need better quality tint. Check out Huper Optik. I got that in 35% and it's not too dark. It has excellent UV and heat rejection and more importantly, excellent clarity.

That percentage is just the amount of light that passes through. With lower quality tint, getting good heat rejection requires less light to pass through. That just tells you it isn't doing as good a job on the UV and heat rejection and trying to accomplish it mostly by blocking light which you need to see.

You can actually get good heat and UV protection from a high quality tint with little light filtering. Obviously the heat rejection will be better the darker they can make the tint even on the best quality tint, that's natural but the UV protection can remain constant.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do and I love it. You can look too see how my car looks, [MENTION=27955]Murder5.0[/MENTION] on instagram.
Thank's, that does look good.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't have to go to 20% tint to get good UV protection, you just need better quality tint. Check out Huper Optik. I got that in 35% and it's not too dark. It has excellent UV and heat rejection and more importantly, excellent clarity.

That percentage is just the amount of light that passes through. With lower quality tint, getting good heat rejection requires less light to pass through. That just tells you it isn't doing as good a job on the UV and heat rejection and trying to accomplish it mostly by blocking light which you need to see.

You can actually get good heat and UV protection from a high quality tint with little light filtering. Obviously the heat rejection will be better the darker they can make the tint even on the best quality tint, that's natural but the UV protection can remain constant.

Thank's. That's another issue I was concerned about, clarity at night.

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
The UV blocking on pretty much any auto glass is quite effective these days, the fact that my transitions lenses maddeningly don't work in the car are a testament to that. What you'll benefit with various tint types is light and heat reduction.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I recommend at least 35% tint. The factory glass will do a piss poor job of protecting anything. It's the 1st thing I changed.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
UV blockage...

Dark tint only blocks visible light and IR (heat).
You used to be able to buy very dark sunglasses that were essentially transparent to UV. I am presently wearing regular clear glasses that are almost 100% opaque to UV.
When you shop for 'tint'...buy the brand that blocks the most UV...darker does not necessarily mean more UV protection.

Bankss550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maurice
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT Premium 6SPD
I recommend at least 35% tint. The factory glass will do a piss poor job of protecting anything. It's the 1st thing I changed.
I agree 100%. The factory glass is horrible. It was so bad compared to my previous car, an 09 accord coupe, that I made the appointment for tint the day after I picked up my car. The windshield sucks too. It blocks 0 sun and I'm considering a light tint on it as well. I would recommend at least 30% tint.
Sponsored