How to Track my GT350?

OnTrack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Ruby Red
I agree with Honeybadger on focusing on safety gear first before any major modifications and a lot of track experience needs to come before slicks. I would pick a strong HPDE organization like NASA or ChinTrackDays. I have ran with both of those many times at different tracks/regions and progressed through them years ago. Either way, the best modification you can do is seat time on track with good instruction. Buy the insurance if you want, but would recommend it the first few event since you'll be on edge anyway. In my opinion, intermediate or HPDE 2 is generally the most unpredictable.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Track mode does leave some nanny intervention active; it just kicks in later (higher yaw angles). I find Sport mode to be a little too intrusive on a dry track. I think Track mode is about right for me; I am too chickensh*t to kill all the nannies completely. It'll let you get pretty sideways before grabbing the reins, so you can play with throttle steering, etc.

The car is pretty fun regardless. I'd rather be on track in Normal mode than not be on track at all.

Everyone hit the big points here: basic mechanical prep is all that's needed; no mods necessary. Check your ego at the gate, go to the track with an organization that has GOOD instruction (i.e. they have an instructor training program, not just "you've been coming a lot so you're an instructor now"), listen to the instructor, get ride-alongs with others, stay hydrated, and be okay giving lots of point-bys early on. These cars are so fast that you won't be giving lots of point-bys for long.

Focus on the line first, feeling the balance of the car change as you use the inputs (throttle, steering, brake), and what "planted" and "smooth" feel like. Don't TRY to go fast. Just keep doing "smooth" and you'll get faster naturally.

Guarantee you will come out of day 1 feeling overwhelmed, day 2 feeling exhausted, and day 3 totally hooked.

Then kiss your savings goodbye, lol.
I agree with all of that. Here is an observation that parallels your thoughts....

Many who run roval courses get the dreaded error where the stability augmentation and traction control go offline, essentially leaving you without a single nannie looking out for you. My point is that if you don't ask the car to do something it can't, it's not a problem. This reinforces the idea that proper training and experience is paramount in not asking the car for something the car can't do landing you in a jackpot.

I've found myself in that exact scenario many times. I never felt the need to back off of my driving style and felt comfortable pushing the car without the protections enabled. The car is very stable and as long as you have a solid foundation based upon experience and instruction, you shouldn't have a problem.

Learn the car. It's best to learn it with non slicks and using traction control. Traction control is self critiquing. You know when it engages and when it does, you did something wrong. Dont rely on it. Get instruction. Get a feel for what the car can and cant do. Most importantly, recognize and stay within your limitations. My last student blew through the bus stop across the grass while solo. I asked him about it and he said he felt pressured because people were bearing down on him.

Stay within your limits. It's the other guys job not to hit you......

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Awesome, have a great time! Post pics in the track forum when you're done.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

RevinKevin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP/PP
Eran,
Welcome to the family!
The best money you can spend as a novice driver is on coaching. The GT350 is one of the few productioncars that you can buy that can be tracked without initial modifications.
National Auto Sport Association (NASA) has a chapter in the northeast and in Ohio that runs events at Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio, Pittsburg International, and others. Their HPDE program's sole purpose is to coach beginning drivers in a safe and controlled environment, as you are required to have an in-car instructor. Also, they rent out the whole track for the weekend, so everyone is required to adhere to the safety regs, though I've found some regions don't enforce them as stringently. Generally, the instructor quality is good, but may be inconsistent between track days and regions. Porsche Club and BMW Club also have good instructors. I've heard good things about Chin Motorsports and Hooked on Driving, but ymmv.
You can also hire a private coach, but this will be more expensive.
Ask your instructor about his or her background, including if they are a member of the Motor Sport Safety Foundation, and which level of certification they have achieved. If you have an instructor that you don't feel comfortable with, ask for another.
Check your ego at the door and focus on developing your situational awareness and the safety regs instead of lap times. The speed will come with good instruction and track time.
As you progress and feel comfortable with the fundamentals, consider some type of track telemetry. The Aim Solo brand is widely regarded as the best for the money, but it is pricey. You may need a coach to translate the data into what you need to do on track.
I wouldn't recommend open lapping days until you get significant seat time.
Costs for a most track weekends vary by region and track, but usually are between $400 and $1200 (COTA or possibly some of the California tracks) for a full weekend. You also can do single days for reduced cost.
Unfortunately, the GT350 is a heavy car, so consumables such as tires, brake pads, and rotors will be expensive-budget accordingly.
The only mods that come to mind are camber plates, and possibly a squared aftermarket wheel setup that you can rotate, as that will increase longevity of your tires.
Finally, consider subscribing to Ross Bentley's weekly Speed Secrets newsletter. It has great tips for all levels of drivers. And feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
Full disclosure: I instruct for NASA and Porsche Club.

http://nasane.com/

http://nasagreatlakes.com/

https://speedsecrets.com/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a28641/heres-what-every-trackday-newbie-should-know/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a31603/drivers-ed-track-teachers/

https://www.motorsport-safety.org/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motors...safety-foundations-driving-instructor-school/
Great post. Thank you sir.
Sponsored