Sponsored

How to restore the bullitt exhaust tips?

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
@AnthonyA1234
Looks a little like you lost some of the black coating on the sharp edges of the tips?
Sponsored

KXU_KAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Hi everyone, new member here, recently bought a 2020 Bullitt and have noticed that the tips (specifically the outer ones) are looking rusty and faded. I did try normal cleaning and they went back to the same looks. I found this thread and see that metal polish seems to work. I wanted to ask if this other brand could do the same, I’m just worried about doing more damage than helping restoring the original finish.
IMG_0028.jpeg

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone, new member here, recently bought a 2020 Bullitt and have noticed that the tips (specifically the outer ones) are looking rusty and faded. I did try normal cleaning and they went back to the same looks. I found this thread and see that metal polish seems to work. I wanted to ask if this other brand could do the same, I’m just worried about doing more damage than helping restoring the original finish.
IMG_0028.jpeg
Most (all ?) metal polishes have some mild abrasive action to them so I would be concerned about what that could do the to the black finish over time (note @Nightmonkey 's comment in post #16).

Interesting that you should mention the outer tips ...

Typically, the better / higher grade stainlesses are non (or less) magnetic, so mine seem to be reversed when compared to yours :

Hello from the UK :like:

WD :like:

KXU_KAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Most (all ?) metal polishes have some mild abrasive action to them so I would be concerned about what that could do the to the black finish over time (note @Nightmonkey 's comment in post #16).

Interesting that you should mention the outer tips ...

Typically, the better / higher grade stainlesses are non (or less) magnetic, so mine seem to be reversed when compared to yours :

Hello from the UK :like:

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Yes, the outer tips are the ones that look worse, like the finishing layer is different or not the same metal. The car has done 13.600 miles since Sept 2020.
So in general the products mentioned in the thread (Meguiars and Chem Guys) “work” and improve the black finish up to certain level even though eventually they will affect it because of the characteristics and usage of them?
I assume then that Autosol might do the same.

Last edited:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Your inner tips may look different as they run much hotter (if you run with the valves open a lot, and drive it enthusiastically) - it's easy to see on the silver tips as its the inner ones that start to go to the 'straw' colour :

1715952621300-ml.png

I normally don't give recommendations on something I haven't done, but 'if ' I had black tips I would likely :

• Make sure they are cold.
  • Use a rag soaked in white spirit (mineral spirits) wrapped around the tailpipes to soften / remove burnt on tar.
  • Try an iron eating wheel cleaner to remove any rust staining.
  • If the iron remover fails, use a rag soaked in oxalic acid wrapped around the tailpipes followed by gentle rubbing - don't let it dry and rinse well.

If all those failed, I would then be looking to a dedicated polish, but keeping it away from the sharp edges etc.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
To follow up on WD’s points, I would almost treat the black tips like a black wheel. Iron remover, wheel cleaner, a chemical like that. If you have something like a Scrub Ninja pad to work the wheel cleaner with, that would work well

KXU_KAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
To follow up on WD’s points, I would almost treat the black tips like a black wheel. Iron remover, wheel cleaner, a chemical like that. If you have something like a Scrub Ninja pad to work the wheel cleaner with, that would work well
Thanks for the advice guys.
I have Custom Wheel Cleaner from Autoglym, would it work the same instead of a metal polisher?

https://www.autoglym.com/cwc500-custom-wheel-cleaner.html

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Thanks for the advice guys.
I have Custom Wheel Cleaner from Autoglym, would it work the same instead of a metal polisher?

https://www.autoglym.com/cwc500-custom-wheel-cleaner.html
I haven’t used Autoglym specifically but it should cut down a lot of the build up on the tips. Might need to use it a couple times to get everything. It’s not abrasive like a metal polish can be, so it won’t mar the finish on the tips. Just don’t use an abrasive brush or pad, that will also scratch the finish

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
As you mentioned rust deposits, I would be keen to use a iron removing / colour changing / extra nice smelling kind of wheel cleaner :like:

KXU_KAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
As you mentioned rust deposits, I would be keen to use a iron removing / colour changing / extra nice smelling kind of wheel cleaner :like:

I think Autoglym do one of those as well.
I’ll try posting a pic of the tips anyways.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yeah I’d hit that with your Autoglym first and see how much of those deposits you can get off. If the rust looking stuff is still there, hit it with an iron remover. If you do it in the shade, you can let the iron remover dwell for a few minutes. Just don’t let it dry

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think Autoglym do one of those as well.
I’ll try posting a pic of the tips anyways.
For an easy to get hold of / over the counter type of product, I find the meguiars ultimate wheel cleaner to be quite good.

Worst case is it doesn’t help, but at least it will do a good job of your wheels :like:

KXU_KAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Update: So I used Autoglym Custom Wheel Cleaner and it kinda work, at least it looks like some of the deposits went away, but not completely. I did three passes with the cleaner and didn’t use any of the stronger or abrasive pads.
I think next step would be iron remover and stronger cleaner.
IMG_0038.jpeg
IMG_0039.jpeg
IMG_0040.jpeg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Update: So I used Autoglym Custom Wheel Cleaner and it kinda work, at least it looks like some of the deposits went away, but not completely. I did three passes with the cleaner and didn’t use any of the stronger or abrasive pads.
I think next step would be iron remover and stronger cleaner.
IMG_0038.jpeg
IMG_0039.jpeg
IMG_0040.jpeg
These are the Scrub Ninja pads I use. I use them for my steering wheels and other leather cleaning. Not super abrasive so they shouldn’t hurt the finish. Spray some of your Autoglym on the pad and the tips and give it a go. Just keep enough cleaner on the pad so there’s some lubrication there as well.

https://a.co/d/7HsAK5C
Sponsored