Sponsored

How many hours for Barton shifter install?

BigHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium Ingot silver
How long should I expect the install time to be on a Barton short throw shifter if done by a shop? Also I have the Barton shifter (NOT the hybrid 3) and wanted to know if I should or need to purchase anything else with the shifter (fluids, braided lines, mounts....?) [MENTION=17970]BAR[/MENTION]tonIndustries
Sponsored

Driversound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
If I was to guess, 2 hours with a lift.
My MGW took long because it was done on jack stands and hardly any room underneath. It would also help to have an extra set of hands to hang on the drive shaft for clearance. That was my biggest issue during install.

Last edited:

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Yeah, two hours or so depending on your skill level. Just make sure you (or your tech) watches the install video provided on their site. My tech didn't, and had to do the job twice lol.

Driversound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Be gentle on the center console plastic as those clips can break easily.

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP
It shouldn't take more than a couple on the lift. The video is a great help, except there are things that have changed since they made it.

1. You don't need washers for the bolts that hold the bottom of the shifter case.

2. You need blue loctite for those same bolts.

3. You don't need to swap the shifter cup, as the new one has one already installed.

Thats the most I remember from the two installs I've done. BTW. It's easily doable if you have the right tools, mainly ratchet extensions and a swivel bit.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BigHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium Ingot silver
Thank you guys for all the information, its been very helpful. So a shop said they will charge me $200 for the install, I'm assuming thats good for a 2 hour labor? I don't really not the rates so I can't really tell if it truly is or not lol.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The typical hour rate is $75-110 depending on your location so $200 isn't bad in my opinion.

Bankss550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maurice
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT Premium 6SPD
It took me a little under 3 hrs to install mine but I also had issues with the supplied roll pin removal tool. (Don't use it). $200 is a fair price I think. Oh and you should also pick up the Barton lockout collar.
Sponsored