Sponsored

How long can I safely drive after fuel gauge reads empty?

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
After the center fuel gauge reaches "0 miles to empty", how much of the tank can safely be used? Is it truly empty at that point? I usually will fill up before hitting 0 but just wondering.
Sponsored

Mike's Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A
It depends on how heavy your foot is.

It has a 16 gallon tank. Mine usually hits 0 when I have a little over a gallon left.

Loud 5.0

Loud 5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Check your owners manual, it may tell you what the range is after you have hit zero miles. I would think you have a few miles left as a safety net to get to a gas station.

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
Screw that haha. I've never had to find out. The only time I have ever ran any vehicle to E was once trying to get rid of a bad batch of gas out of a truck. I'm told you can burn up your fuel pump faster doing that crap. I'm sure a handful of times isn't going to make much of a difference, but if you do it regularly before hitting the gas pumps. Whether there's much truth behind that, don't know. But I just go ahead and fill up when I hit 1/4 tank and treat that like E after hearing that.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
For me personally when my tank hit empty I had about 4 blocks before the car sputtered and died. Luckily that was only one blocknaway from the gas station I was headed to

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I've only let me car get to '0 Miles Until Empty' a couple times, as it puts additional stress on your fuel pump, and you end up sucking a bunch of crap from the bottom of the tank into your fuel filter. I can say that the most recent time I did it, I put 15.6 gallons into a 16 gallon tank, and I only put a couple miles on the car after getting the message...

JR

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
When I hit zero, it took 15.4 gallons to fillup, so you have maybe 10 miles before it really empty. It's not good to due this since it puts extra stress on the fuel pump.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Not to mention refueling this car is a real pain in the ass. At least for me it was. Now I'll never go below half a tank haha

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
IIRC about tree fiddy...

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Until right after you pass the gas station you figured you could zip by and hit the one with cheaper 93 at the next exit. :)

Don't run your car low on gas regularly. Not good for the pump or the system itself.

Loud 5.0

Loud 5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
You have about a gallon left at 0, so anywhere from 15-25 miles depending on how you drive. Once the fuel gauge is below the empty line to the point its not touching it anymore is when youre about to stall out.

ZombieHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red California Special
The fuel in tank and going through the pump actually cools the pump so having no fuel can overheat the pump, once shouldn't destroy it but doing it over and over will shorten its life..
Sponsored