Sponsored

How do you justify what you spend on your Mustang?

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I work 60 hours a week... I deserve it.
Sponsored

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
I've dumped 13k in extras on a motorcycle. Another 5 k in my most recent one.

I understand the addiction of upgrading. But bikes were paid off and I had no car payment.

Now There's the house payment and the stang payment

So I'm still going to go for it but no more than 2k Been looking at goodies all night.

There's just a few things this car must have. Tint, cat removal, cold air intake and maybe some lowering springs as well as louvers for the rear window and a few other cosmetic goodies.

I'm doomed.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I more than paid my share of dues over the years. Many of you guys with some miles on you can relate: wife, house, raised kids, job, and ALL the ups and downs (lots of downs), that come with it over the years, and everyone/everything else came first. Every single penny I spend on this thing is done so without hesitation, . . . I'm quite sure I've earned it. I'm not the only one, there are many of you here who traveled a long rough road as well and have the scars to prove it.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I more than paid my share of dues over the years. Many of you guys with some miles on you can relate: wife, house, raised kids, job, and ALL the ups and downs (lots of downs), that come with it over the years, and everyone/everything else came first. Every single penny I spend on this thing is done so without hesitation, . . . I'm quite sure I've earned it. I'm not the only one, there are many of you here who traveled a long rough road as well and have the scars to prove it.
Amen to that!!! :cheers:

5.oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford white 5.0
No justification needed. I contribute more than enough to my 401k, Roth IRA and Traditional IRA and keep a healthy savings. Busted my butt to get a good job so I can afford to play without having to pinch pennies or worry about what I'm spending. I love the automotive community and I'm just glad I can be a part of it.

Sponsored

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
hidden bank accounts. jus sayin.
This was my path, But now I getting divorced so no need to hide it!

Modding wise I tend to keep my cars for 7-10 years, Not really concerned with resale as long as the right pedal can put a smile on my face.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
If you have to justify it, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

What I mean is that justifying spending on car upgrades is no different than spending money on any other luxury you enjoy. If you have to justify it, it usually means you're taking money away from a necessity (food/sex/shelter) or other important obligation (kids/home etc.).

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
Before I got my car I wanted to mod the hell out of it.. E85 Tune, FMIC, Turbo swap etc etc.. after I got it I'm afraid to do anything to the engine for warranty reasons (Lol) and I don't want to spend anymore cash on it because I want a GT or at the very least, a manual..

Still though, I've done a few things.. I would like to do FMIC, FP strut brace, better tires and stereo.. but I really want a friggin' manual V8 before they go extinct (F u insurance) so I don't want to waste cash on this..

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So... I've been wondering, how do you guys justify what you spend to mod your Mustang?
When shit breaks and there's a performance upgrade available for it, the upgrade gets done. If there's a thoughtful mod available that will improve the vehicle dynamics at reasonable cost, it gets done in the name of improved capability that could have been offered as an option that I would have checked the box for. That's 'could have been', as in should have been but wasn't.

I'm all for personalizing and making your car stand out and such. But being someone who's unable to disassemble the engine and reassemble it again, I don't think I'll be keeping my car for more than maybe 7-10 years.
I'm not under either of those limitations. Never was, not even when we were living in an apartment and I did some light head porting on the kitchen table.

I feel like if I spend anymore money on my car, I won't get to use it to it's full potential by the time I get rid of the car.

That being said I've already spent about 11k on mods/labor, which was about 25% of the purchase price of my car.
Why wouldn't you use it for all it's worth once you've gotten it fully broken-in? Whether that means dragstrips, autocross lots, or HPDEs on the big tracks, what are you waiting for? Is it already under consideration for sale/trade? If so, why?

I see some guys with mods that cost more than the price of their car. Do you guys keep the cars for long? Is it due to sponsors?
No sponsors here, but if you choose your mods wisely and normally end up only doing them once, you be hard pressed to out-spend the $MSRP in mods these days. For upgraded shit and consumables that break or wear out, that's the cost of playing hard . . . kind of like ammunition if you're into guns and shooting. These days for me for my car(s), that's mostly tires and brakes.

That said, I do tend to keep cars longer than most, having averaged somewhere between 15 and 20 years and keeping none for fewer than 9.

For the $5500-ish 1979 Chevy Malibu that I kept for 33 years I know I spent more than that just on its last engine and its EFI. Spread out over the next 7 or 8 years, it was still relatively inexpensive compared against anything new at that time (not to mention that US domestic intermediate sedans with V8 power and manual transmissions had all gone extinct). I'm sure it'd work out to less than $125/month, maybe under $100/month if I went through all my receipts. What can you buy for that kind of money that you wouldn't mod, that you'd be the least bit interested in buying in the first place? Remember that this has to be a 'fun' car, not a series of disposable POS winter beaters and commuter penalty boxes.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Lol. Thing is I want to do more to my car. There's just alot of things I can't justify on it since it's a high price for little return.
I don't ever look at the financial return on car related expenses. Not for mods, for not having them, or even as part of the original purchase process. I don't even occasionally check what any of my cars might be worth on the used car market.

I can choose to pay to enjoy what I drive, pay to hate to drive it, or anything in between. I choose enjoyment.

Norm

Sponsored

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Honey, these Mustangs handle terribly, my car doesnt feel safe. Im gonna have to spend a little bit of money to upgrade my suspension.

OP
OP
Geotoxic

Geotoxic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If you have to justify it, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

What I mean is that justifying spending on car upgrades is no different than spending money on any other luxury you enjoy. If you have to justify it, it usually means you're taking money away from a necessity (food/sex/shelter) or other important obligation (kids/home etc.).
Lol I'm sure nobody here is debating whether to eat well or buy mods.

The justification I'm thinking of is more along the lines of whether the mods are worth it or not.

For example, I chose to go supercharger for better bang for the buck power adder and the lovely sound. It also brings me to 500 whp which was my goal. Some mods I want on the car but I can't quite justify ...

Some mods are just too expensive for what it is. 75 dollars for paddle extensions? Yeesh. I found the same one from ebay shipped from China for 30 and even then I thought they were expensive for what it is.

I don't ever look at the financial return on car related expenses. Not for mods, for not having them, or even as part of the original purchase process. I don't even occasionally check what any of my cars might be worth on the used car market.

I can choose to pay to enjoy what I drive, pay to hate to drive it, or anything in between. I choose enjoyment.

Norm
Not financial return. Bad wording on my part. I mean HP/Fun/Smiles.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Smiles per gallon!

/end thread

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
and i just spend another $200 bucks; impact wrench and G2 Caliper paint on its way....

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I wish people wouldn't use the words return or investment when it comes to a car. A car is a money pit, no doubt about it.

You will never get back what you put into it. Although you may smile or grin from driving it. That counts for something right?
Sponsored