Sponsored

How close is “too close” when running wide tires?

Digital_Synapse

Mass Effect Field Expert
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT PP
When running really wide tires up front, how close is too close to the strut and/or the fender? My last setup had the little hairs on the tire flicking the strut, and I was curious. So I put my 325 on 19x11+55 (M350) up front with a 25mm spacer. It “fits” but holy shit it’s tight. The little hairs have to lay flat to pass. I wanna say it’s got 1mm clearance at best. Seems too wide and I feel like stepping down to a 305 (which has been tried and true) would be better. Anyone have any luck?

*update, I just set the car down and there’s no way it could roll out the driveway lol. Talk about POKE!!! It sticks out like an inch.

Here is a video of my findings. Excuse the dirty ass garage.

Sponsored

Last edited:

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Curious... how much camber are you running up front?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't feel comfortable with less than 3 mm to tire. To wheel, 1.5-2 mm.

FWIW 325 is too much up front on any wheel, and it generally too much for an 11" wide. 305/30R19 is what you want up front.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
305 wide would allow you to increase front camber to the amounts required to limit the poke (and desired for track use): around -2-2.5 deg.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
My mechanic told me, if it rubs, its too close. If you notice any damage to the tire sidewall, its too close.

I'd try to get +4mm, but I might send it with less.

Sponsored

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
My mechanic told me, if it rubs, its too close. If you notice any damage to the tire sidewall, its too close.

Did he go to school to learn this 'revelation of wisdom' or just an educated guess?

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo

FWIW 325 is too much up front on any wheel, and it generally too much for an 11" wide. 305/30R19 is what you want up front.
Yes 325 is too wide for the front, but not for an 11 inch wide wheel. Many run a 325 tire on the rear.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes 325 is too wide for the front, but not for an 11 inch wide wheel. Many run a 325 tire on the rear.
For a handling-focused car it's too wide. I don't know why else he'd be going through the trouble of running 19x11s up front, so I assume that's his goal.

OP
OP
Digital_Synapse

Digital_Synapse

Mass Effect Field Expert
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Curious... how much camber are you running up front?
I knew you'd ask me. I thought I had the info on hand but I don't. I need to research because whatever it is...it needs more lol.

This is what I was thinking. The 295's I was running before had about 2mm to strut clearance. I know 305/30/19 has been done (and was my original/current goal) I was just curious about the 325 since I had those on hand and didn't see any documentation by people not running coilovers. I agree with proper tire stretch a 305 would be best/tighter. Regardless, gonna have to increase camber to get the 11 under the fender.

305 wide would allow you to increase front camber to the amounts required to limit the poke (and desired for track use): around -2-2.5 deg.
This was what I needed, thank you.

That's hilarious. Reminds me when I asked my dad to let me know when I was too close to the curb and he said "it it bumps, it's too close"

For a handling-focused car it's too wide. I don't know why else he'd be going through the trouble of running 19x11s up front, so I assume that's his goal.
That is correct sir. Also, I would like to run a square setup for rotating purposes to maximize tire life. These things aren't cheap.

Thank you all for the replies.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
305 square is the setup, man! Your wheels have a little tighter offset than the typical +50, +52, so you have a little more work to do, but it's still doable. You may need to slot the top strut hole to put it out a tad, and then add more back in via plates.

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Just FYI... been running my track alignment on the street for quite a while now and my front tire wear seems to be fairly normal (-3 camber and 0 toe) I do take corners a wee bit harder than the average driver though.

So... if you need up to -3 to tuck, it is doable on the street as long as toe is set properly. By doable I mean you shouldn’t have too much accelerated inner tire wear. Toe generally is the main culprit for prematurely killing tires.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Just FYI... been running my track alignment on the street for quite a while now and my front tire wear seems to be fairly normal (-3 camber and 0 toe) I do take corners a wee bit harder than the average driver though.

So... if you need up to -3 to tuck, it is doable on the street as long as toe is set properly. By doable I mean you shouldn’t have too much accelerated inner tire wear. Toe generally is the main culprit for prematurely killing tires.
How much life are your getting out of your tires and which tires do you run?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Bingo.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
How much life are your getting out of your tires and which tires do you run?
This is the first time running this much camber on the street so I don't have a lot of data to share (I used to swap between street and track alignments before)... I have been running these tires between 5-7k miles so far and wear is fairly even across the thread. I am currently running 275/40/19 Hankook V12s squared on 19x10s... not the greatest daily tire in my opinion, but got them at a great deal during a sale.

OP
OP
Digital_Synapse

Digital_Synapse

Mass Effect Field Expert
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
305 square is the setup, man! Your wheels have a little tighter offset than the typical +50, +52, so you have a little more work to do, but it's still doable. You may need to slot the top strut hole to put it out a tad, and then add more back in via plates.
What work exactly? I really really really don't want to slot the struts.

What CC plates do you have? I have the Steeda ones.
Sponsored