Sponsored

Hopefully I'll be back in an EB soon!!

scott2683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Hey folks,

I sold my ecoboost last fall, I regretting it very shortly!! I've missed the car a lot. I think I have found a great deal on a used ecoboost. The car has 12k miles and I can pick it up for $20000.

The car is an early model with a build date of 09/02/2014. Is there anything I need to be concerned about? The car is located at a dealership and has been serviced and gone through. From what I can tell it doesn't appear to have ever been modded, factory intake, exhaust, no window tint, factory wheels, so I would say it was probably adult owned.

The ford dealership told me that it is a one owner and they picked it up at an "all ford" car auction. Anything I need to look out for? Any advice?
Sponsored

OP
OP

scott2683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Base, I can't find a premium ecoboost around here for under $26000 used

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
I'd run the VIN and do a carfax on it...due diligence ;)

You will have a longer powertrain warranty on it than if you bought it new (100,000 miles IIRC) assuming it's a Ford certified used car...:thumbsup:

Might want to bring a borescope with you and see how bad the carbon buildup on the intake valves is (known issue with Ecoboost engines...).

Sponsored

OP
OP

scott2683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Thanks for the advice. I have a buddy with a small dealership, I'll have him run the VIN for me. If I remember right the car was on lease but I agree, I do need to find out for sure. I can't see it being a rental car, but it could have been. If that's the case I'm going to decline.

oustaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully 2016 Mustang
Base, I can't find a premium ecoboost around here for under $26000 used
Seen a couple of used premium ecoboost for ard 21k-22k on autotrader...For this price,I say get used premium.

OP
OP

scott2683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Seen a couple of used premium ecoboost for ard 21k-22k on autotrader...For this price,I say get used premium.
Really? I'll have to check them out! I haven't seen any that cheap.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Can 't you get a new one for $30K?
I've seen new base ecoboosts (with the MT) advertised for as low as $24k in "dealer special" ads in the newspaper. An automatic adds about $1,700 on to the cost. The performance package adds about $2,000 onto the cost. There's no way you're going to negotiate a brand new car on the lot down as low as $20k ;) (if you do, you deserve the "deal of the year" award!).

A base package ecoboost, bone stock, has an MSRP of around $25,500 or so...

Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
The ford dealership told me that it is a one owner and they picked it up at an "all ford" car auction. Anything I need to look out for? Any advice?
You see the carfax / autocheck? I like to see a used car that was originally bought in my city, or at least in the same state.

Is the car advertised with a warranty? If the car has ever had an engine tune, that could impact a warranty. Maybe you can get the dealership to sign a piece of paper asserting that the car hasn't had a tune.

Ideally you would get an independent mechanic to inspect the car. Have them put it on a lift, etc.

You might also try to go over the car with a paint meter. Salesman may have one, or you can buy your own on ebay. They are cheap these days and you can resell it after a purchase.

Also, research a good new price, and try to buy one year old car at least 5000 below that, if not more. That will cover you if the car requires any parts, such as a new clutch.

OP
OP

scott2683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
You see the carfax / autocheck? I like to see a used car that was originally bought in my city, or at least in the same state.

Is the car advertised with a warranty? If the car has ever had an engine tune, that could impact a warranty. Maybe you can get the dealership to sign a piece of paper asserting that the car hasn't had a tune.

Ideally you would get an independent mechanic to inspect the car. Have them put it on a lift, etc.

You might also try to go over the car with a paint meter. Salesman may have one, or you can buy your own on ebay. They are cheap these days and you can resell it after a purchase.

Also, research a good new price, and try to buy one year old car at least 5000 below that, if not more. That will cover you if the car requires any parts, such as a new clutch.
This is my only issue with the auto check

"Fleet, rental and/or lease use record(s)" - If it was a lease trade in I don't care, but if the car was a rental I definitely do not want it. Around where I live anyway, the cheapest I can find a new base is $24500-$25500.

I'm definitely in no hurry to purchase, and I could possibly find a better deal later on, but I feel like the warmer it gets the more prices are going to go up.

I also don't want to get myself in a position where I'm upside down on a loan either.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
Is this a Manual or Auto? One upside to the Manuals is they won't be rentals. I can't remember what the autocheck records looked like, but I think its possible to parse the rentals from the leases. Does Ford offer one year leases ?

Koons has EB down at $22-22.5. I think there is another $1000 in fine print, so you probably could get a local dealer down to $23. And then a target price on a used model might be $18k. Add more for options, such as Automatic.

OP
OP

scott2683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Thats a good point Paul, it is a manual, so it probably wasn't a rental car.

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
Was the fire risk recall done?
Sponsored