Sponsored

Hood Corrosion!

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Hi,
2017 Mustang GT here with about 18KM on it....I noticed on the weekend I have the dreaded aluminum hood corrosion! Two small spots; one obvious, the other less so - no doubt they will grow. I went to my dealer today and they took pictures to make a warranty claim. With the claim I included an estimate too to redo the PPF on the new hood after it cures. I have heard from some they have been able to get this covered. My question is regarding a Ford replacement hood per the TSB. With the new hood and if the Ford affiliated body shop follows the procedure when prepping and painting the new hood, what is the likelihood of the corrosion coming back? I believe the issue starts with the QA on the hood. Did Ford fix the issue? I certainly would hope the part has been better QA'd and updated! My last question is what is the warranty on the new hood once painted and installed as it pertains to aluminum corrosion? Always look forward to everyone's comments. Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Typically, a repair made under warranty does not extend the warranty on that repair. So your warranty on the hood will remain as it was before, regardless if you made a claim or not. Technically, it’s possible you could have a repair made on the last day of your warranty, and have the new part fail the next day when the warranty is expired, and the repair would be at your expense, even though it’s one day old. In practice, there are goodwill programs for these extreme cases that are very rare.

TCP24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Hi,
2017 Mustang GT here with about 18KM on it....I noticed on the weekend I have the dreaded aluminum hood corrosion! Two small spots; one obvious, the other less so - no doubt they will grow. I went to my dealer today and they took pictures to make a warranty claim. With the claim I included an estimate too to redo the PPF on the new hood after it cures. I have heard from some they have been able to get this covered. My question is regarding a Ford replacement hood. If the Ford affiliated body shop follows the procedure when prepping and painting the new hood, is the likelihood of corrosion starting in the future less than it is starting on a hood that comes off the line? I certainly would hope the part has been better QA'd and updated! My last question is what is the warranty on the new hood once painted and installed as it pertains to
Hi,
2017 Mustang GT here with about 18KM on it....I noticed on the weekend I have the dreaded aluminum hood corrosion! Two small spots; one obvious, the other less so - no doubt they will grow. I went to my dealer today and they took pictures to make a warranty claim. With the claim I included an estimate too to redo the PPF on the new hood after it cures. I have heard from some they have been able to get this covered. My question is regarding a Ford replacement hood. If the Ford affiliated body shop follows the procedure when prepping and painting the new hood, is the likelihood of corrosion starting in the future less than it is starting on a hood that comes off the line? I certainly would hope the part has been better QA'd and updated! My last question is what is the warranty on the new hood once painted and installed as it pertains to aluminum corrosion? Always look forward to everyone's comments. Thanks.
aluminum corrosion? Always look forward to everyone's comments. Thanks.
Hey! I ran into this with my 16 GT/CS. My dealership mentioned it was because the paint couldn't handle heat very well. (If I remember correctly, or if this was a cover story or a true reason). They corrected the paint they used in the following year models. If they are repainting it, you should not run into this issue anymore. Atleast I didn't. Ford dealership took care of this for me, hope they will do the same for you. Cheers.

OP
OP

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Hey! I ran into this with my 16 GT/CS. My dealership mentioned it was because the paint couldn't handle heat very well. (If I remember correctly, or if this was a cover story or a true reason). They corrected the paint they used in the following year models. If they are repainting it, you should not run into this issue anymore. Atleast I didn't. Ford dealership took care of this for me, hope they will do the same for you. Cheers.
Thanks. I have looked into this a little more. It would appear iron particles in the hood production process can get imbedded in the aluminum along seam around the hood which later can start the issue. Once you have it, the hood is apparently not fixable as the problem will come back if you repair it. This goes back to the release of the TSB to provide a new hood. I have also heard this issue was later corrected by Ford on the replacement hoods; although I say this lightly as I ready this on line only. I am glad in your case your issue has not reoccurred.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Any luck with the warranty? I just noticed three spots on the leading edge of my hood... also a 2017. 5-year corrosion warranty expires in mid-April 2022.

Sponsored

OP
OP

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Any luck with the warranty? I just noticed three spots on the leading edge of my hood... also a 2017. 5-year corrosion warranty expires in mid-April 2022.
Hi,
The warranty request for a new hood was approved in early November (about a week and a half after submittal). I was told the hood is on back order and at this point I don't expect to see it until the new year (Jan/Feb) at the earliest.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,
The warranty request for a new hood was approved in early November (about a week and a half after submittal). I was told the hood is on back order and at this point I don't expect to see it until the new year (Jan/Feb) at the earliest.
Thanks, I've had some pretty bad experiences with Ford's warranty so that's promising to hear.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Figured I'd follow up to add another data point for anyone else having this issue.

I went to my dealer today and had them look at the hood, they approved a replacement no questions asked... Of course, they have to submit to Ford for final approval, but they don't see any issues that would cause it to be denied. Body shop guy took one look at it and said "Wow, that's not right". Same deal, have to wait a couple of months for the new hood to come in because of all the supply chain issues, but glad they are covering it!

OP
OP

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Figured I'd follow up to add another data point for anyone else having this issue.

I went to my dealer today and had them look at the hood, they approved a replacement no questions asked... Of course, they have to submit to Ford for final approval, but they don't see any issues that would cause it to be denied. Body shop guy took one look at it and said "Wow, that's not right". Same deal, have to wait a couple of months for the new hood to come in because of all the supply chain issues, but glad they are covering it!
If you go ahead with Ford approving the hood, once the hood arrives work out the paint method with the body shop for a perfect paint match as Ford will just want to paint the new hood and that may not net out the results you want. Blending into the fenders (& painting the hood inserts) is required for a perfect match fyi. The body shop (in my case it is affiliated with the dealership) will go back to the dealer to confirm these details and the dealer will get it approved through Ford. It is from what I understand a two step process.

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
Just so everyone knows, this has been going on since like 2005 with the s197. My 2014 had this pretty bad and ford repainted under warranty early on in its life and it came back again anyway. It’s just an unfortunate side effect to these fords it seems. Contamination when painting apparently.

Sponsored
OP
OP

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Just so everyone knows, this has been going on since like 2005 with the s197. My 2014 had this pretty bad and ford repainted under warranty early on in its life and it came back again anyway. It’s just an unfortunate side effect to these fords it seems. Contamination when painting apparently.
My understanding is iron particles can get under the aluminum seam edge of some of these hoods in the manufacturing process which causes the corrosion. It is not a paint defect. Problem usually shows up 4-5 years after the original manufacture date. I read somewhere the replacement hoods they are releasing to fix the issue should do so as they have addressed this in their manufacturing process but I am sure with some hoods it comes back.

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
My understanding is iron particles can get under the aluminum seam edge of some of these hoods in the manufacturing process which causes the corrosion. It is not a paint defect. Problem usually shows up 4-5 years after the original manufacture date. I read somewhere the replacement hoods they are releasing to fix the issue should do so as they have addressed this in their manufacturing process but I am sure with some hoods it comes back.
Maybe it’s diff now. My old s197 was manufactured in 2013 as a 2014 model and in 2015 it got the corrosion and ford offered to repaint under warranty which I told them wouldn’t work., but they did it anyway.
Sponsored