Sponsored

HID lights in my JEEP grand cherokee

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
ok i'm absolutely mystified by this problem and how to fix it.

I converted my lo beams to a HID kit. simple easy works. great now i can blind people. but i'm playing around with it and i use the key fob to unlock the car and the lights come on, ok good. then i get in the Jeep turn it on and then turn the lights on, no worky?!?! i'm like wtf i blew a fuse. ok so i search for shorts and fuses. all good. hrmmmmmm. ok reset the cables on the the HID's. turn the car on lights work!. ok, hrmmmmm. turn car off lock it, light flicker like they are suppose to. then stops working all again till i reset the cables. This is what i THINK is going on... anyone with HID experience chime in. I think the HID's want full 12v and when you use the key fob it's sending some lower amount, kinda like the less power some systems send to daytime running lights and the ballasts don't like it and shut them off till it's reset with a cable unplug. any idea how to fix that so no matter when power is sent to the lo beams it's full 12v?
Sponsored

OP
OP
mu5tang2016

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
i think i figured it out. you need a inline relay so the HID's get 12v all the time, day time running lights and the key fob lights send less then 12v and screw with the ballasts. so i found a 6$ relay that kicks all voltage to 12v on ebay. should be here in a couple days. old cars tho wouldn't need this

BlackMustang690

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt500
i think i figured it out. you need a inline relay so the HID's get 12v all the time, day time running lights and the key fob lights send less then 12v and screw with the ballasts. so i found a 6$ relay that kicks all voltage to 12v on ebay. should be here in a couple days. old cars tho wouldn't need this

yes, had this happen with the dodge ram I had. its the inline relay that need to work. since dodge, jeep and Chrysler use a similar "smart Junction box" to regulate all lights.
Sponsored