Help with battery replacement procedure

nicksalvadore24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Going to replace my battery soon. I've read up on procedure in other threads but would like to confirm what all needs to be done to do it right. I'm seeing it's as simple as:

1. Remove negative terminal
2. Remove positive terminal
3. Remove battery bracket
4. Old battery out
5. New battery in
6. Battery bracket on
7. Connect positive terminal
8. Connect negative terminal
9. Do BMS reset (as explained in this thread: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bms-reset-no-tools-required.151602/)

Anything I'm missing?? I've seen multiple threads/videos online where people just do this process, but I've also seen others where people talk about a KAM, to keep the car connected to 12v while replacing the battery. Is keeping it connected to 12v (via battery pack or whatever) absolutely required? I don't care about losing memory stuff in the car. I can reset my MyMode and memory seats pretty easily šŸ˜‚
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Reads good to me. I've disconnected my battery several times with no memory functions lost.

The only thing I'd add or be aware of are the sounds the car will make when reconnecting. You'll attach everything and the car will be quiet. After about 30s or so, the car will recognize power has returned and is stable. Clicks, buzzing and jolts will sound. Normal.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Rip the battery out and put the new one in. Not complicated. My battery has been in and out 3 times over the past few weeks with no issues.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
The manual says you should reset the window bounce back while you let it idle for one minute first time you start it with a new battery. All you do is hold the down button down for 3 or 4 seconds after the window reaches the bottom and then raise the window and hold the up button for 3 or 4 seconds after the window reaches the top. That lets the computer learn where top and bottom is and if your finger gets caught in there the window will reverse. Without doing the relearn the window will keep applying pressure as long the the button is held up or down.

OP
OP
nicksalvadore24

nicksalvadore24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Rip the battery out and put the new one in. Not complicated. My battery has been in and out 3 times over the past few weeks with no issues.
Cheers. That's what I thought. It's remarkable to me how I think I can have my head around something...then I read more forums...and think I have no clue what I'm talking about. People love to overcomplicate and make you feel like you're going to blow your car up by doing something as simple as changing a battery šŸ˜‚

Sponsored

OP
OP
nicksalvadore24

nicksalvadore24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
The manual says you should reset the window bounce back while you let it idle for one minute first time you start it with a new battery. All you do is hold the down button down for 3 or 4 seconds after the window reaches the bottom and then raise the window and hold the up button for 3 or 4 seconds after the window reaches the top. That lets the computer learn where top and bottom is and if your finger gets caught in there the window will reverse. Without doing the relearn the window will keep applying pressure as long the the button is held up or down.
Thanks for this! Had no idea about this

DrewT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
Interesting. This probably isnā€™t related but Iā€™ve always had an issue where the passenger side window doesnā€™t seem to retract enough to ease the door closure. What I mean is that you have to slam it harder than the driverā€™s door which I think is because the passenger window is making a seal during initial door closure. If I have the driverā€™s window down or driverā€™s door open the passenger door closes nicely with little effort. I asked a mechanic if there was a way to make the passenger window retract a little more when opening the door but he didnā€™t think adjustment was possible.

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 6R80 - Paxton 2200SL
Interesting. This probably isnā€™t related but Iā€™ve always had an issue where the passenger side window doesnā€™t seem to retract enough to ease the door closure. What I mean is that you have to slam it harder than the driverā€™s door which I think is because the passenger window is making a seal during initial door closure. If I have the driverā€™s window down or driverā€™s door open the passenger door closes nicely with little effort. I asked a mechanic if there was a way to make the passenger window retract a little more when opening the door but he didnā€™t think adjustment was possible.
There's also a way to adjust the window lean with the door panel off. I believe it was a bolt at the bottom that adjusts the tilt of the window rails. I adjusted mine to lean in a bit more so the window acts as a spring and lets the door pop open a bit nicer than when I first got it. It could be that? Possibly the drivers side is used more frequently and wore in

DrewT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
There's also a way to adjust the window lean with the door panel off. I believe it was a bolt at the bottom that adjusts the tilt of the window rails. I adjusted mine to lean in a bit more so the window acts as a spring and lets the door pop open a bit nicer than when I first got it. It could be that? Possibly the drivers side is used more frequently and wore in
I donā€™t think the driverā€™s door is just worn more. I bought the car new and the passenger door has always closed harder. A guy at the body shop thought the door itself was aligned nicely and didnā€™t want to mess with it. Iā€™m certain if the window retracted another 1/2ā€ when opening that it would close much easier.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I've replaced mine twice and have never had to reset anything, so the last step seems unnecessary.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ā“‡ā’¾ā’øā“€ā“Ž ā“ˆā“…ā’¶ā“ƒā’¾ā“ˆā’½
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I've replaced mine twice and have never had to reset anything, so the last step seems unnecessary.
Finally had to replace my OEM battery last fall. I just let it sit overnight.

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
Finally had to replace my OEM battery last fall. I just let it sit overnight.
Of course you don't "have to" reset the BMS, but that leaves me wondering why the process exists, and why Ford designed the system to take into account the battery's days in service. Just sayin'...
Sponsored