Sponsored

Help! VMP iat kit for whipple sc

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Help! I have a 2015 with a whipple stage 2 gen 2. Going to another tuner which requires the vmp iat kit to replace the original whipple iat setup. Can you please send pics or a pdf?

I called vmp and they dont have a pdf... i am a novice and dont want to mess it up!
Sponsored

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Kit comes with an instructions sheet, although kinda basic. It’s extremely simple though.

Find your current iat2 sensor, disconnect the cable to it and remove that cable from where it plugs into. Tape off the connector that extension was plugged in to. Carefully remove the iat2 sensor with the appropriate socket (it’s plastic and can break if not careful), I believe it’s 19mm. Screw in new brass VMP iat2 sensor. Find your maf plug on your intake (should be close to filter), unplug it, plug the vmp cable with the two ends in between the original cable and the maf sensor, then plug the other end into your new iat2 brass sensor.

Feel free to pm me or reply in here if you need any help, I just did it last weekend.

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Kit comes with an instructions sheet, although kinda basic. It’s extremely simple though.

Find your current iat2 sensor, disconnect the cable to it and remove that cable from where it plugs into. Tape off the connector that extension was plugged in to. Carefully remove the iat2 sensor with the appropriate socket (it’s plastic and can break if not careful), I believe it’s 19mm. Screw in new brass VMP iat2 sensor. Find your maf plug on your intake (should be close to filter), unplug it, plug the vmp cable with the two ends in between the original cable and the maf sensor, then plug the other end into your new iat2 brass sensor.

Feel free to pm me or reply in here if you need any help, I just did it last weekend.
Perfect! Thanks.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Perfect! Thanks.
You also need to change the HE pump to a “keyed source” as they call it.
Basically, the Whipple tune uses one of the IMRC plugs to turn the HE pump on and off, you need to change that.

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Basically, the Whipple tune uses one of the IMRC plugs to turn the HE pump on and off, you need to change that.
ah yea, must be a gen 3 thing. Gen 5 you wire to key source.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You’re 100% correct. I just checked the diagrams for the 18/19 for my own interest.
Cheers.

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
I had some issues getting the plastic sensor out of my blower because they come with a thread locker pre-applied. If it doesn't turn relatively freely, squirt a little bit of brake cleaner onto the threads between each turn. Just make sure to paper towel up the excess.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
PBD told me I don't have to do anything with the rewiring of the pump.

Drsmith33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
I have a gen 5 Whipple on my 18 and Lund told me I have to wire it to a key on source. Apparently the fuse Whipple uses (62) isn’t a key on source. Not sure what I need to do to complete this task

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have a gen 5 Whipple on my 18 and Lund told me I have to wire it to a key on source. Apparently the fuse Whipple uses (62) isn’t a key on source. Not sure what I need to do to complete this task
They just say that cause it used to not be on previous kits, they said the same to me too. It is key on. Go pop your hood and press the start button with your foot off the brake and you’ll see the coolant whirling through the reservoir and hear the pump whine.

Sponsored

Drsmith33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
They just say that cause it used to not be on previous kits, they said the same to me too. It is key on. Go pop your hood and press the start button with your foot off the brake and you’ll see the coolant whirling through the reservoir and hear the pump whine.
So the fuse 62 which is for abs is key on? I’ve been searching everywhere and everything I read says cut the plug off that plugs into the imrc connector and run one wire to hot fuse and the other to a ground

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So the fuse 62 which is for abs is key on? I’ve been searching everywhere and everything I read says cut the plug off that plugs into the imrc connector and run one wire to hot fuse and the other to a ground
It is 100% fine how whipple has you install it tapping into the ABS circuit. If you don’t believe me, flash the lund tune and conduct the test I previously said in my last post. The pump will turn on no matter what when key is on. This is for the gen 5 kit. Gen 3 is different and through the imrc harness I guess.

Drsmith33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
It is 100% fine how whipple has you install it tapping into the ABS circuit. If you don’t believe me, flash the lund tune and conduct the test I previously said in my last post. The pump will turn on no matter what when key is on. This is for the gen 5 kit. Gen 3 is different and through the imrc harness I guess.
I believe you. Did the older instructions wire it differently and that’s why they say to do it? I’m confused as to why they would tell me to do something I don’t need to do

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I believe you. Did the older instructions wire it differently and that’s why they say to do it? I’m confused as to why they would tell me to do something I don’t need to do
Yea, it’s because on the previous gen 3 kits they used a plug and play style solution by plugging into the imrc harness and controlling that via the special tune whipple uses. For some reason, lund just reminds everyone regardless to do it. I pointed it out to them when they told me the same thing that it is already wired key on, maybe just forgot or always say it out of caution.

Drsmith33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
Yea, it’s because on the previous gen 3 kits they used a plug and play style solution by plugging into the imrc harness and controlling that via the special tune whipple uses. For some reason, lund just reminds everyone regardless to do it. I pointed it out to them when they told me the same thing that it is already wired key on, maybe just forgot or always say it out of caution.
This plugs into the imrc harness also. I have a harness that plugs into the back of the block and that harness plugs into the imrc harness. Then I have the relay that plugs into the abs fuse. I’m so damn confused lol. This kind of stuff if why I use the forums. I’ll message Lund tomorrow and remind them that I’m using the abs fuse and tell them all is good. Thanks
Sponsored