Sponsored

Help Identifying This Knocking Noise

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
This almost sounds like the noise it was making after I first bought it and took it into Ford and was told it was piston slap.

However this was after me driving it awhile and not on start up.

It sounded louder on the passenger side to me. When I pressed the clutch in it didn’t change the noise at all.

I took it for an oil change yesterday at Ford. First one was free and I’ll be doing the rest. I had them use full synthetic 5w20 Motocraft obviously.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
That be the infamous tick that some previous gens had it intermittently, while it seems alot more prevalent with the gen 3.

Ford just released a statement saying this is nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That be the infamous tick that some previous gens had it intermittently, while it seems alot more prevalent with the gen 3.

Ford just released a statement saying this is nothing to worry about.
So the knocking is the “bbq tick”? Here I was thinking the typewriter sounding noise was the tick.

I had the knock early on when I bought it and then it went away. And now it’s back. Assuming they’re the same thing.

And just for the record I’m not up in arms about the bbq tick. I get that the engines are noisy. The lead tech I spoke to flatly said “the coyote engines are noisy mfers” which I understand.

Not Coyotes but my 05 F150 Lariat had a “knock”. It spent a month collectively over several trips in the shop with them basically replacing the entire top half of the motor only to have Ford come out and say “oh it’s the cam phasers and that’s normal”.

My 2010 FX4 makes the same noise. So I’m accepting of noisy engines. I just wanna make sure that I’m not having something other than the infamous tick. If it is just that...I’ll soldier on. I’ll prob take it to Ford to have it documented again just in case it does blow but other than that...I’ll keep driving it.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
The typewriter sound is probably the bbq tick. The knocking I would have probably missed entirely if I didn't have it myself. It's that dull thudding, right? Or is it the more high pitch metallic clank I occasionally hear? Man, these things are noisy, but I digress. The dull thudding, knocking sound seems to be related to the A/C and stretchy belt which is fixed with the tensioner kit for the A/C but apparently causes no harm.

I took mine in for the same sound, and everyone seemed a bit clueless. One new longblock later and it makes the exact same sound. Old engine had a bad camshaft which was probably found on dumb luck because nothing we were looking for pointed towards it.

EDIT: it's easier to hear in the cabin, too, right?

OP
OP
Ghost50

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The typewriter sound is probably the bbq tick. The knocking I would have probably missed entirely if I didn't have it myself. It's that dull thudding, right? Or is it the more high pitch metallic clank I occasionally hear? Man, these things are noisy, but I digress. The dull thudding, knocking sound seems to be related to the A/C and stretchy belt which is fixed with the tensioner kit for the A/C but apparently causes no harm.

I took mine in for the same sound, and everyone seemed a bit clueless. One new longblock later and it makes the exact same sound. Old engine had a bad camshaft which was probably found on dumb luck because nothing we were looking for pointed towards it.

EDIT: it's easier to hear in the cabin, too, right?
Yessir the dull thudding that kinda sounds like if you were hitting the bellhousing with a hammer or something. The metallic clank is the loudest of the two to me.

It’s loud in the cabin but only really when I’m in the garage and the sound is bouncing off the walls.

I’m glad that your bad camshaft was found though. How many miles did you have when they yanked the engine out and replaced it?

As an aside don’t feel I’ve got a loss of power and I had it on the track last Friday too and plan to take it out this Friday as well.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yessir the dull thudding that kinda sounds like if you were hitting the bellhousing with a hammer or something. The metallic clank is the loudest of the two to me.

It’s loud in the cabin but only really when I’m in the garage and the sound is bouncing off the walls.

I’m glad that your bad camshaft was found though. How many miles did you have when they yanked the engine out and replaced it?

As an aside don’t feel I’ve got a loss of power and I had it on the track last Friday too and plan to take it out this Friday as well.
About 1000 miles when it was finally yanked. Mine did feel down on power and inconsistent. Sometimes second gear would hold me back in my seat, other times second gear felt like fourth gear. Then, every several starts, it would begin to idle terribly and bounce around. That, too, reinforced my decision to take it in. The new engine feels much better. Both rattle at 2k rpms (new one goes away when warm, old never did), and both make the same knock/thudding. The new one has bbq tick (old didn't), old one had a much more prominent metallic clanging sound that sounded like a piston bouncing around in the skirt. The new one, I think, has it but it's much more faint to the point that it could just be me hearing things. There's also a very loud ticking, at idle, that I narrowed down to the DI pump with a stethoscope. I then recalled someone saying the DI pump is wrapped in sound deadening material? Well, if it is, the current one definitely isn't and that would explain the ticking.

I really had no idea just how down on power the old engine felt until I drove it again. It almost felt like a new car. So it is what it is, I guess. If you're fine with the sound then I'd forget about it. The A/C and belt are probably from the old engine, hence why it's probably still thudding.

I just wish I had more seat time. As soon as I got it back I barely had a week before it dropped to below 20° F. Damn pp1 tires...
Sponsored