The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Well I'm out. Wallet is £210 lighter. That was the cost of the tyre (with £20 off apparently). No charge for the change or cleaning out the old one.

They were very reluctant to do a repair after having the foam stuff in it. The guy was convinced that any patch the put in would fall off when the tyres got hot, even if done properly. The liquid apparently seeps into the rubber?!

Looking back, I could have stayed put, called a mobile repair service and tried that but there wouldn't have been any guarantee that they would have had a tyre available as quickly as I got one today and of course they may not have been able to repair it anyway.

Still have the tyre so may take it somewhere and get it repaired.

I may have the record for being late to work too...I do 9-5. Rocked up at 4.50pm :cool:
I wouldn't have even bothered coming in...

£210 isn't too bad! i expected them to rinse you, but at 170(RRP) a tyre it aint too bad :lol:
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
40 quid to change a tire is well and truly rinsed lol
Bearing in mind ford want £80 an hour as standard rates... it's not bad in comparison lmao.

(Not rinsed vs Normal Ford, got off light... still rinsed)

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Good call, that looks like what I have got in the boot. My logic was that I could go back to Ford with any problems.

Had just saved £4000 by not buying a GT, so could afford to splash out £400 for some peace of mind.
Its cost me £270 for a spare wheel with the kit, and that's flown over, and I have a GT

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Its cost me £270 for a spare wheel with the kit, and that's flown over, and I have a GT
What size is it as the ford one is only 18" and won't fit over the front brembo caliper.

Sponsored

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
Considering how infrequently I've had punctures in my lifetime (I'm probably gonna pay for saying that) and that the car's covered for the first year with an assistance package... to me it makes sense to just stick with the gunk in the boot... sorry... trunk... as the £270-400 cost people are mentioning here for a spare kit plus all the faffing around rotating wheels around the car (if it is at all possible to swap front with rear if it's the front goes bang) will cover a few recovery trucks at whatever unearthly hour of the day or week this may happen, and at least I'm not carting the extra weight around in the boot (which will help offset the weight of the spare tyre around my waist) and leave me more money in the beginning to spend on extras (nice GT350 steering wheel methinks) ;) !

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
What size is it as the ford one is only 18" and won't fit over the front brembo caliper.
I dont have the front brembos
so makes it easier for me i suppose, as the US cars only get the brembos under the PP package

Silver Surfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost Convertible Auto Custom
Considering how infrequently I've had punctures in my lifetime (I'm probably gonna pay for saying that) and that the car's covered for the first year with an assistance package... to me it makes sense to just stick with the gunk in the boot... sorry... trunk... as the £270-400 cost people are mentioning here for a spare kit plus all the faffing around rotating wheels around the car (if it is at all possible to swap front with rear if it's the front goes bang) will cover a few recovery trucks at whatever unearthly hour of the day or week this may happen, and at least I'm not carting the extra weight around in the boot (which will help offset the weight of the spare tyre around my waist) and leave me more money in the beginning to spend on extras (nice GT350 steering wheel methinks) ;) !
I had a proper blow-out a few years ago, picked up some metal debris which wrecked the tyre. All the foam in the world would not have sealed it.
I was driving through the Scottish borders, failing light and 'no service' on the mobile. Luckily I had a spare wheel and was on my way again in 20 minutes.
The Ford spare is not too heavy, probably less that my wife's handbag. And you lose the compressor kit.

Stay lucky guys

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
For the GT and no emergency spare wheel my concern is getting stranded with a significant tyre failure which can't be fixed even temporarily using the can of foam and then calling out whatever roadside assistance is available but even they can't help because they can't move the car.

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
For the GT and no emergency spare wheel my concern is getting stranded with a significant tyre failure which can't be fixed even temporarily using the can of foam and then calling out whatever roadside assistance is available but even they can't help because they can't move the car.
Well the only choice if you've got a Brembo shod GT would appear to be - that an OEM full size 9.5Jx19 rear wheel can't/shouldn't be fitted on the front as the offset is too great (correct me on this if I'm wrong), leaving the only option for a full size spare to be an OEM full size 9Jx19 front wheel which will fit on the front or back... but will (according to another post) stick up out of the wheel well in the boot/trunk when stored.

Edit: Or you could go for a 5x114.3 PCD wheel from another manufacturer (OEM or aftermarket) - for example there's an aftermarket alloy wheel available for the Chrysler Grand Voyager (<2007) which is 5X114.3 PCD 7.5Jx19 ET38 which should clear the brakes (I say should, but haven't tried it so don't take this as gospel) and will sit much lower in the spare wheel well, with the only issue being that the centre bore is 71.6 rather than 70.5, but there may be a hub centric ring available to sort this issue... or just don't drive too fast while you've got it temporarily fitted to your car!
Sponsored

Last edited: