Sponsored

HELP !! AC Clutch Disengage @ WOT? Burning up AC Clutches Will

cdmustang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have 2016 Mustang with built L&M motor, VMP Gen 3 with 8 Rib Conversion. We are having issue burning AC clutches at will. 4 Deep so far. Also 4 deep for AC compressors. Shimming and measurements have been checked and rechecked every time. During low rpm driving seems to be fine, half throttle or more AC clutch gets spun, burns up and fails. Should the AC clutch disengage at WOT or certain RPM? Running 75MM upper and 5 OD. Making 18 lbs boost. VMP is saying it is shimming but has been checked and measured so many time. We have to be missing something? Possibly electrical keeping AC clutch engage and spinning at high RPM?

Prior set up, was stock motor, Roush SC , 6 Rib for 3 years. No issues under WOT or any other throttle position.

Anyone ever encountered this issue? If so how resolved? Any input is helpful. Car has been sidelined for a month because of this. Please don't say turn off AC. lol. Unless I am driving like a grandma, ac clutch fails as soon as I accelerate.
Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
AC clutch is supposed to disengage after a certain RPM, yes. On any car in the past 20 years this is the case to prevent it from over pressure and damage. Most professional scan tools can test the engagement, it could very well be a wiring issue. Pull the fuse and see if the clutch is still engaged with the motor running? Unless the A/C is on only the outer pulley should be turning, the inner should not.

Be aware the air gap for the clutch is very small and precise and has to be shimmed to a certain spec to prevent drag from running it all the time.

OP
OP
cdmustang2016

cdmustang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
AC clutch is supposed to disengage after a certain RPM, yes. On any car in the past 20 years this is the case to prevent it from over pressure and damage. Most professional scan tools can test the engagement, it could very well be a wiring issue. Pull the fuse and see if the clutch is still engaged with the motor running? Unless the A/C is on only the outer pulley should be turning, the inner should not.

Be aware the air gap for the clutch is very small and precise and has to be shimmed to a certain spec to prevent drag from running it all the time.
It has been shimmed over and over to VMP specs. We are trying to find the tuning tables to disengage it RPM, but so far no luck.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
It has been shimmed over and over to VMP specs. We are trying to find the tuning tables to disengage it RPM, but so far no luck.
So it is disengaged with the A/C off? Just trying to understand the problem better. Honestly I'm not sure that would even exist as something you can change, it might just be hard coded into the OS.

OP
OP
cdmustang2016

cdmustang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So it is disengaged with the A/C off? Just trying to understand the problem better. Honestly I'm not sure that would even exist as something you can change, it might just be hard coded into the OS.
Yes - disengages with AC off
Sponsored