Sponsored

Heavy clutch

tommyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP manual
Hi. So I purchased a used 2021 gt manual with 6000 miles on it a year ago. The clutch seemed heavier than normal but unfortunately I didn't make an issue of it at the time. Well it's become more and more difficult to drive the car in traffic . A trans shop believes it is an aftermarket pressure plate that's heavier than oem. So if I want to keep this car I absolutely have to remove the existing p.plate for a lighter one. Besides the oem plate is there another alternative? I just want to enjoy driving a manual again. Any advice is appreciated. By the way,Ford was no help
Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Check to see if spring has been removed first(it’s inside right above the clutch pedal).

second go to gym and work out your legs if you can

Third you have the option to get the stock clutch back on if that’s the case, the stock clutch is way to light imo (that’s why I put the steeda clutch spring on mine and it’s perfect now) Or a lighter aftermarket replacement.

Last edited:

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Thanks. I have the steeda clutch spring in now
Made no difference
Thats strange. I hope someone here has another idea but I am afraid its probably a heavy aftermarket clutch. The S550 clutches are super light stock, in fact my S197 GT clutch was heavier than my current Mach 1.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I felt the Steeda clutch pedal spring made the pedal heavier, but better feel.
The OEM clutch pedal spring made the pedal lighter, but more numb.
Yep you are right. It does give it a more linear feel but it gives it some weight which I like. The stock one felt like a feather to me.

CarmeloS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carmelo
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands
Definitely watching

I remember the 3v Clutch in the '05-10, it was a leg press. Cyclones and Coyotes are as light as my old Audi and my Bronco, so something was definitely done

stang1087

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
There is a large plug on the driver side of the block you can pop out and see the flywheel. It's pretty much where the starter is located but on the driver side. I believe all clutches for 18+ cars are sold as a kit with a flywheel. You should be able to easily see if the flywheel is billet of cast.

I put in a McLeod RST and the pedal feel is comparable to stock. That's an option if you have a stock clutch that is trashed.

OP
OP

tommyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP manual
Thanks guys for your imput. I'm waiting for an appointment to discuss my options. But for sure what ever is in there is coming out.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I have the steeda clutch spring in now
Made no difference
The clutch pedal assist spring assists your press on the pedal, it lowers pedal effort.

So the lighter steeda spring causes a heavier pedal. (less assist = heavier feel)

Go back to the stock assist spring if you want a lighter clutch feel.

Sponsored
OP
OP

tommyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP manual
So a local trans shop (very reputable) said the job to replace the clutch to oem will be about $2200. A Ford dealership said the job will start at around $3000 and could be as high as $5000. Maybe I should sell lol.

CarmeloS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carmelo
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands
So a local trans shop (very reputable) said the job to replace the clutch to oem will be about $2200. A Ford dealership said the job will start at around $3000 and could be as high as $5000. Maybe I should sell lol.
what mods do you have or planning on getting? There are better aftermarket alternatives

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP