Sponsored

GTPP to M-FR3A-M8 Track Pack and other goodies

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Yesterday I left my car with m6g member Grimace's shop in Northern VA to get my GTPP suspension upgraded with:
1. M-FR3A-M8 - Ford track handling pack
2. BMR TCA045 - spherical vertical links
3. BMR CB005 - cradle bushing and lockout kit
4. Steeda subframe alignment kit
5. Steeda rear diff inserts (red)

Installing soon (will try to tackle next week with tools on order):
1. BMR BK055 - rear LCA bushing
2. Ford Performance toe link knuckle bearing

Initial impression: Grimace did an awesome job! There are no squeaks or any odd sounds whatsoever. The most noticeable differences are in steering and braking. The car is extremely composed as a whole, but I immediately think I am in track mode with the steering when I first start the car and then track mode takes the steering to an whole other level. I did middle setting on front sway and firm on rear. I personally like heavy steering and it's much heavier.

The braking has improved substantially with the stiffer suspension. There is no nose dive at all which for a half second makes me feel like the brakes are wet or not engaging even though they definitely are. It is just a psychological reaction because I am so used to the car pitching forward as I brake.

As far as NVH - this is a daily driver and I put almost 20K mi a year on my car presently. There is a bit more road noise from having a stiffer suspension, but nothing that is really that noticeable to me. It sounds like it should - I am hearing things and getting road feedback that I expect with a higher performing suspension and I'd be disappointed if I wasn't hearing/feeling that feedback. As for gear whine with the rear diff inserts - I can only hear it on throttle at parking lot speeds if the radio is off and I listen for it. I have an ARH catback with a good rumble, so I'm sure it drowns out some things, but the gear whine is not consequential for me at all - barely noticeable and I notice a lot. All it takes is the slightest road/wind/tire noise once you are going over 10 mph and I can't hear the gear whine (in my car).

Overall - it feels like a brand new car and a true sports car. I had a 2002 WS6 which weighed about 3350 lbs and a solid rear axle. It didn't handle bumps in the road well, but otherwise handled pretty well. Finally I feel like my Mustang is the sports car I wanted from the start. Great handling and I'm more connected with the car and road. I reminds me of how my lighter, stripped down Trans AM with suspension upgrades was 15 yrs ago, but better.

The GTPP suspension is good and I still would have gotten that package if only for the brakes, but I have no regrets with the upgrades I've made. The RLCA bearing and toe link bearing will finish it off for me. At some point I may upgrade the stock sway bar connectors as they're probably one of the weakest links left, but otherwise I am extremely satisfied.
Sponsored

THE_AHJ

AuthorityHvngJurisdiction
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Metrolink
:thumbsup: I've been looking at the FRPP Track Package.

OP
OP
Stripler

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
I'd recommend it to anyone wanting more from their suspension. Is it excessive for a daily driver? Absolutely. But nothing about our cars is logical as a daily driver. I wanted a high performance, but streetable setup and I'm very pleased. I feel like you are always getting the benefits of suspension mods regardless of how hard you're pushing it.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Great review! I have a very similar setup. The RLCA bearing and toe-knuckle bearing will improve the handling even further. You're totally right on about the steering. It feels much heavier and a lot of feedback from the road on my car.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'd recommend it to anyone wanting more from their suspension. Is it excessive for a daily driver? Absolutely. But nothing about our cars is logical as a daily driver. I wanted a high performance, but streetable setup and I'm very pleased. I feel like you are always getting the benefits of suspension mods regardless of how hard you're pushing it.
I wouldn't call it "excessive for a daily driver". Its excessive for driving to the mall or work, but if you occasionally track or aurocross the car, those days count too right? It's a pretty good all around set up if a bit light on camber. But your mom won't be a fan.

Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Same here. Really torn on which route to go: The Ford route, with a complete package designed by the same people who designed the car. Or the "name brand aftermarket" route, I.E. Steeda, BMR, etc.

You know the FRPP kit will work well together, but you have that "well, what if it's better?" itch in the back of your mind regarding the aftermarket. This isn't like trying on shoes at the store, unfortunately, especially when you'll be doing the work yourself to save money. :tsk:

@Stripler : Were you able to get the car aligned to factory specs? I don't see any camber adjustment plates on your parts list. This is one thing that I'm concerned about. If I lower the car approximately 1" all around, ala the FRPP kit you used, can a Ford dealer align the car to factory specs without camber plates installed? I'm currently bone-stock, suspension wise and the car steers so dead-center with zero pull, shimmy or funny business, that it almost drives itself. I want to keep that.

Also, and this is very subjective: Would you say the FRPP package beats you up on the daily drive? One interesting thing that you and I have in common is that our Mustangs are our daily drivers and we both put a lot of miles on them. That's something I don't see too much on this forum. I have been in some cars (non-Mustangs too) that the suspension is so stiff it has almost no flex...like riding in a go-kart where the wheels are hard connected to the chassis, no bushings, springs or shocks. I do not want that level of harshness. Again, I know this is very subjective, but I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stripler

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Same here. Really torn on which route to go: The Ford route, with a complete package designed by the same people who designed the car. Or the "name brand aftermarket" route, I.E. Steeda, BMR, etc.

You know the FRPP kit will work well together, but you have that "well, what if it's better?" itch in the back of your mind regarding the aftermarket. This isn't like trying on shoes at the store, unfortunately, especially when you'll be doing the work yourself to save money. :tsk:
[MENTION=16024]Stripler[/MENTION]: Were you able to get the car aligned to factory specs? I don't see any camber adjustment plates on your parts list. This is one thing that I'm concerned about. If I lower the car approximately 1" all around, ala the FRPP kit you used, can a Ford dealer align the car to factory specs without camber plates installed? I'm currently bone-stock, suspension wise and the car steers so dead-center with zero pull, shimmy or funny business, that it almost drives itself. I want to keep that.
You should be able to get it aligned to the FRPP track handling pack specs without camber plates. I think the FRPP track specs are more aggressive than the GTPP, so if you want the stock GTPP camber, you may need the plates.

That is based off research I've done. I am waiting a week to get the alignment done to let the suspension settle. I'm replacing my tires anyway so I'm not too concerned about uneven tire wear for a week and I won't drive it much. The car doesn't seem too out of alignment as is right now.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I don't have the GTPP, I have a GT with the Premium package. I am assuming the GTPP alignment specs are diff from the stock GT specs, then? I drive almost 100 miles a day, so tire wear is of the utmost importance to me. So alignment post-install is something I need to 100% iron-out before I buy any parts.

THE_AHJ

AuthorityHvngJurisdiction
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Metrolink
Good info here guys! It's also my DD and do 45 miles a day. I don't track and want to change wheel setup but want a clean 1" drop. I'd do other springs but I'm OCD about having everything jive so the FRPP seems like my ticket.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Good info here guys! It's also my DD and do 45 miles a day. I don't track and want to change wheel setup but want a clean 1" drop. I'd do other springs but I'm OCD about having everything jive so the FRPP seems like my ticket.
We're both in the exact same bucket. I want a clean 1" drop all around, nothing radical. Also looking for better handling without more NVH or any funky wear on the tires. Slightly stiffer ride is fine by me, as long as I get all the above.

The problem is most of the above with the exception of tire wear are entirely subjective. What might be bone-jarring to me might be "a little rough" for someone else. :frusty:

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I have the Ford Racing track springs and shocks from the track package and other aftermarket parts added - my version of the track package.

Speaking honestly- it is a bit much for a DD. The result is a much firmer riding car. It doesn't beat me up too bad but I feel everything and a lot of feedback from the road through the steering wheel, even after a good alignment. That's the price to feeling absolutely connected to the road. It handles extremely well even with my crap A/S tires which I will be replacing soon.

It works very well but is probably a tad excessive for most people. I would recommend a simpler setup for a DD and that is - BMR SP080 springs, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, BMR CB005 and BMR sway bars. I think staying near PP spring rates will keep enough compliance that is needed. The CB005 will connect the rear much better and the Steeda shocks have enough range to keep more comfortable. The sway bars will keep the body roll down and adds tuneability to the car's balance.

The Ford Racing stuff is a good package. Just realize that it will be a much firmer riding car and on bad roads it will be uncomfortable for some. If you've got nice roads around you then it should be a non-issue.

Several people have also recommended rear shock mounts from Steeda. Im planning on doing this soon. No matter what shocks you go with, the stock mount has a soft rubber bushing that binds and does not allow free articulation of the rear shocks, leading to bounciness and oscillations. The Steeda mounts have a spherical bearing which allows this articulation.

I'm happy with my choices and as with anything - there's always room for improvement. Just depends how much $$ you want to spend.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks very much, [MENTION=19599]Bluemustang[/MENTION]. Appreciate the detailed response! May I ask why you went with BMR springs and Steeda shocks vs. an all-Steeda package? I am seeing a lot of folks doing this and am wondering why. I know Steeda makes great stuff, so curious why the BMR/Steeda combo?

ps
Sorry for the thread jack!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks very much, [MENTION=19599]Bluemustang[/MENTION]. Appreciate the detailed response! May I ask why you went with BMR springs and Steeda shocks vs. an all-Steeda package? I am seeing a lot of folks doing this and am wondering why. I know Steeda makes great stuff, so curious why the BMR/Steeda combo?

ps
Sorry for the thread jack!
BMR has the only linear rate springs available that are nearly identical to stock GT PP rates. This is a plus for a lot of people who want to keep the ride quality that compliance gives you, but the handling benefits of the lowering springs, plus the predictability of a linear rate. Beyond that, the best for each person is dependent on how low and how stiff you want to go, and the balance front to rear.

The Steeda fixed-valve shocks and struts are the best bang for the buck upgrade on dampers available right now. They can handle higher than stock rates with ease and are comfortable. They also change the compression/rebound balance to make the car feel much more settled over bumps and remove the floaty feeling of stock. The billet mounts finish it off and are a must-do, IMO.

For IRS stuff, it's personal preference. Both packages work, and they go about it slightly different.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Great explanation, [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION]; it all makes sense. Thanks very much.
Sponsored