GT500 testing in Arizona

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Have we gotten to a point where anything under 3,800 lbs is going to be considered a lightweight? I'm speaking of the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger. I remember the days when guys aimed for a sub - 3,400 lb car. With all the nannies, options, safety equipment, 19/20 inch wheels, cars themselves have gotten bigger overall, it just seems impossible to get a 21st century hotrod below 3,500 lbs. :frusty:
The supercharger and supporting equipment is a hog. It's why I'm really hoping for the NA beast. I'll be adding that puppy for sure...if it comes.
I have no doubt ford will offer a race version of the SE that will be under 4000 lbs but the standard version ( non R) may not be.

Safety crap really weighs them down.
Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
The supercharger and supporting equipment is a hog. It's why I'm really hoping for the NA beast. I'll be adding that puppy for sure...if it comes.
I have no doubt ford will offer a race version of the SE that will be under 4000 lbs but the standard version ( non R) may not be.

Safety crap really weighs them down.
That's it, all these safety regulations make the weight go up a bunch, then add in tech packages and all that and it's easy to weight 3750-4000 lbs. But all the advancements in technology with suspension and tires has basically offset the added weight. I think people that grew up with pony/muscle cars in the 60s and 70s focus way too much on that weight. These cars weighing 3800-4000 lbs are so capable you wouldn't realize they weigh that much. Look at the new ZL1 and 350 they are as capable on a road course as cars weighing significantly less. The only way to really build this car being under 3600 is a full CF unibody and subframe, no idea how much that would raise the cost of each car though. Now if they did it for all SE mustangs and it rose the price 3-5K I think a lot of buyers would accept it, if it shave 300-400 lbs (Not sure a full CF would save that much weight or not?)

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
i dont care what anyone says, weight is a MASSIVE factor in any performance car. handling, mileage, acceleration, braking, wear and tear... weight affects EVERYTHING. any great performance street car will only be better with less weight, and for some reason cars keep getting heavier and heavier. it still blows my mind how much these freaking cars weigh, and why they cant get them down. i get creature comforts, safety bullshit, but weight reduction and structural engineering needs to improve. and hell, a lighter car will get better mpg without touching the motor, even make the emissions nazis happier. if they want a real performance halo car, then wight would be the first place id look, and reap the benefits all around.
my 04 cobra was considered to be a PIG when it came out, iron block and irs, blower and heat exchanger, heavy wheels, iron brakes, boat anchors for seats(74lb driver seat/track), and they were 3850ish w/o driver. i got my car below 3400 without even thinking about weight reduction mods, just modifying as needed as the build progressed, i even added heavier wheels, bigger brakes, bigger blower, exchanger...hell i must have added 150lbs over the stock shit it replaced. weight reduction is not hard, if you replace weak/heavy cast/stamped shit with strong tubular replacements.
a 3400lb halo mustang with a decent mill(650-700hp)would murder anything gm or dodge has thrown on the table thus far.

Zeke.Malvo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach1
i dont care what anyone says, weight is a MASSIVE factor in any performance car. handling, mileage, acceleration, braking, wear and tear... weight affects EVERYTHING. any great performance street car will only be better with less weight, and for some reason cars keep getting heavier and heavier. it still blows my mind how much these freaking cars weigh, and why they cant get them down. i get creature comforts, safety bullshit, but weight reduction and structural engineering needs to improve. and hell, a lighter car will get better mpg without touching the motor, even make the emissions nazis happier. if they want a real performance halo car, then wight would be the first place id look, and reap the benefits all around.
my 04 cobra was considered to be a PIG when it came out, iron block and irs, blower and heat exchanger, heavy wheels, iron brakes, boat anchors for seats(74lb driver seat/track), and they were 3850ish w/o driver. i got my car below 3400 without even thinking about weight reduction mods, just modifying as needed as the build progressed, i even added heavier wheels, bigger brakes, bigger blower, exchanger...hell i must have added 150lbs over the stock shit it replaced. weight reduction is not hard, if you replace weak/heavy cast/stamped shit with strong tubular replacements.
a 3400lb halo mustang with a decent mill(650-700hp)would murder anything gm or dodge has thrown on the table thus far.
The '03-'04 Cobra coupes weighed 3660 lbs. I had an '03 Cobra convertible, and on a certified scale, full weight including full tank of gas came out to 3780 lbs.

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
The '03-'04 Cobra coupes weighed 3660 lbs. I had an '03 Cobra convertible, and on a certified scale, full weight

The car i have corner balanced and scaled at both my tuner's shop and my alignment shop? im glad you have different numbers, thank you for posting your experience, many people on other forums that havent scaled a car say the same thing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

cobra1320

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Cobra
I'm not expecting major weight reductions on the current platform. I think we will get a gt350 platform with a turbo or supercharged 5.2 making 755hp. I just wish we could get an idea when it's coming.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Just like what was mentioned, I think ford wants to keep it under 4000. Whether they achieve that for the standard model or not is anyone's guess. I think they would prefer to go after GM so my guess is they make it for that purpose, as the pics show, it's what they are testing against. I'm hoping that there is something that makes me jump up and say 'I need this car' a regular supercharged car isn't gonna do it. It needs something special for me to want it. The most important is something that is substantially unique to the car. Powertrain, carbon/weight reduction placement. I'm SO eager to see what is in store for the Ford Faithful.

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Just like what was mentioned, I think ford wants to keep it under 4000. Whether they achieve that for the standard model or not is anyone's guess. I think they would prefer to go after GM so my guess is they make it for that purpose, as the pics show, it's what they are testing against. I'm hoping that there is something that makes me jump up and say 'I need this car' a regular supercharged car isn't gonna do it. It needs something special for me to want it. The most important is something that is substantially unique to the car. Powertrain, carbon/weight reduction placement. I'm SO eager to see what is in store for the Ford Faithful.
I agree - it has to be something that isn't easily achieved in the aftermarket. A blower, and an appearance package doesn't do it for me.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I agree - it has to be something that isn't easily achieved in the aftermarket. A blower, and an appearance package doesn't do it for me.
We need to tell this to Shelby American.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Don't worry, you'll get what you're looking for.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I agree with both of you I hope it's not just an SC and appearance package. The more I thought about it though the more I thought maybe two cars made sense, shared CF parts to lower weight. One costing around 62-65l like a supercharged coyote (Boss 302!) and then a TT version with like 750hp or so, more CF, maybe AWD to put the power down but starting at like 80-85. Like you guys I do hope whatever they do is unique and special.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
Don't worry, you'll get what you're looking for.
I can't believe Ford would spend all this time and not bring out something truly special. I believe it will be worth the wait. Even though it is killing me! :cheers:
Sponsored