lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
A bit confused here.

Are these kits being sold now? This looks really good, from a price point, but there is still a lot of odds and ends when it comes down to getting a final product in a box and in my living room.

Very interested.. and I read that there may be a group buy sometime soon.

Im in for more info... since Im going the FI route in the next month or two.
Sponsored

sqidd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots Of Mustangs
A bit confused here.

Are these kits being sold now? This looks really good, from a price point, but there is still a lot of odds and ends when it comes down to getting a final product in a box and in my living room.

Very interested.. and I read that there may be a group buy sometime soon.

Im in for more info... since Im going the FI route in the next month or two.
There will not be complete kits available until next spring. Right now the only option is to buy the manifold and then collect the rest of the parts needed to finish it yourself. Think of it as "Hot Rodders Kit", not a "bolt on".

Bolt on will be next year.

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
There will not be complete kits available until next spring. Right now the only option is to buy the manifold and then collect the rest of the parts needed to finish it yourself. Think of it as "Hot Rodders Kit", not a "bolt on".

Bolt on will be next year.
As long as install instructions are provided, it may be an option.

Now to read every last bit of info you have listed.

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
First post on this site here, but I contacted Jason at Department of Boost and he said they are not yet selling complete kits and might not. He did send me a list of the parts I would need to complete it myself however.
Any chance you want to share that list?

sqidd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots Of Mustangs
Any chance you want to share that list?
IDK if you're the person that emailed me about this. Here is a modified version of my response so others can get the info.

The GT550 for the S550 is pretty much full "hot rod" at this point. There are a few little details I haven't even figured out yet. So I don't have a comprehensive plug and play solution. Our S550 was done with some custom bits and bobs that a "civilian" won't be able to replicate. We had a custom heat exchanger made and we made our own degas tank that goes where the batter goes that has a built in pump.

That said I have most of the "solution" figured out. The S550 and S197's aren't very different so the S197 stuff that we already have sorted and have been selling is most of the stuff for the S550. The only three differences between the S197 and S550 are:

- Heat exchanger. We never checked when building ours but word on the street is that the S197 HE's bolt right up to the S550. If this is the case that's a no brainer and easy as pie to get sorted. If not a custom one or one from a S550 kit (like Whipple/Roush) would be the way to go. We've seen two shops selling S197 HE's for S550's though, so chances are that is a workable solution. If that's the case I myself would use a stock 13-14' GT500 HE. They are bigger than anything else available in the aftermarket, and quite a bit less money.

- Intercooler system degas tank. A tank is a tank at the end of the day. It's really a matter of where and how it's bolted up. Most go on the fan shroud. We haven't tried to make anything work but there are a ton out there (even stock GT500 stuff) that will work and all they would need is a couple of flat "brackets" made out of aluminum that can be purchased at Lowe's, etc. Yes, some stuff would need to be figured out. But it's not rocket science in the least. I myself would try using a stock GT500 unit which can be has for $10-20.

- "Cold" Air Intake. This one is a little trickier. With a little fiddling a stock GT500 CAI can be used. But, it leaves the air filter open to the engine compartment which sucks up hot air. Obviously not ideal. The S550 has a good factory ram air setup that should be used. We ended up going with the Roush CAI that comes with their blower kits. They're about $300-350 if I remember correctly.

Here is the S197 suggested parts list. These are just a suggestion. Some of the stuff can be upgraded/different depending on the final goal. The only difference between the S197 list and the S550 list (that doesn't exist) is the heat exchanger (maybe), degas tank and CAI. Everything else is the same. This pricing is the reasonable street "retail". A lot of this stuff can be had for less. Blowers for example.

List:

If you want to hot rod your way into a kit it could be done for under $5000 no problem. With some hard shopping in the low $4000's.

Let me know if you have any questions at all. No matter how small.
Sponsored