GT350 Warranty for Track Use ??

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
I searched, but did not find a thread on the warranty for this car when used on track. The early Supplemental Info Guide (p46/69) had a statement which said: In the event the vehicle is intended for track use, and the loss of warranty coverage is not a concern, Ford Performance recommends the car is equipped with the Track Pack. Track use voids warranty. I expressed my outrage to my salesman asking how could Ford sell a track car with a warranty which is void for track use. Even Chevy warrants a Z06 for track use (no mods). I recently got an update from him in which Ford had sightly different language stating that "timed track use" would void the warranty. I intend to keep my R at Atlanta Motorsports Park and use it as it was designed (personal track use). Has anyone actually inquired about how they will really manage warranty claims for this car when used on track (just DEs, not for pro racing)?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
HPDE's are normally not timed lap per lap... the only time-related language you typically will see in a HPDE is for example when your group may have 30 minutes driving time allotted to be on the track before the next group goes on. Speaking of Z06's, my dealer knows I regularly track mine and I have had no issues with a warranty claim such as a new MAF sensor replacement for example. Mine is stock but I do follow the track specs to ensure I'm in compliance.

GTA Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350
Similar language with a typical car insurance policy - any track use or time trial is not covered by your car insurance. So if you crashed, get injured, or cause any damage or injury you will be on your own. I've heard that there are companies out there that sell track day policies nonetheless.

Regarding "timed track use", it can be interpreted as drag strip use or lap time trials.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Yeah, track use is fine. Competition is not in terms of warranty. You're way more likely to be squeezing every last ounce from your car on a routine basis if you're doing competition. Casual track use is typically less routine and more what they have in mind when they say the car is built with the track in mind.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I will be covering my plates either way whenever it goes to the track.

But for HPDEs/open track days, should not be a problem. Any Time attack/SCCA/NASA type sanctioned racing is where you will run into problems

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
HPDE's are normally not timed lap per lap... the only time-related language you typically will see in a HPDE is for example when your group may have 30 minutes driving time allotted to be on the track before the next group goes on. Speaking of Z06's, my dealer knows I regularly track mine and I have had no issues with a warranty claim such as a new MAF sensor replacement for example. Mine is stock but I do follow the track specs to ensure I'm in compliance.
Boss, do you have a cage in your car?

BaylorCorvette

Track > 1/4 Mile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Z51
Initially some people were having issues with warranty on Z/28's that did HPDE events, despite GM covering that aspect of the car. When manufacturers state "track use voids warranty" it's a bit of a grey area. Often they are alluding to some sort of timed competitor. However I suspect the verbiage is vague to protect the manufacturer for those rare "just in case" moments.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I know dudes who track their cars in PDX events for instance and autocross and I know one guy who even received a new transmission under warranty no questions asked.

The thing is that GENERALLY, as long as you don't make a stink, are respectful, and have some humility, you'll get some back. Dealerships are NOT Ford, they just may be Ford cert'ed or a Ford dealer so they have a name plate. But the dealer is like a retailer...Best Buy to Sony for instance. Remember, dealerships get paid to do warranty work. So often times on forums when I see someone just blowing their top over how they didn't get warranty work for something or another and the dealer did this or that or what not, I always start scratching my head.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Initially some people were having issues with warranty on Z/28's that did HPDE events, despite GM covering that aspect of the car. When manufacturers state "track use voids warranty" it's a bit of a grey area. Often they are alluding to some sort of timed competitor. However I suspect the verbiage is vague to protect the manufacturer for those rare "just in case" moments.
Every Chevy should be sold with two things: a good warranty and a good lawyer. :D

Last edited:

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Who the hell is going to know it was on a track??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jackie Chiles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW TDI SW
Who the hell is going to know it was on a track??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This.

And two more important issues. First, the warranty is defined by what is written in the warranty manual. Second, the Moss-Magnussen Act ultimately governs how a manufacturer must administer a warranty and puts the burden on the manufacturer to prove that a component failure was due to misuse.

First question: what does the GT350 warranty manual state about track use? No other questions come before this.

OP
OP

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Unfortunately, in my case, my dealer knows I will track it. This is because he knows about our club (AMP). :doh:

In fact, as part of my deal, the sales mgr requested a track day at AMP. I gladly obliged, esp since he dropped his price $5K :thumbsup:

I also noted that GMs warranty is better, as they warrant Vette's, esp Z06's, for track use for the entire warranty. The even provide track setup info and state that warranty is valid for that. (Don't know about Camaros).

I guess I can't put any club stickers on the car and just remain low profile. Thanks all for your feedback. :cheers: