Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Hmm. Very interesting read. Can't wait to see the feedback keep rolling in.
Sponsored

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
Is there an installer on Long Island that can perform the shifter installation
I do not have any leads in Long Island but perhaps posting in a local forum or club page might get you some leads.

George

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Alton. Just take my word and trust me. order, now.
Haha. Will do man! I'm adding this + full ARH setup to my list and gonna pull the trigger in the next few weeks, no doubt about it!

Sponsored

RoadRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I installed the MGW shifter in my 2016 GT350 over the weekend. The installation video that George produced is great and walked me through every step! The shifter is a piece of engineering art with a solid precision that must be experienced to be believed. A++ job MGW.....well done!! :thumbsup::cheers:

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
I installed the MGW shifter in my 2016 GT350 over the weekend. The installation video that George produced is great and walked me through every step! The shifter is a piece of engineering art with a solid precision that must be experienced to be believed. A++ job MGW.....well done!! :thumbsup::cheers:

Thank you for the feedback!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

George

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
For those of you with the MGW or have had one in the past, I have a question for you about it and wondering if it'd be my solution. I'm pretty new at driving manual (about a month) but I feel very comfortable shifting. However, with the stock shifter in the GT350, I notice that it becomes harder and harder to shift the higher I go in RPMs. So shifting at 6-7k RPMs is much more difficult than at 2-3k

Tonight I tried getting on it and going WOT and I literally got locked out of 4th gear 2 out of 4 times. Couldn't get into 4th for shit. Just had to go into neutral and coast down the highway to the red light. I absolutely hate (and can't understand for the life of me) why it would be so hard to shift at higher RPMs.

Is this common with the stock shifter and something that MGW shifter doesn't experience? I can't even comfortably do any pulls in my car now because I'm concerned I'll not be able to shift gears (not because of me, but because of the car).

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
For those of you with the MGW or have had one in the past, I have a question for you about it and wondering if it'd be my solution. I'm pretty new at driving manual (about a month) but I feel very comfortable shifting. However, with the stock shifter in the GT350, I notice that it becomes harder and harder to shift the higher I go in RPMs. So shifting at 6-7k RPMs is much more difficult than at 2-3k

Tonight I tried getting on it and going WOT and I literally got locked out of 4th gear 2 out of 4 times. Couldn't get into 4th for shit. Just had to go into neutral and coast down the highway to the red light. I absolutely hate (and can't understand for the life of me) why it would be so hard to shift at higher RPMs.

Is this common with the stock shifter and something that MGW shifter doesn't experience? I can't even comfortably do any pulls in my car now because I'm concerned I'll not be able to shift gears (not because of me, but because of the car).
Not common on this car at all. That must be the timing of your clutch release since your still new at this. Shifts do not get harder in higher rpms.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Not common on this car at all. That must be the timing of your clutch release since your still new at this. Shifts do not get harder in higher rpms.
Not too sure about the clutch release, but it requires a little more muscle to literally pull the shifter back though with the clutch pressed all the way down. I'm pretty much shifting just slightly faster than I would at 3k RPMs when I'm around 7k or so. Am I supposed to still shift slow doing WOT pulls like that? And even when I couldn't get into 4th, I tried for a few seconds and it still wouldn't go in.

Sponsored

SlowArrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350

The stock shifter is very good, and I can't think of any reason for more difficult shifting at higher RPMs. There is a tendency for the driver tense a bit when pushing it, and I've seen folks (myself included) just miss the shift, not hit the gate, simply blow it......but sounds like you locked up the shifter. You might want to have someone more familiar with a manual drive it and see if there is a mechanical issue, or just going through a phase of your skills development.

The MGW is more positive, less vague, and slightly shorter throws. It is areal improvement over stock, but if you are struggling with your shifts im not sure it will solve your problem.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
The stock shifter is very good, and I can't think of any reason for more difficult shifting at higher RPMs. There is a tendency for the driver tense a bit when pushing it, and I've seen folks (myself included) just miss the shift, not hit the gate, simply blow it......but sounds like you locked up the shifter. You might want to have someone more familiar with a manual drive it and see if there is a mechanical issue, or just going through a phase of your skills development.

The MGW is more positive, less vague, and slightly shorter throws. It is areal improvement over stock, but if you are struggling with your shifts im not sure it will solve your problem.
Very informative. Thanks man. Was hoping I could have a friend drive it tonight but it looks like it's getting too late :(. It's gonna be a long night.

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
Agree with Slowarrow. I have a MGW shifter in my 13 Z,it is amazing.
Much better than stock Z. However, as said above stock Shelby shifter
is pretty darn good stock, and mine has very few miles currently.
Not sure if I would spring for a new shifter right now.

No problem with with high rpm shifts for me, I think all the above is good advice
my take is something is wrong with your car.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
So a friend drove my car and I drove his -- he says the extra effort shifting at higher RPMs feels normal to him. I couldn't reproduce my 4th gear lockout problem that I was having though on his or mine.

Another friend suggested that the transmission could be torqued when I'm that high in RPMs (7k+) and that the gears may not line up perfectly. As I was getting on the interstate (after leaving the friend with the 350), I realized that I couldn't get into 4th again when I tried shifting around 7k. When I did finally put it in a gear (I thought it was 4th, but it might have been second), the car started braking (had the clutch about half way out maybe) and then I threw it back in neutral.

Does it sound like I'm actually going from 3rd to 2nd possibly? I swear I'm going straight down from 3rd to 4th like usual and it's just not the same.

I don't mean to hijack this thread btw. I'm still planning on buying an MGW shifter, I just don't know when I'll have it installed. Need to at least make some sense of what I'm going through first.

EDIT: So this is one of the responses I got "The shifter isn't mounted on top of the transmission like most other manuals are. It's mounted behind it and has a long arm that extends out and moves the shift linkage. Under heavy throttle it torques the engine and transmission sideways and misalignes the gates"

Now that I've gotten this annoying concern figured out, where do I pick one of these MGWs up at? Lol.

Last edited:

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
I just got back from a run in mine, and it shifts great, even getting used to the
super light clutch. And yes I have a back road that has along flat straight stretch
where I can safely do a 3 to 4 shift, when no approaching traffic.

Just did a few runs up and down, 3 to 4 at redline, and then let off,
perfect. You may be trying to go into 2 ? Or you are pulling on the shifter
before the clutch does it job ?

Do not know about the torque on the gears issue, when you engage the clutch
you relieve most of the pressure....

If you run through the gears clutch in, at idle, do you hit all the gears right ?
Lastly, if you think you may be trying to go into 2 from 3 rd, which could be
catastrophic at redline, pull more to the right shifting, this way if
you miss 4, at least you go into 6th.
Good luck, a new shifter will not help these issues as you describe.
Sponsored