Sponsored

Gt350 Shift Knob retrofit

IowaPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 GT Base --SOLD
If anyone knows of a site that still has them in stock and at that $80 price, please post....interested, but not enough to pay $115, when it can be had for $80.
Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Just got done drilling and tapping my GT350 shift knob. Due to the taper its not as secure in a bench vise as I'd like and theres some minor marring of the leather as a result even with wrapping it with a towel. My impact gun would spin the knob sometimes which causes the marring. I also removed the inner ring and plastic spacer that was inside the knob

Refer to post #28 to see the before which was the OEM knob with MGW shifter and MGW OEM collar. It doesnt sit as flush as the OEM since the inner diameter on the GT350 is a tad smaller.

Knight5.0

Project Lightning
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium, PP, 401A
It doesnt sit as flush as the OEM since the inner diameter on the GT350 is a tad smaller.
seems like you could trim a small amount off the top of the MGW collar and it would allow it to go all the way to the stop on the collar.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
MGW collar is billet and chromed, dont want to mess with the finish. Its mainly smaller because the GT350 knob leather is folded inside and and adhered. Post #40 shows this.

Knight5.0

Project Lightning
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium, PP, 401A
MGW collar is billet and chromed, dont want to mess with the finish. Its mainly smaller because the GT350 knob leather is folded inside and and adhered. Post #40 shows this.
i saw that. Just saying what i would do.. i would tape it and trim with band saw. it would be inside of the knob anyway.

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
if anyone was curious on shift knob weights:
OEM golf ball - 141g
GT350 pre drill/tap - 186g
GT350 post drill/tap - 177g

OP
OP
Murdered_s550

Murdered_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
15 Premium PP Ecoboost
if anyone was curious on shift knob weights:
OEM golf ball - 141g
GT350 pre drill/tap - 186g
GT350 post drill/tap - 177g
Thanks for the info!

Mtipton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just got done drilling and tapping my GT350 shift knob. Due to the taper its not as secure in a bench vise as I'd like and theres some minor marring of the leather as a result even with wrapping it with a towel. My impact gun would spin the knob sometimes which causes the marring. I also removed the inner ring and plastic spacer that was inside the knob

Refer to post #28 to see the before which was the OEM knob with MGW shifter and MGW OEM collar. It doesnt sit as flush as the OEM since the inner diameter on the GT350 is a tad smaller.

Looking good
:cheers:

OP
OP
Murdered_s550

Murdered_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
15 Premium PP Ecoboost
Looks flush enough for me. How's it feel with the mgw?
Can't comment on mgw, but with the stock shifter it is basically flush. You have to look underneath the shifter there is probably 2 cm gap if that. Sorry for not being about to comment on mgw. It feel a lot better than the stock shifter in your hand.

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Looks flush enough for me. How's it feel with the mgw?
feels great, although it is a a little longer overall than the stock, shifting effort is a tad less. GT350 knob sits a tad higher a few mm than the stock one in addition to the length of the knob

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
feels great, although it is a a little longer overall than the stock, shifting effort is a tad less. GT350 knob sits a tad higher a few mm than the stock one in addition to the length of the knob

Gotcha. I'm wanting the mgw shifter for smoothness, not necessarily the shorter throw. My last mustang was a 91 notch, so the factory shifter length in this one already seems 'short throw' lol

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
Just got mine installed. I put a shit ton of blue loctite on it and twisted it on a turn too much I think and my reverse lockout wouldn't work. Took me an hour to break the loctite seal. Be sure to test the reverse lockout before the loctite sets or else you'll be cussing and swearing like I did. Lol

OP
OP
Murdered_s550

Murdered_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
15 Premium PP Ecoboost
Glad you guys can get it working! :)

shobbs007

Forensicator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Race Red/PP; 2009 Tundra RW
Saw one comment about holding the knob in a bench vise for drilling/tapping. Is this how everyone is holding to tap the larger size threads?
Sponsored