GT350(R) Vs Grand Sport

OP
OP

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
I would get the grand sport hands down, with the Z07. I have friends with camaro z28's(same brakes, heavier car) that do more than 5 or 6 track days a year with no issues. Also when they are done(at least 3 or 4 years) you can swap them for the regular c7 z06 brakes. The z07 has a better suspension package. The grand sport is better for the road and the track. Better ride, better mpg, faster in every measurable way. I've driven one and it's incredibly capable, but I must warn you the LT1 is no where near as awesome as the voodoo. The engine in the shelby is just an amazing experience, but for the money, the C7 grand sport is far superior in every other way.
Appreciate it!
Sponsored

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I considered a Z06 before this car. I drove 4 of them including auto, Z07 packages and all combinations.

The sound alone is good enough reason not to go with the a corvette. Same push rod engine for how many decades now? Blind fold a person, cannot tell whether its a truck or a corvette.

Also the engine has a completely different character. It is such a "lazy" engine and the fun is over so quickly. Revs to 6500 rpm, torque everywhere, it feels like a turbo charged engine but naturally aspirated.

Not a memorable car, would never cross shop it with a car like mezger GT3. GT350 is in the league of those rare cars (GT3, scudera, etc), Grand Sport is just another push rod v8 corvette.

Edit: I have an opportunity to grab a 16 Z06 with Z07 package fully loaded (101 sticker) for 78k but passed. It is just a totally different car. Maybe coming from an M5 with a very similar character (gobs of torque down low, smoke the tires easily, etc), I wanted a high revving engine.

OP
OP

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Yeah I hear you. I love the engine and the sound of the GT350. I'll know I'll end up back in one but after reading the recall thread and that a lot of them might not be for sale now until a fix I starting thinking of other options.

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yeah I hear you. I love the engine and the sound of the GT350. I'll know I'll end up back in one but after reading the recall thread and that a lot of them might not be for sale now until a fix I starting thinking of other options.
Why dont you get a 17 then? My car is a 17 built in September. It's fine, no recalls.

Corvettes are not keepers. I think that sentence explains it all. People who buy Corvettes will buy something shiny in a year or two. People who buy cars like GT350, GT3, etc will keep them for the long run.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
If you don't need back seats and don't care about depreciation I think the GS is the way to go for a mostly track car. I love my GT350 but the GS is already being reduced to $59k near my area.

350 is more unique and the engine is awesome but the vette is faster around a track and much lighter.

Sponsored

smbstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
It's really all about what you are looking for. Want something that will we an absolute track monster, probably biggest bang for buck track performance? Get the Grand Sport. It's what GM should have done with the Z06 all along, keep the FI out of a track car!

Personally, I find the GT350 to have a lot of "character", and I just don't find that with the Corvettes. Yes, no doubt they are great cars, I've been in multiple on track (although have not driven), they've got cool tech, but they just don't seem "special".

A GT350 with a 20k ADM vs a discounted Grand Sport? GS would be the easy decision. But MSRP for MSRP, I'd still take the GT350, even though performance-wise it is behind the GS.

But what he hell do I know, I don't own either. :doh:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Since the D-bag dealers around here are permanently stuck in ADM land on GT350s, the GS looks more and more appealing all the time. Especially considering some of the issues some are having with their GT350s.....I'm always skeptical about all-new engines long-term.....

As I've said in other threads, the GS is the first GM car I've truly lusted after in over a decade.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I would get the grand sport hands down, with the Z07. I have friends with camaro z28's(same brakes, heavier car) that do more than 5 or 6 track days a year with no issues. Also when they are done(at least 3 or 4 years) you can swap them for the regular c7 z06 brakes. The z07 has a better suspension package. The grand sport is better for the road and the track. Better ride, better mpg, faster in every measurable way. I've driven one and it's incredibly capable, but I must warn you the LT1 is no where near as awesome as the voodoo. The engine in the shelby is just an amazing experience, but for the money, the C7 grand sport is far superior in every other way.
This post pretty well sums it all up, though I will correct one thing, that the GS is faster on any track, whereas the 350 R is actually a bit quicker in a straight line (primarily due to ridiculously tall gearing from 4th up on the Vette).

Definitely is a better car in terms of performance, ride, interior quality and has inherent performance advantages associated with its lower centre of gravity, lighter weight, and far better weight distribution. The 5.2 is absolutely a wonder of an engine though, and there has never been anything like it IMO and will never be anything like it, it truly is unique. If you are keeping the car long term, the only concern I would have would be regarding the longevity of the 5.2, as it is unknown whether it will prove to be a friendly motor to own outside of the warranty period.

LT/LS engines on the other hand are relatively cheap to maintain/fix because of the fact that they are so plentiful. Incredibly engines that have a fantastic powerband, pretty well 2000-6500 rpms there is power everywhere. But I still think the 5.2 is a far more satisfying engine to be behind.

If you are talking 17' GT350 vs GS I think it would be a bit of a toss up, but if you have got a line on a GT350 R, I think I would choose R every time. Simply for the fact that it has far fewer production numbers, and several very unique aspects like the carbon wheels for example. I lightly cross shopped a Z06 as well, but the overheating issues and the fact that it really is almost too much power for the street along with the fact that the R is just so much more special in comparison really made the decision easy for me.

Toodles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Terminated Cobra
If you want a track beast get the GS. I love my R but the GS will crap all over it in the hands of the same driver. As said previously the GS is a much better overall track car than the Z06. You can make gobs of power with the Z but right now the GS aren't having the same issues the Z did. As also previously said, I would wait a year or two. They depreciate like crazy. If I got rid of my R I'd most likely end up in a GS.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
another benefit is you can have car meets at the retirement home with the vette

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
OP, also don't judge the general "old man vibe" that some people stereotype the Vette with, like any of the sports car, the more expensive they get, typically the buyers demographic is much older because they are typically the ones who can afford a much more expensive toy. Buy whichever makes you the happiest, crowd killing, old-man gone bald, stereotypes be damned :D

smbstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
The Grand Sport is a wanna be Z06.

Go for the GT350/R.
One could argue that the GS is the actual track version of the Z06!

I manage track events around the country for a living, and can't tell you how often we see the C7 Z06's having overheating issues and going into limp mode, especially in the summer at our southern events. They are incredibly fast, and great performance cars, for one lap at a time.

I'm willing to bet a large number of C7 Z06 owners who track their cars regularly will be trading in for the C7 GS.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
OP, also don't judge the general "old man vibe" that some people stereotype the Vette with, like any of the sports car, the more expensive they get, typically the buyers demographic is much older because they are typically the ones who can afford a much more expensive toy. Buy whichever makes you the happiest, crowd killing, old-man gone bald, stereotypes be damned :D
I'm a younger man and if my GT350 plans fell through (which they almost did) I was going to get a '15 'Ray Z51.

And actually...if someone gave me enough money for my GT350, I'd take it and go get a base GS. I love love love my GT350 but boost my down payment power for a condo and get a killer track car that looks, sounds, and just is good? Sure.
Sponsored