Sponsored

GT350 or BMW M4

Agcsr25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 track pack
Wow, I think your are looking at two very different cars aimed at two different market segments. The M4 is a more luxurious, refined (read sterile, uninspiring for me personally) car with good performance that some people track. The GT350 track pack/R is much more track focused, visceral yet livable on the street. It is not in the same league as far as luxury(even with 2017 convenience package added to base) but it shines on the track and back roads. :-) I don't even turn my radio on in my GT350 and can't wipe the smile off my face when I'm driving it. Bought my son a M4 and I have a GT350R on order for me.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If money and value matters to you like it does to me, the decision would go like this:
-I live in USA - GT350 or R is a better value.
-I live in Europe - BMW or Porsche probably a better value. I would be looking at M2 rather than M4 though, based on the reviews I've seen and just because I prefer a smaller car.

Based on your post you have a lot more money than I. It's probably a good idea for you to buy the GT350R regardless of the value proposition just because it is very cool and unique.

Grunholle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
///M
Wow, I think your are looking at two very different cars aimed at two different market segments. The M4 is a more luxurious, refined (read sterile, uninspiring for me personally) car with good performance that some people track. The GT350 track pack/R is much more track focused, visceral yet livable on the street. It is not in the same league as far as luxury(even with 2017 convenience package added to base) but it shines on the track and back roads. :-) I don't even turn my radio on in my GT350 and can't wipe the smile off my face when I'm driving it. Bought my son a M4 and I have a GT350R on order for me.
Curious, did you do radio delete on your R?

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
The M4 is just another coupe. "M" has completely lost its core culture. The design is uninspiring, the steering is unacceptably numb and disconnected (and not just for an M car but for ANY car), the sound it makes is less pleasant than my refried bean farts, and it has zero character. None. As a luxury car, it's fine. As a soulful raw sports car (what M cars SHOULD be) it's a pitiful and unacceptable failure. If you want something with character that is actually lovable, immediately dump pile of nonesense and get a 350.
Curious...have you ever owned any M cars?

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Visual aids alone... I think the GT350 looks better/meaner anyway

In fairness to the OP, he HAS an M4 and there's a reason why he bought it and still claims "he's happy with it as a perfect daily driver and an excellent sports car" (albeit not in love with it). So at least be cognizant of HIS opinion and experience. BUT this is a GT350 forum so we'll be a bit biased.... :D

bmw-m4-shelby-gt350-750x205.jpg

bmw-m4-shelby-gt350-comparison-750x343.jpg

shelby-gt350-bmw-m4-interior-750x692.jpg

Ad here's an older bimmer blog between the two but the message shows where the pendulum has swung to... away from Bavaria- http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/08/30/should-the-bmw-m4-fear-the-shelby-gt350/

So stay with that nice German grand tourer or chase for the top bang for the buck performance car of the year... praised as the more fun car to drive. Now go get that 2017 GT350! :thumbsup:

Sponsored

tuckerware

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Lightning Blue on the way
The M4 probably suffers a fate similar to my F30 335i - it is a great car in many objective ways - but has lost a lot the driving characteristics that BMWs used to have.

The relative performance of the M2 should be telling - the M3/4 barely weighs more but with all that extra HP is not much faster if at all. An M car used to be the handling benchmark in every segment - and though I don't have personal experience Cadillac's are supposedly setting the bar.

GT350 will have some rough edges (figuratively and literally) compared to a European luxury car - but when it comes to driving enjoyment it ticks the right boxes.

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
I've had both ... well I had the F80 M3 but same thing really. M cars are not worthless pieces of garbage now as some would lead you to believe, but I agree they are not the track focused cars they once were. That's why I left the BMW brand and purchased a GT350. I've had multiple generations of M3s and a F10 M5.

The GT350 is raw, loud, track focused, and it makes me laugh everytime I drive it because it sounds so damn good.

The M3 was powerful, a surgical instrument but had little soul. It was much more refined and luxurious but that's not what I wanted.

So really there are no bad or wrong choices. Just ask yourself what you are really seeking in a car.

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
I've had both ... well I had the F80 M3 but same thing really. M cars are not worthless pieces of garbage now as some one lead you to believe, but I agree they are not the track focused cars they once were. That's why I left the BMW brand and purchased a GT350. I've had multiple generations of M3s and a F10 M5.

The GT350 is raw, loud, track focused, and it makes me laugh everytime I drive it because it sounds so damn good.

The M3 was powerful, a surgical instrument but had little soul. It was much more refined and luxurious but that's not what I wanted.

So really there are no bad or wrong choices. Just ask yourself what you are really seeking in a car.
Hits the nail on the head

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Skip the BMW and get the GT350...thank me later. I'm a german car guy don't get me wrong (daily drive a beautiful Porsche 911) but seriously the GT350 is another league. No comparison.

Sponsored

ghostrider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mclaren
If the car will be driven daily and on the weekends, then get the m, but if its a weekend car and a special event car, then get the 350R.

And if you want to just sit in your garage and have a beer and just admire the view, then get a 350R.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
OP my suggestion to you would be to read the independent reviews of both cars, many have been written about each. While it seems like a cop out answer i believe that you will get a far greater unbiased response. By reading the pro's and cons of each model you can make a better decision on which factors are most important to you thus which car best suits your needs. Asking which is better on a GT350 forum for the most part is going to net you a response of "GT350" and a bunch of negative comments about the M4 (much the same i imagine if you posted on an M forum). From my time on these forums there is definitely a contingent of posters who have very little tolerance for contemplating alternative opinions especially when the topic is as subjective as "which car is better?" answers are cut and dry as each person applies there own personal bias that drove them to make the choices they made.

My own example of the situation that you are in was that in 2012 i was deciding between a boss 302 and a pre-owned E92 M3. I've had many classic mustangs but never a late model, the boss would have been my first. Both cars were quick, both cars would be fun to drive, which one was faster probably depended more on the driver and the chosen course especially for a novice driver like myself, for me it ended up coming down to interior quality. The Boss felt like a cheap rental car on the inside to me, the BMW fit and finish was excellent. So i made my decision based on the cars interiors. Many here would tell me that this is a very silly way to make a decision, but until they start paying for my cars i don't care what they think. Fast forward 4 years, the new GT350 is out, ford improved the interior quality (in my eyes) still not on par with a german counterpart but meeting my minimum expectations for a premium vehicle, on top of that they delivered a very special drivetrain and suspension system, finally the GT350 will have limited production giving it a "specialness" that intrigues me. Those were my reasons for choosing it but your reasons are likely to be different and depending on how you prioritize you may end up with a different decision. Either way they are both beautiful cars and i wouldn't be ashamed to drive either.

Soho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
I've owned both cars...
M4's advantage is fit and finish. On a level ford will probably never achieve. Ride quality and comfort. Again good luck ford.

Gt350's advantage is everything else!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I've owned both cars...
M4's advantage is fit and finish. On a level ford will probably never achieve. Ride quality and comfort. Again good luck ford.
It is quite nice. I love how they placed the carbon trim. However for 80K, I'd expect the interior to be ahead.
Sponsored