Sponsored

GT350 Media Event at Laguna Seca

lilskolio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 toyota tacoma, (ordered) Magnectic GT350
Four words... seems like the car is a handful, or maybe they just don't trust the media warm shoes with the hardware.

Oh, yeah... here's AG with black stripes somewhere around Monterey / Pac Grove / Pebble Beach. :)
after watching the other video i'm fairly certain he's saying don't shift when you normally think you would because there is more to be had.
Sponsored

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
after watching the other video i'm fairly certain he's saying don't shift when you normally think you would because there is more to be had.
There is. I got scolded on the front straight as I shifted early once today lol.

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
I was at the GT350 Media Event today at Laguna Seca and took a bunch of pictures and two short videos at the link below (DropBox may ask you to create an account, just close that window, you don't need to an account to view the pics):

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/htymum2pn3zt775/AACwWxzkwjSDLq4rfW_Mdn85a

I own a 2015 Mustang GT convertible, so I am comparing directly.

Note that I am not a professional driver (and it was my first time on a track), so my opinions are probably not going to be that helpful if you are mostly interesting in track performance. I did get to drive two laps in the GT350R, sitting next to an instructor. I also got to ride as a passenger on a hot lap with a Ford Performance driver.

Impressions:

1. Visually, it is clearly a Mustang inside and out, just "taken to 11". Coming from my GT, I felt right at home, all the switches and dials are in the locations you'd expect them. On the other hand, little differences abound, from the unique badging to the different stitching on the door panels, and so on. Felt high quality.

2. The clutch feel is very different in a good way, almost lighter perhaps? It was hard to describe, and frankly didn't get a lot of use, so it was hard to get a sense of it. I think I was pretty much in 3rd or 4th gear the whole way around the track.

3. The sound is absolutely unique. I really like the sound of the GT too, but there is no mistaking one for the other. I am sure you will turn heads blasting onto a highway with that exhaust.

4. The car felt very planted at all times, even when taking a corner aggressively. I was rather cautious the first time around the track, but started to get a little more assertive on lap 2. I never felt like I was about to lose control. Of course, after both laps the instructor told me I was still way to cautious. He said my GT could be drive more aggressively that I was driving the GT350R.

5. The instructor didn't let me wind it out to redline - he kept telling me to up-shift around 6k. Perhaps the pros here can let me know why.

5. Despite my lack of track experience, it felt totally approachable. Not hard to imagine this being your daily car, though I never drove it off the track, so hard to get a sense for the suspension would feel on a rough road.

Other notes:

1. Some of the steering wheel switches are different and control driving and steering modes instead of the phone/SYNC system.

2. There is a "drag strip" driving mode. No idea what it means.

3. You can change the exhaust note: sport or normal, I believe. May be only an R thing?

4. I personally liked the car without any racing stripes. It looked more sinister without them to me. Looks great in all colors.

5. The models with Sync have Sync 3. Didn't have a chance to fiddle with anything, had my eyes focused on the road.

After the event was done, I took my GT for a short ride up nearby Laureles Grade road, which is highly recommended. Very scenic and windy and fun. I had driven that in the GT before, but my new found confidence had me taking things a bit faster than before.

One interesting side effect of the driving the GT350 is that made me appreciate the GT more. Both cars are really pretty great, but for my uses I am totally satisfied with the performance of the GT, which I then drove my back to the bay area. It was hard keeping it under 80 :)

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
You were at the media track day today? Any impressions if you are allowed to share?
Just really shocked at the level of performance. Being new to the car and the track I wasn't all that comfortable in pushing it for the meager two laps we were allowed. When I was taken around for the hot laps however... this car is a supremely capable machine. Many Euro car owners are going to be embarrassed by its capability. Corner grip is insane, and I couldn't believe how deep they were braking into the turns. The power is linear and just keeps coming. Does somebody want to buy my LS lol...

I was speaking with one of the guys that ran the Boss Track Attack out at Miller about this new car. He told that he's really pleased with the durability, how they try to get the brakes to fade and they haven't been able to. They've been beating on these cars for a while now and they've had nothing go wrong with them.

Sponsored

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500
Just really shocked at the level of performance. Being new to the car and the track I wasn't all that comfortable in pushing it for the meager two laps we were allowed. When I was taken around for the hot laps however... this car is a supremely capable machine. Many Euro car owners are going to be embarrassed by its capability. Corner grip is insane, and I couldn't believe how deep they were braking into the turns. The power is linear and just keeps coming. Does somebody want to buy my LS lol...

I was speaking with one of the guys that ran the Boss Track Attack out at Miller about this new car. He told that he's really pleased with the durability, how they try to get the brakes to fade and they haven't been able to. They've been beating on these cars for a while now and they've had nothing go wrong with them.

More, more, more!!! Keep it coming!

Were you in an R? Curious to know if there is a huge, noticeable difference between the 350 and 350R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blondie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang V6
They've been beating on these cars for a while now and they've had nothing go wrong with them.
Now does that include the tech pack that everyone is worried cant take tracks days without the track pack coolers?

JGillis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO
I was at the GT350 Media Event today at Laguna Seca and took a bunch of pictures and two short videos at the link below (DropBox may ask you to create an account, just close that window, you don't need to an account to view the pics):

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/htymum2pn3zt775/AACwWxzkwjSDLq4rfW_Mdn85a
:coolphotos:

Are you guys all former/current Boss or GT500 owners is that how you got invited?

How many cars were out there? Spot any major journos out there? (MT/Pobst, Chris Harris, etc)?

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
More, more, more!!! Keep it coming!

Were you in an R? Curious to know if there is a huge, noticeable difference between the 350 and 350R.
All of the cars on the track were R models and had heard that they adjusted camber on the cars as well.

Now does that include the tech pack that everyone is worried cant take tracks days without the track pack coolers?
See above. I may have seen one track pack car on the track but the car I jumped in was this one:
11902305_10206358632476036_2554004421178421653_n.jpg

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
:coolphotos:

Are you guys all former/current Boss or GT500 owners is that how you got invited?

How many cars were out there? Spot any major journos out there? (MT/Pobst, Chris Harris, etc)?
Yes, the ones that got preliminary invites were former 1st buyers/owners of S197 Boss 302s and GT500s and S550 50th LEs alike. And the ones who registered asap got time slots while others who were late ended up on a waiting list. Since I'm on the SE coast I chose the last leg of the GT350 NA Tour which will be in the hallowed Sebring track.

Here's an example of the invite: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=690313#post690313

Sponsored

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
All of the cars on the track were R models and had heard that they adjusted camber on the cars as well.

See above. I may have seen one track pack car on the track but the car I jumped in was this one:
How did that color combo appear in person?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Yes, the ones that got preliminary invites were former 1st buyers/owners of S197 Boss 302s and GT500s and S550 50th LEs alike. And the ones who registered asap got time slots while others who were late ended up on a waiting list. Since I'm on the SE coast I chose the last leg of the GT350 NA Tour which will be in the hallowed Sebring track.

Here's an example of the invite: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=690313#post690313
Al, I will be in Sebring as well and hopefully we can hook up?

You attending Monday or Tuesday?

:shrug:

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Of course! I'm there on Monday, Oct. 13th... my confirmed slot is 8am-12noon :cheers:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Of course! I'm there on Monday, Oct. 13th... my confirmed slot is 8am-12noon :cheers:
???

I could be wrong but is Monday not October 12th? Are you there Monday or Tuesday?

I will be in Sebring Monday morning and hope you will be there on Monday as well?

:shrug:

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Oh yea I meant Tuesday Oct. 13th.... 8am-12pm as my registered confirmation. But I'll be there on Monday for kicks and pics. :D
Sponsored