Sponsored

GT350 H5486

Shawnski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever I need
Just took delivery of my GT350. So much has been written and recorded on these fantastic cars that I wanted to share some things that aren't always mentioned. Observations are as compared to my previous '16 GT PP.

The Recaro's offer a superior driving position and are more comfortable. The drivetrain has significantly less slop and the twin plate clutch has much better take up.

Vision over the hood is better and you can actually see where it ends. The interior is much more subdued. The bright pieces that surround the instruments, shift bezel, cup holders, door handles, and latches are now black chrome. Along with the dash facia and toggles being also black, changes the mood from cheap to almost Bavarian.

The gearing; dear God what an improvement! As anyone who knows and can attest to, the 5.0 PP 3.73 gears combined with 3.66 first gear, and subsequent short ratios means you row through the gears till you can actually use the torque. Yes the 5.2 generates less torque under 3k rpm vs. the 5.0, but the 3.25 first gear and subsequent relative gearing means you can actually drive in a more relaxed manner in traffic. :headbang:

So far (as I am in break in mode), this HiPo Mustang rides, steers, has a more refined drivetrain, and looks better inside. All these positives and I have yet to drive it over 3k rpm! Ford Performance honed the good bones (body structure, suspension design and styling) and took it to another level from the GT.

:ford:
IMG_4148.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Good points. I too like the blacked out interior. I don't want flashy bling shining at me when on track. Enjoy your new ride. Remember, it didn't happen if no pix. :headbang::D

Give us the pix. :p

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Just took delivery of my GT350. So much has been written and recorded on these fantastic cars that I wanted to share some things that aren't always mentioned. Observations are as compared to my previous '16 GT PP.

The Recaro's offer a superior driving position and are more comfortable. The drivetrain has significantly less slop and the twin plate clutch has much better take up.

Vision over the hood is better and you can actually see where it ends. The interior is much more subdued. The bright pieces that surround the instruments, shift bezel, cup holders, door handles, and latches are now black chrome. Along with the dash facia and toggles being also black, changes the mood from cheap to almost Bavarian.

The gearing; dear God what an improvement! As anyone who knows and can attest to, the 5.0 PP 3.73 gears combined with 3.66 first gear, and subsequent short ratios means you row through the gears till you can actually use the torque. Yes the 5.2 generates less torque under 3k rpm vs. the 5.0, but the 3.25 first gear and subsequent relative gearing means you can actually drive in a more relaxed manner. :headbang:

So far (as I am in break in mode), this HiPo Mustang rides, steers, has a more refined drivetrain, and looks better inside. All these positives and I have yet to drive it over 3k rpm! Ford took the good bones (body structure, suspension design and styling) and took it to another from the GT.

The overall refinement and attention to detail again is nearly Bavarian and it's actually a great value IMO.

I also didn't think an MT(for those of us who have not been spoiled by MGW shifters) could be this good in a Mustang. Recently added a raceseng shift knob. Did it for the aesthetics, but after trying it out, wow. Just makes the shifter seem that much more solid and direct.

v-man

Still Plays With Cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 350 LB Black stripe
nice write up looking good

Sponsored

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Congrats!
I read your number and theoughtbtheybhad a repeat.
Yours H5486, mine HR486!

Flat Rock Flyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Congrats Shawnski, but just wait...as BTO once said, "You ain't seen nothin' yet".:D

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So far (as I am in break in mode), this HiPo Mustang rides, steers, has a more refined drivetrain, and looks better inside. All these positives and I have yet to drive it over 3k rpm!

Don't baby it IMO. Once the engine oil is warmed up to 190 degrees, take the revs up, just no sustained WOT. No, not just internet disagreement. Direct from knowledgeable Ford service personnel and the GT350 manual.

OP
OP
Shawnski

Shawnski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever I need
I now have 1000 mi, driving normally and averaging 18.5 mpg. I did a biz trip yesterday that was cool enough to not run AC, cruise set at 77 MPH and 24.7 MPG. About 1.5 MPG less vs my previous GT PP 3.73 gears. The Gas Guzzler tax is a joke in so many ways, like why should the Feds get this money? What environmental benefit does this money provide?

I tend to drive and treat my cars like I will keep em forever, at least when street driving. I am looking forward to AutoX and track time next year. For now it's the daily grind, and It's been a pleasure. Yes, it does not have certain features like Premium examples of lesser S550s, but really the only thing I miss is the otherwise optional enhanced interior that includes real stitching in the dash (but GT350s do have the padded upper door covers). MyColor (instrument lighting options) would have been nice too, but I really don't miss that or the subwoofer. I do think Ford Performance missed an opportunity though to not have the white stitched dash pads that would be a perfect companion to the seat, steering and door trim.

Sixth gear is really tall, and that is about the only time I think about throttle response vs. the GT; it was rare to have to shift down from 6th gear in the GT.

I did have the occasion to let it wind out in 3rd when a Duramax HD has looming down on me recently. This along with a couple other episodes like that have made me giggle; the car has a power buzz, both figuratively and literally. It reminds me of something we used to call Superbikes. Big bore inline Jap fours that were responsive normally and then explode with a spine tingling fury when spun hard. What an exciting engine this Voodoo is, like two big bore Superbike motors on the same plane - fantastic!

So after 1000 miles, I am impressed by the essential car, and have yet to really scratch the performance window (need new pedals for easier heel/toe). The motor feels like it has much less internal mass than a Coyote 5.0, and the trans has become very good, and easier to engage 5/6 gears vs the MT82 Getrag trans.

All in all I have not been this excited about a car in a long time.

Cheers!

Last edited:

VoodooMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Big 3
Yes the 5.2 generates less torque under 3k rpm vs. the 5.0...
For the record, the 5.2 does NOT generate less torque under 3k RPM than the 5.0. It is about the same to 3000 RPM as the 5.0, then takes off. You'll see that, and the supporting data, in other discussions on this forum.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Shawnski

Shawnski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever I need
For the record, the 5.2 does NOT generate less torque under 3k RPM than the 5.0. It is about the same to 3000 RPM as the 5.0, then takes off. You'll see that, and the supporting data, in other discussions on this forum.
IMG_1214.JPG

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Don't baby it IMO. Once the engine oil is warmed up to 190 degrees, take the revs up, just no sustained WOT. No, not just internet disagreement. Direct from knowledgeable Ford service personnel and the GT350 manual.
Yes, you should not keep the revs so low. ^^^^^Warm it up as specified and vary the rpm widely. Usual once an outing, I will take her up to near redline and slow down to idle speed on compression alone. I'm not saying to take it up to redline with the pedal on the floor, but many feel that the motor needs to have the rpm vary to break it in under all operating conditions for which the motor is certified. After a thousand miles or so, you can start honking on it under load. However with few miles, I would suggest exploring the full spectrum of engine rpm to break it in well. Also don't let it sit at idle to warm it up. Start it and then start driving. I usually keep rpm to 3k until 190F oil temperature.

With that said, it's your car, do as you wish.

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
Ditto what Tomster just.said regarding suggested break-in.....well said & IMHO very sage advice! :)

OP
OP
Shawnski

Shawnski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever I need
Yes, you should not keep the revs so low. ^^^^^Warm it up as specified and vary the rpm widely. Usual once an outing, I will take her up to near redline and slow down to idle speed on compression alone. I'm not saying to take it up to redline with the pedal on the floor, but many feel that the motor needs to have the rpm vary to break it in under all operating conditions for which the motor is certified. After a thousand miles or so, you can start honking on it under load. However with few miles, I would suggest exploring the full spectrum of engine rpm to break it in well. Also don't let it sit at idle to warm it up. Start it and then start driving. I usually keep rpm to 3k until 190F oil temperature.

With that said, it's your car, do as you wish.
Well you break it in like you drive it, that is to say don't lug it, ever. Not my first rodeo, put together a few (3) short deck SBF motors and had a motor built for my Lightning. All good.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Well you break it in like you drive it, that is to say don't lug it, ever. Not my first rodeo, put together a few (3) short deck SBF motors and had a motor built for my Lightning. All good.
Just trying to help bro
Sponsored