GT230 exhaust sputter/leak

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT230 Convertible
Hey everyone, I’m having a weird sputtering sound coming from my car (video below), most noticeable under acceleration but the idle noise is changed too. I’m assuming an exhaust or turbo issue, it started very light and has gotten worse with time, I also notice it smells like it running rich after anything past mild acceleration and power feels like it’s considerably down when accelerating in boost levels.

The noise gets louder and worse the more heavy acceleration I push, on WOT (windows up) at highway speeds it sounds horribly loud and something is leaking or broken. It left a vibration under acceleration afterwards that lasted maybe 5-10 minutes and went away. Engine fuel/air appears to be just fine and RPM’s are super smooth.

This is the 2.3 Ecoboost, everything’s stock on the engine, no tune. Just a Mishimoto Raidiator, CVF charge pipes and a Whipple Race intercooler. Does have 145K miles, but everything’s been maintained religiously with no major issues ever. Not too worried about the issue, even if the turbo is shot I don’t mind buying a new one (probably go Turbonetics), I just really don’t want to waste time at a shop diagnosing and wasting money.

IMG_4491.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Benjamin Hundred

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
I’m unable to upload anything on this forum, added it to YouTube and this is the sound I’m dealing with, all stock OEM Ecoboost exhaust.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Benjamin Hundred

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a way to monitor AFR?
Hey, thank you for the reply. I have ForScan that I can connect to a laptop, am I able to monitor it that way? Otherwise is there another way you’d recommend?

The Air/Fuel ratio stays around 14.0-14.3 while idling which it’s always been and idles perfectly smooth even when making the noise. Though this has been making me wonder if I should swap the LPFS out? :/ I’ve done all the other maintenance religiously and even done the Purge Valve line twice.
https://ppflco.com/products/low-pressure-fuel-sensor-lpfs-2015-2022-mustang-ecoboost

5550snotamerc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 eco convertible auto
LPFS is so cheap easy I did it preemptively. If you haven't done it I would do it asap. I don't know if forscan can monitor afr but I am definitely going to try tomorrow.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Benjamin Hundred

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
LPFS is so cheap easy I did it preemptively. If you haven't done it I would do it asap. I don't know if forscan can monitor afr but I am definitely going to try tomorrow.
Ordering the LPFS, I had just heard for some people it caused issues when they swapped. Everything else is fresh on this car, purge valve done about 10K miles ago and trans fluid swap, diff fluid and spark plugs every 35-40K, AMSOIL SS every 3-5K so I shouldn’t be a maintenance issue with this noise.

OP
OP
Benjamin Hundred

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
Issue was a cat that cracked at the mesh flex point, was allowing air to leak, making the noise and smell. Just ordered a new CVF catted downpipe to fix, did early next day air, so should hopefully have installed tomorrow.

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Issue was a cat that cracked at the mesh flex point, was allowing air to leak, making the noise and smell. Just ordered a new CVF catted downpipe to fix, did early next day air, so should hopefully have installed tomorrow.
WOW when I saw the mileage I was gonna suggest the down pipe. Mine failed at about 90K. The downpipe on my 2015 was really weak and cheap IMO. I have replace the stock for a CVF no cat downpipe. The quality on their stuff is great.

OP
OP
Benjamin Hundred

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
WOW when I saw the mileage I was gonna suggest the down pipe. Mine failed at about 90K. The downpipe on my 2015 was really weak and cheap IMO. I have replace the stock for a CVF no cat downpipe. The quality on their stuff is great.
One of the very few issues I’ve had, the purge valve has been replaced twice and then this issue with the cat. Otherwise only ever been maintenance regularly and no problems ever.

Glad to hear the quality is good, I have their charge pipes for my Whipple intercooler and haven’t had any issues. My only complaint with them is I paid almost $200 more for UPS early next day air as I need it asap and they sent ground shipping instead from Florida to California.

OP
OP
Benjamin Hundred

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
New catted downpipe is installed, I’m absolutely loving the sound, some turbo spool and a small amount more exhaust noise.
Now I’m specifically looking for the Borla Touring catback, if anyone knows of one for sale lmk 😃
Here’s here’s the OEM downpipe, flex point was destroyed.

IMG_4936.jpeg

IMG_4939.jpeg
Sponsored