Sponsored

Gloss Black Rear Decklid Cover

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
Just noticed there is a gloss black decklid cover available on American Muscles website for like a 100 bucks. Has anyone used it, does it need to go over a stock decklid or can it be used without one. Also if its a cover wouldnt it stick out higher once its placed on top of the stock decklid?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mp-concepts-gloss-black-decklid-panel-1517.html
Sponsored

kingstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Looks like it goes over the stock one? I'd imagine that'd look weird but I'd be interested in some pics.

Nick71692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Mustang
Mine will be here tomorrow and I can report back. I was on the fence on a full replacement versus cover but thought for $100 ill try it.

OP
OP

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
Mine will be here tomorrow and I can report back. I was on the fence on a full replacement versus cover but thought for $100 ill try it.
Yes please let us know, I ordered it but canceled as soon as I realized it was a cover and not a full replacement. Some pics would be awesome once you get it installed.

Sponsored

Nick71692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Mustang
Installed...big let down. Didnt even bother taking pictures, no one would find it acceptable. The plastic was so warped around the camera it wouldnt even sit flush so there was a massive gap, at least a 1/4". Maybe I got a bad one but id look elsewhere

Sponsored
OP
OP

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
Well that sucks... are you going to keep it or return it

Bealzabubba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB / PP Platinum White
What options are there currently for a badgeless decklid? The "best" option seems to be the MMD replacement panel, painted black for $250. (Related: is the stock decklid UA black? Shadow Black? or some other variant of black?)

The only other options seem to be:

1. Pull your decklid and have a body shop fill the badge holes and re-shoot it, or

2. a CF replacement decklid like this one for a current price of $305. For me, that wouln't really work aesthetically, and it seem a shame to pay the premium for CF and then paint it (assuming that can be done).

Personally, I just don't like the chrome, and would like to get rid of it rather than go the black pony replacement / stanginator / plasti dip routes.

OP
OP

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
What options are there currently for a badgeless decklid? The "best" option seems to be the MMD replacement panel, painted black for $250. (Related: is the stock decklid UA black? Shadow Black? or some other variant of black?)

The only other options seem to be:

1. Pull your decklid and have a body shop fill the badge holes and re-shoot it, or

2. a CF replacement decklid like this one for a current price of $305. For me, that wouln't really work aesthetically, and it seem a shame to pay the premium for CF and then paint it (assuming that can be done).

Personally, I just don't like the chrome, and would like to get rid of it rather than go the black pony replacement / stanginator / plasti dip routes.
MMD makes the matte black and you can do color match or the shadow black which apperently is very close if not the same color as the original.

On facebook one guy said he used bondo to cover up the holes on his original decklid and then sanded to paint with Autoflex, his looked like stock after but i think he was experienced with that kinda stuff.

Im thinking filling in the holes (or not) and then wrapping it in gloss black vinly. I just dont know if it would look good and Ive never wrapped anything with vinyl so I might need an installer to do it.

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 401a RIP
I know a lot of you guys keep saying to get Shadow Black for the MMD panel... however I want you to consider something. UA Black came before shadow black was an option. I doubt ford would have made the taillight surrounds anything other than UA black.

I even e-mailed American Muscle, and they told me that UA black would be the closest match, as shadow black has additional color depth, that, in certain lighting conditions, would look somewhat off from the taillight surrounds.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I'm ordering mine in UA black to be safe. There are plenty of people here on the forums who swear by shadow black, so unless you're extremely anal about the color, I'm sure either would be fine. Just a heads up.