Getting in and out

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have no problem getting in and out even though I am 60 I am very athletic. The seats are somewhat low- like my past 1985 Corvette and also my 2016 Miata ND. My trick on all of the cars to get out is to grip the lower door sill with my left hand and push up with my arm to help lift me off of the seat. Then I simply swing my left leg out first, then my right leg and stand up. To get in I place my right leg in, grab the lower door sill with my left hand and support myself with my arm as I swing my body into the seat. I try and not rub the seat bolsters too much to minimize wear. My arms are also strong to lift me so this may or may not work for everyone. But using your left arm may at least help you get out of the seat.
Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I just get in and out without thinking about it. Well, I used to, now you guys are making me all self-conscious, like when the doctor gets the stethoscope and tells you to breathe normally. You can't breathe normally if you're thinking about breathing! Now I'm probably going to fall out of my car and run myself over in my own garage. Gee, thanks, guys. :curse:

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest, I think it has simply taken me time to get used to getting into my Mustang. After all, I came from a Ford Escape. As you can appreciate, that SUV is higher off the ground, and the doors are shorter.
Thanks for all the responses, especially the funny ones! ;)

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I am old too with a stomach. I get in with my right leg in first as if I am going to push down the clutch (not that stretched out). As I lower my body, I twist to the right and position my butt onto the seat followed by left leg inside. Much more comfortable getting in/out compared with 2014 VW Jetta GLI Autobahn.

I had street legal 35% tint installed. Looks very cool with the tint. Next, I plan to install the Valentine 1 radar detector when weather gets warmer. Not sure about a car cam.

What I miss is Mustangs don't come with DVD player -- can you guess who's playing guitar?
Video in Motion.jpg

abbeynormal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PPGT Magnetic
Getting out, I find grabbing the rocker/rail next to the seat with my left hand and kind of pivoting out on my arm works pretty well.

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I must have gotten in/out of my mustang at least 500 times by now. Within the first week of driving it I noticed I had to make an effort to not scuff the door panel with my shoes. I’ll be damned because I still add at least one scuff a week when I’m not paying attention. If I could just fix that I’d be a happy camper.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, been there, done that!

I must have gotten in/out of my mustang at least 500 times by now. Within the first week of driving it I noticed I had to make an effort to not scuff the door panel with my shoes. I’ll be damned because I still add at least one scuff a week when I’m not paying attention. If I could just fix that I’d be a happy camper.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I usually always end up scuffing the door panel, no mater how much I try not to. Has anyone clipped their ear on the top of the driver side door window when lowering themselves down in the car? Now that hurts.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have not.
But, I do feel I might need to get a mat (rubber) for the drivers side. I feel as if when I place my right leg in, the heel drops into the SAME spot each time. To me, in time, that will create a hole.

I usually always end up scuffing the door panel, no mater how much I try not to. Has anyone clipped their ear on the top of the driver side door window when lowering themselves down in the car? Now that hurts.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not my ear, but I have smacked the top of my head getting into a variety of cars, and I'm only 5-10.

I can't avoid the scuff marks, again in more cars than just Mustangs. Left knee has restricted range of motion.

Norm

Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not.
But, I do feel I might need to get a mat (rubber) for the drivers side. I feel as if when I place my right leg in, the heel drops into the SAME spot each time. To me, in time, that will create a hole.
I use Weathertech mats. They keep the carpet looking brand new and make cleaning the car so much easier.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not my ear, but I have smacked the top of my head getting into a variety of cars, and I'm only 5-10.

I can't avoid the scuff marks, again in more cars than just Mustangs. Left knee has restricted range of motion.

Norm
I've done that a few times too but when cars are parked right next to me, and I have to squeeze down into the car, I tend to catch my ear right on the window. I have no idea why, I have normal sized ears, I think haha. It happened on my old SN95 too. I never realized how sensitive an ear was until I bought a Mustang.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
At this point, given old joints and sizeable shoes, it seems like the door scuffs are inevitable.

Now I'm remembering a similar problem in my first MGB (GT), and that in those far-away days the accessory makers offered a triangular piece of matching carpet that attached using the stock door panel fixing screws. I'll have to look into something like that.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
Ha ha my wife complains every time she has to get in and out... makes me feel younger than her (though I’m not).

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Lol, yes I did do that once so far, had forgotten all about it until you said that. Yes it did hurt enough to remember it.
Sponsored