Getrag MT82

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
I had both a 1999 Mustang GT with a Borg-Warner T-45 and a 2002 Camaro SS with a Tremec T-56. Neither shifted as cleanly and consistently as the MT82-D4 in my current car, as modified below.
this is 100% my experience as well. maybe the 2022 example isn't engineering perfection but it lacks nothing and does exactly what i want it to all the time. the throws are perfect, its easy to use, the gearing is fine, and its crisp but not too crunchy. yeah, it doesn't feel like using a bolt action rifle but the stock shifter also requires zero setup and is built to last 200K miles.

i have several complaints about the car but I'll keep saying the 6spd isn't one of em.

OP
OP

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP Grabber Yellow
So I went out this morning in search of issues when shifting near redline from 1-2 and 2-3. I tried the experiment 6 times. 3 times in Sport+ mode and 3 times in Track mode. Didn't have any issues. No lockout from 2-3, no problem slamming into gear from 1-2. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Julian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0t, 2008 Infiniti G35x
Question re. replacing the MT82 fluid with Motul Multi-DCTF, should an additive like the XL-18 be added too?

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So I went out this morning in search of issues when shifting near redline from 1-2 and 2-3. I tried the experiment 6 times. 3 times in Sport+ mode and 3 times in Track mode. Didn't have any issues. No lockout from 2-3, no problem slamming into gear from 1-2. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...
Try doing it with WOT next time :) And as fast as you can for example try doing 0-60 run 3 time in a row from a light and let us know how you feel about it ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
Try doing it with WOT next time :) And as fast as you can for example try doing 0-60 run 3 time in a row from a light and let us know how you feel about it ;)
I did do it with WOT as fast as I could, traffic permitting. Otherwise it wouldn't have been a very good test, so I get what you're saying.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I did do it with WOT as fast as I could, traffic permitting. Otherwise it wouldn't have been a very good test, so I get what you're saying.
Try and shift really quick, as in a 1/2 second, if possible.

This is a 1-2 shift that I did while out doing some testing after doing some work on my car. I didn’t time it, but as you can see, there’s not really any pause during the shift. When I have the car on the drag strip, I’m making a concerted effort to shift as quickly as I can.

Last edited:
OP
OP

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)

This is a 1-2 shift that I did while out doing some testing after doing some work on my car. I didn’t time it, but as you can see, there’s not really any pause during the shift. When I have the car on the drag strip, I’m making a concerted effort to shift as quickly as I can.

Looks like I have homework for tomorrow's drive.... :sunglasses:

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I installed the below four Steeda MT82 parts and mine shifts great. Was never too disagreeable even when stock but it's close to a rifle bolt now.

All are currently on Black Friday sale for $225 total. Mention that you're an M6G member and they'll probably throw in free shipping.

$13
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-7022-s550-clutch-spring

$30
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mt-82-transmission-mount-bushing-insert-2011-2015-555-4037.html

$63
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-shifter-base-bushing-bracket-kit-2015-all-555-7092.html

$119
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-tri-ax-short-throw-shifter-2015-all-555-7316.html

Plus a solid stainless steel shifter ball to replace the stock knob. Weighs over a pound and helps it go into gear with less force.

$50
https://www.shiftsolutionsco.com/product/cs-series-shift-knob

I still plan to switch my fluid to Motul Multi DCTF for even smoother fast shifts.
I installed the full shifter kit on my car, so I guess what I'm missing is the bushing Insert... I may order that now. Just a bit of nibble/notchiness/slight grinding noise on some shifts, but not always. The MT-82 decides when.

OP
OP

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
I went out for a test drive this morning. WOT, shifting as fast as I could, but couldn't repro the issues. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have this installed. I'm running the performance tune. If I recall correctly, there is another member here who's got the same setup and if I remember correctly, he mentioned that after installing the kit the shift from 1 to 2 felt easier/smoother.

Sponsored

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost

I've watched this several times and I'm still confused! When does the 1-2 shift occur? At 9 or 10 seconds? Because it looks like you're pushing forward there, or is that just some sort of illusion?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I've watched this several times and I'm still confused! When does the 1-2 shift occur? At 9 or 10 seconds? Because it looks like you're pushing forward there, or is that just some sort of illusion?
Yes, 9-10 seconds in I shift to 2nd quickly and you no longer see the shift knob, but rather, the shift boot instead. I also make a normal shift into 3rd shortly thereafter, but by then I’m off the throttle.

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Yes, 9-10 seconds in I shift to 2nd quickly and you no longer see the shift knob, but rather, the shift boot instead. I also make a normal shift into 3rd shortly thereafter, but by then I’m off the throttle.
Gotcha! When the camera falls it's confusing, but at least I can hear it. 👍🏼

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Gotcha! When the camera falls it's confusing, but at least I can hear it. 👍🏼
Yeah, I just had the camera propped up near the mode selector switch and not in a mount, so it fell over pretty easily.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Question re. replacing the MT82 fluid with Motul Multi-DCTF, should an additive like the XL-18 be added too?
Stay away from XL-18 after break-in and fluid swap. That stuff isn’t kind to bronze components.
Straight Motul Multi-DCTF, nothing else needed.
Sponsored

Last edited: