Sponsored

General Engine Behavior/Quirks? (GT)

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CSGT Competition Orange
So I've noticed some inconsistent behavior, specifically at idle, now that I've spent a good amount of time behind the wheel and in a variety of conditions.

Sometimes the idle seems a bit rough - as in, I can feel the car moving a little. It reminds me of an I4 idle. Other times the engine idles so smooth that you'd swear it wasn't even running if you couldn't hear it.

Something else I've noticed is a bit of hesitation immediately following startup after it's been completely warmed up. Granted, it's only if I try to blip the throttle within a few seconds of start up. I'm guessing this has something to do with the computer checking the TPS, but I'm not sure?

I've also noticed something that sounds like a tiny supercharger/turbine - I'm assuming this is the high-pressure fuel pump, but I'm just curious what that noise is? Not concerning, just odd.

With all of that being said, I'm under the assumption that all of this is just normal behavior, but I thought I'd ask some people that have a few miles on their GTs now.
Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Check make sure u dont have a vaccum leak,that could be the whistle noise and also cause idle issues.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
So I've noticed some inconsistent behavior, specifically at idle, now that I've spent a good amount of time behind the wheel and in a variety of conditions.

Sometimes the idle seems a bit rough - as in, I can feel the car moving a little. It reminds me of an I4 idle. Other times the engine idles so smooth that you'd swear it wasn't even running if you couldn't hear it.

Something else I've noticed is a bit of hesitation immediately following startup after it's been completely warmed up. Granted, it's only if I try to blip the throttle within a few seconds of start up. I'm guessing this has something to do with the computer checking the TPS, but I'm not sure?

I've also noticed something that sounds like a tiny supercharger/turbine - I'm assuming this is the high-pressure fuel pump, but I'm just curious what that noise is? Not concerning, just odd.

With all of that being said, I'm under the assumption that all of this is just normal behavior, but I thought I'd ask some people that have a few miles on their GTs now.
You need to find a hobby, or is this IT?

Sponsored

OP
OP
OrangeRush

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check make sure u dont have a vaccum leak,that could be the whistle noise and also cause idle issues.
Good point, though I wouldn't necessarily call it a "whistle". It has a much more consistent sound than something I would associate with an air (vacuum) leak.

Ever seen one of those turbocharger keychains that you can blow on? They make a "whirlygig" type of sound - that's kind of what it sounds like.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
mine does some kinda movement at idle also, its normal my challenger did it , my buddys ss does it ,even my other buddys c63 amg , nothing crazy just the v8 wanting to move a bit .. totally normal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That's called having a V8 under the hood.

OP
OP
OrangeRush

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mine does some kinda movement at idle also, its normal my challenger did it , my buddys ss does it ,even my other buddys c63 amg , nothing crazy just the v8 wanting to move a bit .. totally normal
That's called having a V8 under the hood.
Well, I suppose I should have been more clear in my question - I understand that movement of the car during idle is normal. What I was curious about was the inconsistent behavior. Every other car that I've had that had a rough idle did it all the time; whereas with this GT, it only does it sometimes.

Tninl16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Mine does the exact same thing, has done it since i got the car. Still does it after the car has been tuned, like yours it only does it occasionally. I wouldn't worry too much it seems pretty common.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well, I suppose I should have been more clear in my question - I understand that movement of the car during idle is normal. What I was curious about was the inconsistent behavior. Every other car that I've had that had a rough idle did it all the time; whereas with this GT, it only does it sometimes.
Yeah, it is occasional. I haven't driven enough to determine at what situations it idles a little more exciting than other times. No logging tools either to see what is going on.
Sponsored