Sponsored

Fun story about my Ford account (and something you need to know)

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
About a month ago, I started noticing my Ford account won't login on https://owner.ford.com anymore. At the moment I thought it might be server maintenance, but after posting here it turns out that's not the case, everyone reported they can log in except me. So I contacted Ford, they verified that my account is behaving really weird (can login to everywhere except owner.ford.com), and said they'll escalate to their web team and let them deal with it. Moments later I got a email saying this.
attachment.png

I know they're trying to fix issues, and I didn't read through the user's agreement thoroughly when registering so I can't say for sure that's illegal. But how secure do you think your account is? At least I'm not. Turns out it doesn't matter how secure your password is, they can just change it without you knowing (I didn't get a password reset email like when you reset it yourself).

Anyways, back to the story about my account not being able to login. Two weeks after the initial contact with Ford, my account still doesn't work. So I called Ford (the first time was through online chat), and asked for updates on the issue. And guess what, the first guy told me to try everything again (i.e. different browsers, different systems, resetting password) and of course nothing works, so he escalated my call and another rep and sure enough "please try ...". At that moment, since I know if they wanted to they can just change my password on their end, I just said "here, this is my password, you can try it yourself". And again, nothing works so the guy checked the status of the ticket and told me it's still under process and I should wait for updates through email. So looks like that's a dead end.

Fast forward another week and still nothing has been fixed, so I decided to figure it out myself, and yes I'm just too lazy before to handle this myself before. After some digging, I noticed something weird is showing in my address. I didn't take a screenshot but let's say my address is "1234 XXXXXX St", it's now showing "1234 XXXXXX St Il" when I login to fordpass.com. So I tried to edit my address on the website but the "Il" just stays there no matter what I do. I then logged into www.ford.com and tried to change my address there, it worked (kind of), it's not showing the "Il" anymore on the www.ford.com or fordpass.com, but I still can't login to https://owner.ford.com. So I tried the Fordpass app on my phone, and sure enough the "Il" is still there. And I also noticed that the "Il" isn't on the same line as my address, I don't have a screenshot so here is what it should look like:
1234 XXXXXX St
CITY, STATE ZIP
But it actually looks like this:
1234 XXXXXX St
Il
CITY, STATE ZIP
No idea how this happened but it looks like it somehow added a new line character in between the street address and the "Il", and https://owner.ford.com can't handle these types of special characters it just returns with an error. And the thing is, even if I don't save the address in the Fordpass app, it'll still save it and because of the glitch it replaces the newline character with a space, then appends another newline with "Il" at the end, so everytime I go check my address in the app, it will get a new "Il", i.e after a few times my address will look like this:
1234 XXXXXX St Il Il Il Il
Il
CITY, STATE ZIP
Anyway, since I have a potential solution to fix my account, I contacted Ford again, thinking they'll be able to change my address in their database and correct the issue. But nope, they can't do it, even though they can clearly just change the password to whatever they want they can't change my address, and the solution is change my email address associated with my account through the Fordpass app (and yeah, only through here, the website doesn't allow changing emails), and register again. Oh and apparently they can't contact me through phone since I "chatted online" with them to report the issue.

Anyways, I've already registered a new account in the process of diagnosing the problem so I just started using that new account, but I really think Ford should hire some people that actually knows what they're doing.
1.png
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Do you mean like the person who put my back window in crooked? Or the one that left granules in the paint?

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
interesting wow
Sponsored