Sponsored

Fuel Gauge Problem - Incorrect "Miles to Empty" Reading

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The other weirdness is that MPG by the computer is consistently 1.5 mpg better than manual calculation of miles divided by gallons. Every tank, every time, 1.5 mpg different.
That's pretty normal for the on-board MPG to show a little better than a calculated MPG (miles driven between fill-ups divided by gallons to fill-up). Every car I've had with a MPG showing on the dash is that way.
Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hi I'm late to this thread but I just wanted to mention I experienced the exact same issue with my car today. If you see this, did you resolve the issue?
Have you spoken to the dealer about this, Gurion4887? I recommend taking it in to have them check it out. Send over a PM with your VIN, mileage, name, phone number, and dealer info. I'll look into ways to best assist.

It hasn't been resolved, simply because I haven't had the chance to take my car in for service.
Let me know when you plan to take it in to the dealer, Farmundeh. I'll enlist any available resources on my end.

Jeff

OP
OP
Farmundeh

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
Have you spoken to the dealer about this, Gurion4887? I recommend taking it in to have them check it out. Send over a PM with your VIN, mileage, name, phone number, and dealer info. I'll look into ways to best assist.

Let me know when you plan to take it in to the dealer, Farmundeh. I'll enlist any available resources on my end.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, will do. Would you happen to know if other owners have reported similar issues?

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks Jeff, will do. Would you happen to know if other owners have reported similar issues?
Aside from what's come through this thread, your dealer's going to be better able to diagnose what's going on, and recognize if they've come across this previously or not.

Jeff

joec63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB
Happend to me . Drove to work the other day and when I arrived the gauge was reading just under half. At the end of the day to leave I started the car and noticed the fuel gauge was at E. The computer was still saying I had over 100 plus milles to empty. Stopped for fuel just in case.

Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Happend to me . Drove to work the other day and when I arrived the gauge was reading just under half. At the end of the day to leave I started the car and noticed the fuel gauge was at E. The computer was still saying I had over 100 plus milles to empty. Stopped for fuel just in case.
Accuracy is important, joec63. Let's get you to the dealer to check that out! Send a PM with your VIN, mileage, name, phone number, and dealer info. I'll loop in some assistance on my end.

Jeff

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
My low fuel light comes on around 35 miles, between 1/4 and E.

boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost PP
I know this is an older thread, but I'm having the same issue with my 2016 EB. This is the 2nd tank I've filled up since purchasing the car and both times, when I had about 80-90 miles left (per the computer), the needle will suddenly drop to empty and the 5-miles left warning will show. it will then drop to 0 over the next few miles of driving and stay at 0 even after shutting off the car and turning it back on. Were you guys able to get this fixed at the dealer?

boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost PP
So.. when I woke up the next morning, I was driving to the gas station, and JUST outside the station, my car ran out of gas...:frusty: It was a little embarrassing but also a bit alarming. I only drove about 300 miles since filling up, and that means I've either been getting 20 MPG overall or that I have a gas leak. Since I never smelled gas from my car or seen it drip, that means I've been getting about 20 mpg.. even though I do mostly highway @ 70-75mph.

I'm going to take my car to the dealer as soon as I can, but any insight into this problem can help.

I know this is an older thread, but I'm having the same issue with my 2016 EB. This is the 2nd tank I've filled up since purchasing the car and both times, when I had about 80-90 miles left (per the computer), the needle will suddenly drop to empty and the 5-miles left warning will show. it will then drop to 0 over the next few miles of driving and stay at 0 even after shutting off the car and turning it back on. Were you guys able to get this fixed at the dealer?

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
So.. when I woke up the next morning, I was driving to the gas station, and JUST outside the station, my car ran out of gas...:frusty: It was a little embarrassing but also a bit alarming. I only drove about 300 miles since filling up, and that means I've either been getting 20 MPG overall or that I have a gas leak. Since I never smelled gas from my car or seen it drip, that means I've been getting about 20 mpg.. even though I do mostly highway @ 70-75mph.

I'm going to take my car to the dealer as soon as I can, but any insight into this problem can help.
Boost.... your miles to empty is an approximation computer does with your driving style... so u do need to understand it is just an approximation on variable occurring in that moment of time or past 10-15 minutes. So it is based on lot of factors.. and many factos out of them can change instantly.. for expale.. raod angle inclination.. how much load on can.. how much ur pushing on gas. etc etc.... its alwwasy better to keep an eye on fuel guage...as soon it is less than 1/4 fill it.. becAUSE U DON WANNA PUT EXTRA PRESSURE on your fuel pump due to less gas

Sponsored

boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost PP
berserker_sid, thanks for the input. I know i shouldn't be running down my gas that much, and I usually fill up right when the gas light turns on, but it went from about 1/4 full (before gas light) to 0 during my 10 mile drive home. I assumed that this was due to a faulty sensor and I thought i had more than enough gas left, but it seems like it was the other way around and the computer was overestimating the whole time.

Anyway, I guess i'll have to go take the car in soon..

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
berserker_sid, thanks for the input. I know i shouldn't be running down my gas that much, and I usually fill up right when the gas light turns on, but it went from about 1/4 full (before gas light) to 0 during my 10 mile drive home.
Yeah, the gas gauge shouldn't drop from 1/4 full to empty in 10 miles. Definitely have the dealer look at it.

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
berserker_sid, thanks for the input. I know i shouldn't be running down my gas that much, and I usually fill up right when the gas light turns on, but it went from about 1/4 full (before gas light) to 0 during my 10 mile drive home. I assumed that this was due to a faulty sensor and I thought i had more than enough gas left, but it seems like it was the other way around and the computer was overestimating the whole time.

Anyway, I guess i'll have to go take the car in soon..
boost... if in fuel guage it went from 1/4 to 0.. then there is definitely a problem.. why i am telling you thi si because...it happned once or twice... that i had 1.4 fuel left and i have driven 10=15 city miles.. so could be mometarily... or ur seson is litle off charts

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals

How much gas were you able to put in tank at the gas station immediately after this? Full tank's worth or about 3.4 tank?

OP
OP
Farmundeh

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium

Your second post is a little alarming and makes me think that you're experiencing a different problem than whats going on with my car. When i spoke with a dealership about this problem last spring (the same dealership that said they'd have to drop the tank and replace the sensor), they said that it's unlikely the car would shut off so long as there's actually gas in the tank, even if the needle dropped to "E". Since then i've been playing it safe as much as possible as i had mentioned in one of my previous posts. But sure enough, this past summer I found myself on a stretch of highway with my needle dropping to "E" again with no gas stations anywhere near by. I tried pulling over and restarting the car but nothing changed. I knew there was gas in the tank so I eventually kept driving and hoped for the best. The gauge finally hit "0 miles to empty" and the car kept going. After about 10 minutes, the gauge reset and showed the correct mileage. I've had it happen a couple of times since (always on the highway), but luckily the car has never actually run out of gas and left me stranded. Once my work schedule calms down a bit I'm going to try having this addressed. If only Ford service centers in NYC/long island had better hours....:frusty:
Sponsored