Sponsored

Fuel Economy and Driving Modes

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I can say with 100% certainty that my mileage drops if I am in Sport+/Track mode compared to normal mode.
Would make sense given you are auto. In a manual, I have my doubts.
Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
It's not like the motor uses more fuel in sport or track, the throttle is just less linear. If you want your car to feel less sluggish in normal mode, push the accelerator more than you do in sport or track.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
I would expect it drops slightly in manual as well but only during acceleration and spirited driving which are already bad and no way to do a comparison. Once you hit cruising speeds it will be the same as normal.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
It's not like the motor uses more fuel in sport or track, the throttle is just less linear. If you want your car to feel less sluggish in normal mode, push the accelerator more than you do in sport or track.
At any give pedal position there will in fact be more fuel used by the engine in sport/track mode than normal mode.

Branden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
This may be true for a manual, but in the auto it holds your gear much longer leaving RPMs much higher than in normal and uses engine braking when you slow down. Even a slow controlled stop, it will rev up and downshift (pretty fluidly) for engine braking. Sport+ is consistently in a lower gear than Normal would be in. These things do impact fuel economy.

The OP doesn't indicate transmission type, which would definitely help answer the question.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
This may be true for a manual, but in the auto it holds your gear much longer leaving RPMs much higher than in normal and uses engine braking when you slow down. Even a slow controlled stop, it will rev up and downshift (pretty fluidly) for engine braking. Sport+ is consistently in a lower gear than Normal would be in. These things do impact fuel economy.

The OP doesn't indicate transmission type, which would definitely help answer the question.
OP here, I have a manual and I probably shift at roughly the same points no matter what mode I'm driving in. However, I probably accelerate somewhat faster with Sport+ mode given the sensitivity of the throttle, so it seems reasonable that it would consume more fuel due to faster acceleration.

So I guess I was wondering if you were able to shift at the same points and accelerate at the same rate in both modes, would there be any difference in mileage?

Branden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
OP here, I have a manual and I probably shift at roughly the same points no matter what mode I'm driving in. However, I probably accelerate somewhat faster with Sport+ mode given the sensitivity of the throttle, so it seems reasonable that it would consume more fuel due to faster acceleration.

So I guess I was wondering if you were able to shift at the same points and accelerate at the same rate in both modes, would there be any difference in mileage?
Purely conjecture, but I would assume given the same rate of acceleration and similar shift patterns that the difference becomes negligible--especially in the EB.

I would think the Auto GT would see the biggest difference, and between normal driving in normal mode, and aggressive driving in Sport+, the gauge typically drops a couple MPG. Even at that, I consider it negligible when considering how much I'm already spending on the car; payment, insurance, gas, washing, etc. An extra 20$ is just a fraction of overall cost of ownership.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. If you accelerate at the same pace in either mode while shifting at the same points, the fuel economy will be identical.

Your foot just requires less travel for the same amount of throttle opening.

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
Exactly. If you accelerate at the same pace in either mode while shifting at the same points, the fuel economy will be identical.

+1.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP

Agree, if you are in a manual.

Sponsored

huachucastang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium 6MT PP
I use sport mode all the time and get 25 MG in the city...I'll take that

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Guys its simple ofcourse sport plus and track mode uses more fuel but it is because you really cant adjust your foot on the pedal that accurate and control how fast the engine revs up!

We can do a case study! Put the car in neutral and normal mode, press the gas pedal down in an instant quarter way from the max point where the pedal meets the metal and record the rpm and how fast it took it to reach that rpm! Do the exact thing with sport plus, track and snow/wet mode!

gundam83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Oxford White
From my limited testing with my auto with 3.55 gears:

12mpg in sport mode in the city
16mpg driving normally in the city
22mpg in sport mode on the freeway (no cruise control)
28mpg driving normally on the freeway (no cruise control)

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
Guys its simple ofcourse sport plus and track mode uses more fuel but it is because you really cant adjust your foot on the pedal that accurate and control how fast the engine revs up!

We can do a case study! Put the car in neutral and normal mode, press the gas pedal down in an instant quarter way from the max point where the pedal meets the metal and record the rpm and how fast it took it to reach that rpm! Do the exact thing with sport plus, track and snow/wet mode!
How about you try and let us know how it goes? Good luck! :frusty:
Sponsored