Front end smashed - less than 3 weeks old

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
They have the right to look at the car and write quotes all day long. But it stops right there. They cannot tell you where to get your car repaired.
Go to the shop you want to use and look at the cars customers are about to pick up. There's your measuring stick.
Sponsored

TheRican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has Wheels
If the cars look clean then go for it. I've used dealer vs good ole boys and good ole boys definitely do a better job (their work and rep keep them going)

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
If the cars look clean then go for it. I've used dealer vs good ole boys and good ole boys definitely do a better job (their work and rep keep them going)
What he said. Former "Good ole Boy" shop owner myself. Made a career change and never looked back!

B-Fox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
F-350 Scorpion
ugh.

I Can't believe I missed this whole thread, really sorry to hear about what happened.

It's a terrible feeling seeing something coming without having enough time to stop it.

Definitely put out some feelers on body shops, finding a good one is very hard these days, insurance companies and "maaco" have beat their pricing down to the point that not many of them carry any pride in their work anymore.

I don't know your level of knowledge on body work. Make sure you know what to look for, be familiar with "orange peel" and "fish eyes". Getting the orange peel consistent and close to factory is almost impossible, but fish eyes are a dead giveaway and an eyesore.

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
Update #2

Eric (slight change in name for privacy reasons) has accepted full liability and his insurance company will cover any potential out-of-pockets on my end, from repairs and replacements, to rentals and possibly even diminished value. I have another inspection due tomorrow at 10am.

Seeking more advice as I got great tips last time: When I first got into this mess and opened up a claim with my All-State carrier, they had me get an inspection and quote from these guys who specialize in collision repairs (reputable shop called Sterling Auto Body; I've used them in the past). Well, now that Eric is accepting liability, I'll be going through his Esurance policy and they are wanting me to get a quote with their agent. Where do they want to send me to? The same exact place. Apparently All-State owns Esurance, and both carriers tend to refer customers to this same shop. So this is going to be a repeat of last week. It'll take 30 minutes, they'll go ooh-ahh-ouch, take photos, then print out a quote that's worthless (my entire hood was valued at something like $65 last time I went here). But they said the displayed values don't matter since they bill based on VIN and parts numbers.

Anyways, back to the advice seekage I need from you smart people. Would you just have the shop take care of your car? They look nice and they specialize in collision repair and only use OEM parts, so I would figure the end result should be promising.

Or... would you just say, "nope, I'm going to drop my car off at my Ford Dealer's collision center and you can work out how to pay them."

I just want the best possible work done. With the collision center, I saw them working on other cars and it was a very clean, professional environment. But this is their first shot at a fucked up Ford bumper (in an area that tends to never come out properly fitted from the factory as is for crying out loud). If I take it to Ford, something about them having access to these ambiguous (in my mind) records and knowledge of how to repair my Mustang will lead to the better end result. I just fear that they'll be less professional and have a higher chance of running my car around and having some fun. For what it's worth, I ordered my car, and it had over 20 miles by the time I picked up my keys. That hasn't sat right with me.

Basically, what would you do in my case?

I definitely wouldn't take it to Ford on the assumption that it would automatically result in better repair work. I know plenty who've been burnt by following this rationale. Like others have said, doing your homework on various body shops is critical.

And btw, I hope you asked lots of questions when you took delivery and saw 20 miles on your girl. I would have wanted a detailed explanation.

Sponsored

KArob486

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible (Ruby Red)
Update #2

Eric (slight change in name for privacy reasons) has accepted full liability and his insurance company will cover any potential out-of-pockets on my end, from repairs and replacements, to rentals and possibly even diminished value. I have another inspection due tomorrow at 10am.

Seeking more advice as I got great tips last time: When I first got into this mess and opened up a claim with my All-State carrier, they had me get an inspection and quote from these guys who specialize in collision repairs (reputable shop called Sterling Auto Body; I've used them in the past). Well, now that Eric is accepting liability, I'll be going through his Esurance policy and they are wanting me to get a quote with their agent. Where do they want to send me to? The same exact place. Apparently All-State owns Esurance, and both carriers tend to refer customers to this same shop. So this is going to be a repeat of last week. It'll take 30 minutes, they'll go ooh-ahh-ouch, take photos, then print out a quote that's worthless (my entire hood was valued at something like $65 last time I went here). But they said the displayed values don't matter since they bill based on VIN and parts numbers.

Anyways, back to the advice seekage I need from you smart people. Would you just have the shop take care of your car? They look nice and they specialize in collision repair and only use OEM parts, so I would figure the end result should be promising.

Or... would you just say, "nope, I'm going to drop my car off at my Ford Dealer's collision center and you can work out how to pay them."

I just want the best possible work done. With the collision center, I saw them working on other cars and it was a very clean, professional environment. But this is their first shot at a fucked up Ford bumper (in an area that tends to never come out properly fitted from the factory as is for crying out loud). If I take it to Ford, something about them having access to these ambiguous (in my mind) records and knowledge of how to repair my Mustang will lead to the better end result. I just fear that they'll be less professional and have a higher chance of running my car around and having some fun. For what it's worth, I ordered my car, and it had over 20 miles by the time I picked up my keys. That hasn't sat right with me.

I don't know how much this helps, but just to add my experience:

After receiving a quarter sized dent, scratch, and ball point pen tip sized dent in my hood from a piece of flying highway debris on the first day I drove her, I started getting estimates (and ended up going through insurance - 1100 dollar fix just for that!). I had the same dilemma, and checked up on body shop reviews.

Following your same line of thinking, I took it to the Ford Dealer Collision Center (who had just got done working on another 2015 that had a flying 2x4 on the freeway nail their hood). The dent and scratch repair? Excellent. The blending of my Ruby Red paint? Not so much. Air bubbles, paint was darker than it should be, and swirls galore.

Now, I should say I meet with the manager next week and they promise to make it right. But this was exactly what I was afraid of, at any body shop. I'm going to go with the paint guy had a bad day, or they had a rookie do it. But your mileage may vary...

OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Car is dropped off at the body shop. They were way more passionate about the idea of taking care of my car, and the supervisor was a three-time past Mustang owner. I feel comfortable with them. Waiting to hear back tomorrow on a real quote after they've removed the damaged panels. Also curious to see how bad the ETA on replacement parts will be.

In the meantime, Enterprise gave me this stripped out 2015 Jetta. After driving it for more than five minutes, I figured out that this is the car I'd want to lend to someone if I ever wanted to turn them off of driving. What a piece.

OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know how much this helps, but just to add my experience:

After receiving a quarter sized dent, scratch, and ball point pen tip sized dent in my hood from a piece of flying highway debris on the first day I drove her, I started getting estimates (and ended up going through insurance - 1100 dollar fix just for that!). I had the same dilemma, and checked up on body shop reviews.

Following your same line of thinking, I took it to the Ford Dealer Collision Center (who had just got done working on another 2015 that had a flying 2x4 on the freeway nail their hood). The dent and scratch repair? Excellent. The blending of my Ruby Red paint? Not so much. Air bubbles, paint was darker than it should be, and swirls galore.

Now, I should say I meet with the manager next week and they promise to make it right. But this was exactly what I was afraid of, at any body shop. I'm going to go with the paint guy had a bad day, or they had a rookie do it. But your mileage may vary...
Yeah I wasn't too satisfied with the idea of the dealer based collision center... I took a look at this body shop's garage and everything was really clean, and the cars being worked on looked well kept to. I hope your meeting goes well and fingers crossed on your paint job getting corrected!

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
Car is dropped off at the body shop. They were way more passionate about the idea of taking care of my car, and the supervisor was a three-time past Mustang owner. I feel comfortable with them. Waiting to hear back tomorrow on a real quote after they've removed the damaged panels. Also curious to see how bad the ETA on replacement parts will be.
Good that you found a place you trust. Did they mention if all damaged parts could be replaced with new?

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Update #2

In my experience with Allstate/Esurance they assess the damage and can either write you a check or you can get it repaired where they suggest and they pay them directly. I had a similar situation a bunch of years ago with my 2005 Mustang. I opted for the check and getting it repaired at my ford dealership's collision center. They contacted Allstate to get the difference in the actual repair costs. Not sure what their stances are on it now though as I moved to GEICO.

Sponsored

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
What a drag. I hope your car is mended quickly and to your complete satisfaction. :(

OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Decided to take a peak through their fence while driving back home.

#nomakeup #noface
image.jpg

Terminated

GTFO_0009
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
Bagged & Boosted 50th Anniversary
Damn dude, I'm sorry to hear about all this :tsk: It sounds like you've got a good shop that cares to get it done though. I hope you get the car back soon!
Sponsored