Sponsored

From EcoBoost to GT

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
Thank you! :cheers:

Torque wise, not a whole lot below 4k. The EcoBoost with the tune was a little brutal at times with its torque delivery. The 5.0 is definitely smoother but it also has a little less.

Above 4k, there's no comparison. The 5.0 is a freight train after 3rd gear. The only modifications are Xpipe and Muffler Delete. It's almost too loud, still getting used to the volume but I can't hate on the sound of freedom.

I'll miss the Ecoboost, it was the little black beast that surprised everyone. With this being my first v8, it'll be known as Black Beast. Nothing about the GT is small lol
Funny hearing turbo 4 and torque in the same sentence. I have both an Evo and a Mustang. I believe the Mustang has a lot below 4k where the Evo lacks below 3k.
Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Funny hearing turbo 4 and torque in the same sentence. I have both an Evo and a Mustang. I believe the Mustang has a lot below 4k where the Evo lacks below 3k.
EB has a tiny turbo. Look at dyno charts, it makes stupid amounts of torque and has a very high 1st gear ratio on the manual with the 3.55. First gear tuned EB feels fast, not just quick. Shame that after you shift that realization of the lacking top end becomes very much apparent.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
Does anyone know if this occurred as much with previous-gen Mustangs? People buying a V6 and quickly trading up for a GT?
Unfortunately I think what happened was some people bought the ecoboost thinking they could mod the car cheaply and get close to or exceed the GT in performance, get better gas mileage, and insurance rates in the process. In practice however it's a bit tougher. You can certainly mod the Ecoboost to GT levels, but it'll cost you and you can kiss your warranty goodbye. At GT levels things start to break and you really need to start looking at building the motor and a turbo to go any further. Some bought them because they thought the handling would be a lot better than a GT... it's better, but not by much.

Then you have a used GT sitting there at a good price, probably a trade in from some BWM owner who bought it on a whim and decided it wasn't for them. Then the damn thing takes to boost like a fish to water, does it reliably, at near to or exceeding 700hp! :hail:

People who bought the V6 models generally had no illusions as to what they were getting. They wanted the look, but didn't care about performance. I'm sure some bought them for financial reasons intead of the v8's and switched if money allowed, but not everyone needs tire shredding performance.

Reactions: QRK

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
I came from a Mazda 6 V6 grocery getter to a Ecoboost stock. The first few weeks I felt like I was in a rocket, especially in sports mode, but it quickly faded.

You figure intercooler, Cobb, Pro tune, and you are up to about 2k easily worth in parts and labor just to get the feel you're in something that might take to 0-60 in 5 seconds. That's after voiding warranty and likely adding ware and tare to exhaust, ignition system, gaskets, seals, turbo, tires, suspension, and brakes. So not only are you voiding warranty if it fails, the parts around the car will also ware quicker adding to hidden costs down the road.

If you want style that can blow the skirt off of grocery getters and 17 year-old ricers then the eco and v6 are good. To be honest, I did not like the older generation stangs at-all. They sucked gas and looked like ass then figured why spend any money on them. Now you get a really good looking car with cheap horse power so the decision to buy one is not as black and white as it used to be.

Sponsored

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
Does anyone know if this occurred as much with previous-gen Mustangs? People buying a V6 and quickly trading up for a GT?
Yep, even when the 3.7 was new, there were people trading up within a year of owning it. Mostly happened when they were able to afford an upgrade.

I think it's just inevitable, no matter how good the other engines are. The 5.0 is always casting a shadow and nagging you to upgrade.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
Congrats..

I don't know when exactly I'll be able to trade mine in.. my insurance policy expires in 2 months, then I'll see if rates for a GT have become reasonable for me.. otherwise I'll just have to keep the old sneezer for a bit longer.. Lol.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I got a V6 mainly for financial reasons. If I got the GT that would mean higher monthly payments, more gas, more tires...possibly more speeding tickets too but that wasn't too much of a concern.

Even then I would not have been approved for a $34k GT, my new V6 was only $21k.

Had I gotten a GT I would probably be spending an extra $200/month which isn't exactly pocket change for me as I have other priorities. Plus I'd probably want to track the GT.

With that said I actually like my V6, I just threw on some FM Outlaws today and it turned my V6 to life. Ive test driven some 2016 GT's and while I loved the power and sound, I could definitely wait until im financially ready to get one. I'll probably wait until the new gen to get a GT.

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red
You V6/EB owners will actually, have a chance to get the 2018 model so that's a plus. I highly doubt they will drastically change much especially the power aspect because if they did, they will have to raise the cost a la GM and they're not going to go that route!

After getting the GT, like the guy in the video I feel vindicated!

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I've had the Coyote motor before, didn't really care for it to be honest. I'm supposing its great on boost just like the 4.6 mod motors but it never felt that good to me.

I'm not after big power numbers any more, I have a long drive to work on a highway that is perpetually crowded with only two lanes, I rarely get to exceed 70mph anyways. I just wanted something that was fun enough, looks good, and is comfortable with a manual transmission and not a 4-door. For the price of a 4-5 year old challenger or GT I got a brand new EB premium so I can't complain. I also plan to drive the car all year through the winter and while the GT can do snow ok I'm not going to bet on it.

Sponsored

BlackBoostedStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
What was my deciding factor was that my down payment for my GT was equivalent to the cost of a big turbo kit. I wanted to originally go big turbo.. but I didn't trust the reliability, even though my ecoboost has been bulletproof with basic bolt ons and the ones that blew were out of excessive strain, not conservative tunes like I would have ran.

But I digress, I kept my same payment, same finance terms and got a cheaper rate (very close to 1.99 apr) and my insurance costs actually went down $150 per quarter with the GT vs what I was paying in the ecoboost (don't ask how.. I'm still scratching my head on that one)

Also, thanks everyone for the strong support on the switch to the GT. A few months back everyone who was switching to was grouped into the "Oh they made a mistake" "Oh they think their ecoboost is going to blow up" category of EcoBoost owners but I haven't seen any of it as of late. So good on the community for understanding that!

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
I know someone whos doing the switch too. The first time i heard an eco with an exhaust take off.....

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
You made a good choice, the GT is an amazing performance machine. Power, poise, thrills.. The EB is a good little car but the GT will allways get the most smiles when driven.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
So... as I was driving different Mustangs on the lot trying to find one that was perfectly smooth without any of the driveline vibration, I tested a 16 GT automatic. I had driven an automatic GT side by side when I bought my EB last year and didn't like the heavy front end and steering compared to the EB. I had the same conclusion after driving one again. Just don't like the way the front end feels and heavier steering. I did like the exhaust note. The EB exhaust is best left as quiet as possible. It doesn't sound like an exhaust as much as the car is moaning, lol.
The GT is of course faster but not OMG faster. In fact, I was pretty underwhelmed. The dealer was really trying hard to trade me out of my car and into a GT- both for the vibration problem and just to sell another car. But, the EB is a better balanced car and with an intercooler and mild tune, plenty fast. Most guys would benefit more from spending the extra money on a driving school than on a faster car and the driving school is a blast- although you can't finance it over 5 years ;)
Sponsored