Sponsored

FP Rear shock leak?

shadowx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt premium 2019
I got a creaking noise in the rear driver side when at low speed and worse on bumps. I checked the suspension to reproduce the noise but I couldn't. Was the shock leaked here? Only in the driver side, the passenger side is dry.
1000057696.jpg
1000057710.jpg

Sponsored

LowPSI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2019 RTR Series 1
Mine did the same thing while my car was in storage during a deployment. Came back to the shock having emptied itself onto the garage floor. Same shock location too.

Only 2 years old and Ford refused to cover it under warranty unless a technician saw the issue and replaced it. Three week waiting period and then who knows how long to get the replacement. Not happening as I needed to drive to California from Texas in 3 days.

I overnighted a replacement from JEGS for like $230 and replaced it in 30 minutes. Extremely easy to replace. Ford still refused to refund me after I brought the leaky shock to them. Built Ford Proud.......

OP
OP

shadowx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt premium 2019
Mine did the same thing while my car was in storage during a deployment. Came back to the shock having emptied itself onto the garage floor. Same shock location too.

Only 2 years old and Ford refused to cover it under warranty unless a technician saw the issue and replaced it. Three week waiting period and then who knows how long to get the replacement. Not happening as I needed to drive to California from Texas in 3 days.

I overnighted a replacement from JEGS for like $230 and replaced it in 30 minutes. Extremely easy to replace. Ford still refused to refund me after I brought the leaky shock to them. Built Ford Proud.......
What were the symptoms or you didn't drive on it?

Who installed it? Maybe they need certified installer for the warranty? Mine is the same got 2 years on it.

LowPSI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2019 RTR Series 1
I took it out of storage and drove it around the local area. Car would make a clunk going over bumps. It also handled terribly. I popped the trunk and pushed on each corner until I was able to replicate the noise. It was the bump stop contacting during compression. Found the rear drivers side shock was wet and a stain on the garage floor from where it had leaked out.

I changed the shock out myself. The car came with the FP shocks as part of the RTR package.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
shock seals let go. If they last 5 years consider yourself lucky and replace them. You change oil ever 3-5000 miles, right? Same thing. Shocks must be replaced regularly.

Sponsored

OP
OP

shadowx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt premium 2019
The thing is I don't feel anything different in the handling. Got ford racing shocks with bmr handling springs. I just have creaking noise for example going reverse on an inclined driveway or in parking lot with really low speed or on speed bumps. I don't even know if it's the shock or something else. I guess need to replace it to see first.

OP
OP

shadowx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt premium 2019
Update: I just replaced the shock a few days ago. The shock isn't the cause of the creaking noise because I still have it.
Sponsored