Sponsored

Found a 96R AGM battery for our cars :)

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Don't know why I didn't find it before, but seems to be the only 96R AGM battery around:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-platinum-agm-battery-group-size-96r-590-cca-96r-agm/12102917-P?searchTerm=96R agm battery

Same 590CCA rating and everything. Need to find out if I need to change anything in FORScan, and how. Everything else is the same: 96R size, and 590CCAs. Was going to get another OEM Motorcraft from selling dealer, but prefer to spend the money on a sealed one. Never trusted wet-cell batteries. Hope this helps. Not in stock, but I can order it with free shipping, so will probably do that. But will call first to make sure it'd be a fresh one. Have a great weekend gang.
JC
Sponsored

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Elp,
Thanks for the find. Interesting why there are no other batteries available. Any thoughts considering I am sure that Ford uses the same battery in so many vehicles? I also wonder why so low CCA? I have always looked for CCA above 700.
I know CCA are measured at 32 degrees but many of us are just concerned about HCA which is how well the batteries preform in the heat which can soak power as well. That is a number you seldom see.
I am sure that paying over $200 for a battery would be a lot for some but having used AGM in other vehicles, I am sold on them. They come standard on most German higher end vehicles. I know one of my vehicles with AGM does not discharge nearly as much when sitting as the wet cell battery cars.

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
Don't know why I didn't find it before, but seems to be the only 96R AGM battery around:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-platinum-agm-battery-group-size-96r-590-cca-96r-agm/12102917-P?searchTerm=96R agm battery

Same 590CCA rating and everything. Need to find out if I need to change anything in FORScan, and how. Everything else is the same: 96R size, and 590CCAs. Was going to get another OEM Motorcraft from selling dealer, but prefer to spend the money on a sealed one. Never trusted wet-cell batteries. Hope this helps. Not in stock, but I can order it with free shipping, so will probably do that. But will call first to make sure it'd be a fresh one. Have a great weekend gang.
JC
Odyssey batteries has just come out with a battery in this size about a month ago.

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
That Odyssey seems to have over 1200 CCA and far more reserve capacity which would be a huge upgrade. At only 38 lbs very workable.
Odysseys are more expensive but if you research the construction then they are worth it in the long run.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey guys, now I'm wondering how the hell I'm going to remove the battery from that hole all the way back and inward. The OEM battery does NOT have a strap, but seems to have the slot for one. Wonder why it wasn't left there? And the bad thing about the AutoCraft Platinum is it doesn't even have a provision for a handle. I might be able to slip it in place, but removing it will be a b*tch, I'm sure. I somehow hurt my back, so will see if Advanced Auto can come to my house and remove it, hopefully without scratching (or denting) the crap out of my car. And put the new one there, so I can fully charge it before cranking the engine for the first time. The stock battery reportedly weighs 33 lbs; the AutoCraft 31.

Just checked Odyssey, and they DO make a 96R as well (600CCAs), but it's not what was described above, which is obviously a larger size that might not even fit in the tight battery box. At any rate, even their 96R weighs a mighty 41 lbs, and costs $259, so will stick with the $200 AutoCraft. But at least the Odyssey does have a handle.

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Elp,
Must have read the wrong write up on a different Odyssey. Batteries can be a bitch to get out and get back in.
Being older, I think about things like that as we do not heal as well as we did when younger. The Odysseys are heavy as they use pure thick lead . An extra 7 or 8 lbs is tough when leaning over putting something like a battery in a tight space. Seems like most newer cars always put the battery in hard to get to places to discourage you from DIY.
In the old days they were all right up front with nothing in the way and the hood opened all the way.
Let us know what the end result is. Good luck and take care of the back.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks Chuck. And I have 'tennis elbow' too, that just came out of the blue (due to the chemo), so we'll see how that goes. Ha ha. No way I'd have been able to remove the battery with the crap MTR hood strut kit. Even back to the stock rod, it doesn't open high enough for the battery that far back. And in that deep box with barely space to put your fingers inside. I'll check out how easy i'td be to remove that shroud.

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
I have often wondered why they add the shroud/engine covers.
Have a 2016 Porsche and they put the battery under the shroud so if you want to get to the battery you have to remove the shroud. Since I keep the car on a tender when not perfect weather the shroud did not last long on. It rests in a garage storeroom. I like to see and get to everything like the battery or check the brake fluid at a glance. Like to be able to check the oil dipstick on most cars but mine does not have one as it is done electronically on dash readout. Do not like that.
I guess I am old school but like and get to and see everything. Since mine is a mid engine I do not get road dust under the front cover so everything stays clean like a sealed trunk would in most cars.

tal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leschuck.com
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Coupe

Sponsored

tal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leschuck.com
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys, now I'm wondering how the hell I'm going to remove the battery from that hole all the way back and inward. The OEM battery does NOT have a strap, but seems to have the slot for one. Wonder why it wasn't left there? And the bad thing about the AutoCraft Platinum is it doesn't even have a provision for a handle. I might be able to slip it in place, but removing it will be a b*tch, I'm sure. I somehow hurt my back, so will see if Advanced Auto can come to my house and remove it, hopefully without scratching (or denting) the crap out of my car. And put the new one there, so I can fully charge it before cranking the engine for the first time. The stock battery reportedly weighs 33 lbs; the AutoCraft 31.

Just checked Odyssey, and they DO make a 96R as well (600CCAs), but it's not what was described above, which is obviously a larger size that might not even fit in the tight battery box. At any rate, even their 96R weighs a mighty 41 lbs, and costs $259, so will stick with the $200 AutoCraft. But at least the Odyssey does have a handle.
If you purchase the Advanced Auto AGM battery it will come with a handle you can swap to the old Ford battery. They look almost identical. At least the battery I purchased came with a handle...

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
A while back I was surfing batteries and that Advanced Auto Premium AGM was rated very high. I think it was made by Johnson Control which makes maybe 1/3 of all batteries made. As most of you know, only 3 major manufacturers make 98% of the auto and marine batteries made. Not convinced it is a good as the Odyssey however it is lighter, has a great warranty and much lighter..

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I've got this battery in the car now and works well.
Good to hear. Hey, did you make any changes in FORScan, or left it as it was? Thx.

If you purchase the Advanced Auto AGM battery it will come with a handle
Unfortunately, it doesn't. It doesn't even have a provision for one, and after looking at one physically, the AAP guy acknowledged that. The OEM has the slits for one, however, so hope to be able to borrow one from AAP, since its extraction is the hardest job. Taking the new one out will be even more interesting when the time comes. Ha ha.

I think it was made by Johnson Control which makes maybe 1/3 of all batteries made.
I think it's actually higher than 1/3. By the way, Johnson Controls sold its battery division to CLARIOS, as an FYI.

tal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leschuck.com
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
No changes in FORScan. If you look in my second pic it does show the handle. Guess they did away with it?

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yep; no handle at all anymore, as you can see in their current photo. It's also now 60Ah, not 45, so maybe it had to go to keep the same 96R dimensions. Who knows. Was trying to get info on FORScan forums, but if you haven't had any issues, will just leave the setting the same, and just reset BMS when the new one goes in.
Sponsored