Question about power delivery

B-Mitch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Hey guys/gals.... I test drove a couple '21 GTs before finally buying the one I bought, and they all seemed to be the same, but it just doesn't seem right. I have a manual '21 GT Premium Performance Pack (3.73 rear) , and even with Stability Control off, you pretty much have to play with the clutch to spin the tires. If I'm in 1st gear rolling at say 2500rpms, or even higher, and I floor it quickly, it doesn't break loose... At all... Even if I'm turning slightly...... It accelerates quickly, but it just doesn't have that quick burst of power that can break the tires loose. I understand the idea of being fast is to not spin, but I'm pretty sure even my 2012 would break them free much easier than the '21s I've driven. I've tried all the different driving modes, all with the same results.

Thanks for any info... Just hoping I'm not alone on this....

Maybe it's simply Whipple time
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Are you turning the advancetrac full off? You have to hold it for 10 seconds to do that. If you don't, your experience is pretty typical. These cars are incredibly planted and will fight hard to keep traction as well as yaw in check. And it does this by pulling timing and playing with the throttle to cut power directly.

There's also a dummy plug next to the airbox (or at least 2020MY and earlier have it). If you unplug it, it interrupts the nanny system and is truly off. If that doesn't get your tires burning, then I would think something is wrong.

OP
OP
B-Mitch

B-Mitch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Yes, I'm holding the button up for 8-10 seconds and it says advance Trac off. I've watched a bunch of vids now of people trying 0-60 runs and they all look just like mine. They chirp a few times as the clutch is let out quickly, but then it just revs out through the rest of first... And then it chirps a few times when shifting hard into second. My 0-60 times are on par with all of the videos (usually 5.0-5.4 with a few in the 4.8 range). Maybe these 275s are just grabbing better than I expected them to.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Sounds normal for a stock gt. Feels like it has to wind up before it makes good power. Slap an e85 tune on it and it's much easier to spin them.

OP
OP
B-Mitch

B-Mitch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I should've just Googled it first... Turns out it's a very common situation.... Here's an example
Screenshot_20210608-233823_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sponsored

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
When my car (17 GT) was stock on 235s it wouldnā€™t always break loose in first with all the nannies on. My kids loved it because it lunged when prodded in first. When I installed power pack 3, which is a power mod more than a low end torque one (405 ft-lbs vs 400 stock), it broke loose easily at low rpm. And FP advertised a huge amount of addl torque at low rpm. Makes me think itā€™s the tune intentionally holding back in stock form. Cars feel faster in test drives and are prob safer when they donā€™t spin as easily. Kill the nannies or tune it, but donā€™t worry, I think itā€™s by design, stock.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
Btw just because it wonā€™t spin at 2500 doesnā€™t mean it wonā€™t snap them loose at peak power.
That's for sure. Nobody is going anywhere at 2500 RPM. Get into 4000 and let us know how it goes. The Coyote wants to rev.

OP
OP
B-Mitch

B-Mitch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
When I say 2,500rpms, I just mean I floor it then and rev to 7k and it just straight grips and goes.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's the tyres. I find that the stock Michelins are like Super Glue. They never break loose. I've even floored it in second gear in a corner (albeit a mild one) on a wet road, and the car stayed on track as if it had been on rails.
With the winter tyres it would easily fishtail if I accelerated a bit too hard even on a dry road, let alone a wet one.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That's for sure. Nobody is going anywhere at 2500 RPM. Get into 4000 and let us know how it goes. The Coyote wants to rev.
On the dyno my car made 300ft/lbs to the tire at 2000RPM, these engines have torque, lol. They also just put it to the ground rather well.

I suppose OP's just got enough tire to tame the car.

Sponsored

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
It's a different car to drive compared to a Fox body that is for sure. It builds power over the RPM band vs. instant low end power like the Fox. As it winds past 5000 rpm that's when you start to feel yourself pushing back into the seat. My Fox bodies I'd be shifting at that point! I find it doesn't have as torquey a feel as the Fox bodies either but that's likely a weight thing.

Different car. It likes to rev and it's got a lot of safety features built in. The IRS also likely comes into play.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
When I say 2,500rpms, I just mean I floor it then and rev to 7k and it just straight grips and goes.
That's a good thing. If you're spinning, you're not winning.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
If weā€™re using tire spin to judge how strong a particular motor is Iā€™d say there are too many variables to get meaningful and consistent answers. Having said that, it sounds like something might be a little amiss with your car. Call me Captain obvious but you are running 93 octane, right?

We all know that the butt dyno is unreliable and subjective at best, but Iā€™ll say that my showroom stock ā€˜20 convertible pulls harder than any other dead stock car Iā€™ve ever driven. Well, except for a few that are made in Germany and start with a ā€œPā€. And my heavy convertible is an A10 with 3.15s and the much dissed PZero Neros, which BTW seem just fine to me.

I always do a dig in Dragstrip mode with TC off and ESC left on. Sometimes it spins so hard in first that you can feel it but cannot hear it. Mine will pitch a little sideways going into second and bark ā€˜em pretty good on 2-3. I havenā€™t found enough road around me yet to see what will happen on the 3-4 upshift. I do know mine will bump 7500 every time before shifting.

My frame of reference is the very fastest cars of the late ā€˜60s and none of them could stay within sight of this one in the quarter. It pulls like a freight train.

As I said, all of this is admittedly subjective but perhaps the best judge of power isnā€™t wheelspin alone. I hope you get it sorted out and can put your mind at ease.
Sponsored