Ford Performance Street Handling Pack has same sway bars as Base 18 GT

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
My accelerometer said 1.5g completely stock. I’m pretty sure the accelerometer is far away from the vehicle center of mass.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This is what most real-world cornering tends to look like. I'm showing a momentary peak of 0.91g somewhere in T4, but the average g's through that corner are somewhat less. Speed is being held pretty close to constant (bottom dotted line). It's the same story through T2 and T3.

T4 on this particular [unofficial] test loop of mine actually crests a gentle rise and is on the downslope at the location where peak lat-g was recorded. Aim Solo.

Here's what most real-world cornering looks like.jpg

Norm

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2020 Velocity Blue Mustang GT 10 Speed Auto Base Model (light weight baby)
Cliff's Notes answer to a rambling, stream-of-consciousness post . . .

As far as I know, your meter is displaying peak lat-g's. Magazine data is typically sustained, or averaged over a somewhat longer span of time or test circle arc. I'd guess that assuming a 10% difference between peak and sustained would not be excessive. And then there are effects due to slope (kind of likely in the mountains) that can exaggerate the meter readings over what they'd be on level ground.

Norm
Would be interesting to calculate the center of mass(gravity) of the mustang or centroid without uniform density. By symmetry, the center of mass of a solid sphere with uniform density must lie at its center. The center of mass of a car (with occupants) cannot be guessed so easily... The centroid is center of mass of a two-dimensional planar lamina or a three-dimensional solid, being the three dimensional solid the car in this case... without using a COG calculator ;) Estimation of Uncertain Vehicle Center of Gravity using Polynomial Chaos Expansions.

Yes, I do realize the physics of all this and that's a sustained average, and how slope (as well as other variables) comes into play which would alter these vectors, but my emphasis in this entire idiotic random stream of consciousness ramble on, is that a +2018 Base GT 10A has never been tested and you just can't assume it to be 0.83g based on its predecessor. Also, that the Street Pack is a waste of money on a +2018 Base GT, and that the most significant gain would be in just changing the tires alone.

I agree that running a slalom (sorta) in the mountains is unduly influenced by so many factors.
I just might have to perform a skidpad test myself on level smooth ground to get an average lateral acceleration figure by going to one of these street takeovers in LA ;) There's a few areas that have a 200 - 300 ft. diameter roundabouts that come to mind. Have to check on google earth and calculate to make sure... or just go to the track. I'll try to straddle the imaginary line;) and test clockwise and counterclockwise staying as smooth and clean as possible. I have an XT ultra-lap timer that I use as well (not just the peak indicator on the track apps). This is going to be interesting.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The center of mass of a car (with occupants) cannot be guessed so easily...
Actually, it's pretty easy if you accept the data in published road tests that include static weight distribution . . .

I'd be willing to assume that a +2018 Base GT 10A would be capable of not less than 0.83g. For more than 0.83g, either a test or at least comparative tire and suspension data would be needed. Anything else would be guessing.

There's a saying that goes something like "seat time, tires (and this may include wheels), everything else.

Norm

OlTexastang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 VB GT PP1
After reading all this I hope there isn’t a test cause I’m confused. I would think for a street setup and responsible driving a good set of shocks, springs, tires and some camber would handle what most people would want to throw at it without bouncing of the side of a mountain or worse someone else. If your autocrossing or doing road courses I would understand worrying about sway bars etc. then I would listen to what Norm or Brian or several other folks who are trying to share their knowledge and experience with you. when I’m pushing my car I’m not worried about what Car & Driver or any other publications or people say the car should do if it puts a smile on my face then that’s the true bottom line.

Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Assume the stereo is the center of mass and mount a cellphone there. Good data loggers can put some useful statistics on the traction circle.

26A401F4-233A-450A-8D70-E44B0D8EB8F6.png

Screenshot_20200930-063443_SoloStorm.jpg

Last edited:

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Actually, it's pretty easy if you accept the data in published road tests that include static weight distribution . . .
Norm
I was referring to doing it manually employing calculus... specifically integration and vector calculus. This would be a challenge... not using data or a COG calculator or anything... RAW! :)
After reading all this I hope there isn’t a test cause I’m confused. I would think for a street setup and responsible driving a good set of shocks, springs, tires and some camber would handle what most people would want to throw at it without bouncing of the side of a mountain or worse someone else. If your autocrossing or doing road courses I would understand worrying about sway bars etc. then I would listen to what Norm or Brian or several other folks who are trying to share their knowledge and experience with you. when I’m pushing my car I’m not worried about what Car & Driver or any other publications or people say the car should do if it puts a smile on my face then that’s the true bottom line.
This is about what is 'assumed' to be 0.83g from a test on a 2015. The +2018 BaseGT 10A was never tested and according to a few other people, the suspension is a bit better not to mention the brakes. I have quite a bit of knowledge and experience about this as well... aint' my first rodeo ;) I appreciate the input and I'm doing my own research on this particular vehicle. We have some beautifully newly paved road layouts (with some nice banking) here in the mountains that, for the seeking enthusiast, require skill in almost all areas of driving(especially when there's snow; LOL great for J-turns with less speed (easier with automatic) in the open flat parking lot areas), including drifting... no need to auto cross specifically. I'm willing to bet that the +2018 Base GT 10 A would be ~0.88 - 0.90 sustained average under similar testing conditions with stock wheels and that I agree, bumping to e.g., a square set of 19x10 Apex Wheels with appropriate tires, would raise the bar to at least 0.93 - 0.96g area.... I"m more than just a 'spirited driver' so, what I'm discussing here probably won't apply to most of the daily street drivers as you'd mentioned ;) My wife drives the car as well and I"m trying to find a happy medium between the perfomance I demand and her comfort. If I can't, then I'll probably get a 3rd vehicle which most likely will be a 2021 CTR (since I've driven a customized one numerous times already on the twisty banks out yonder) :p

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
This is about what is 'assumed' to be 0.83g from a test on a 2015. The +2018 BaseGT 10A was never tested and according to a few other people, the suspension is a bit better not to mention the brakes.
Brakes between 15-17 and 18-20 non-PP cars are exactly the same.

I have quite a bit of knowledge and experience about this as well... aint' my first rodeo ;)
Yes, it's very apparent you do.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Brakes between 15-17 and 18-20 non-PP cars are exactly the same.

Yes, it's very apparent you do.

Oh well... the S197 2014 w/o Brembos were 2 piston front calibers (can't find the exact data) and in 2015+ was 4 piston front calibers...

as for rotors...
FrontRear
1979-1993 (Note: Drum Brake)10"
1994-1998 GT & V610.84"10.5"
1994-1998 Cobra13"11.65"
1999-2004 Cobra13"11.65"
2005-2014 w/o Brembos12.4"11.8"
2015-2018 GT13.9"13"
2015-2018 EcoBoost12.6"12.6"
2015-2018 EcoBoost Performance Pack13.9"12.6"

but my main emphasis is on the suspension; was merely guessing on the brakes but I knew somewhere around 2015 there was a change... can't remember everything exactly at my age ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: