Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter GT350/GT350R

08fordgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2016 shelby gt350 race red
I was wondering if i was the only person thats seen this or if nobody cares? I stumbled upon it like 3 days ago but havent seen anything on here about it. I know everybody loves the MGW but this has a 16% decrease in shift throw vs 10%. It also retains the lift reverse lockout. It gets rid of the plastic shift pivot ball/uses a metal one, but the design keeps the pengillum linkage. Thoughts...

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-per...hifter-kit-gt350-gt350r-2015-2017/p/M7210M8A/
Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter GT350:GT350R.png

Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter Kit for 2015, 2016 and 2017 GT350 and GT350R Mustangs with a Manual Transmission.
Are you looking for a way to improve your new 2015-2017 GT350 or GT350R Mustang's reaction time? Consider upgrading your shifter using this premium Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter Kit, now available to purchase here at CJ Pony Parts!

Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter Features and Benefits:
- Provides approximately 16% reduction in throw
- Compatible with factory GT350 and aftermarket shift knobs that are designed to retain the pull-up style reverse lockout and feature 10mmx1.25mm thread pitch
- Retains back-up camera function
- Increased driver feel and feedback during shifting
- Includes all install hardware
- Proudly made in the U.S.A.

This premium Ford Performance kit includes everything you'll need to modify the length of your new pony's shifter. You'll feel smoother and more consistent gear changes with this shorter shifter, meaning you'll have better feel and feedback when driving down short stretches or on long weekend cruises. The included instructions will walk you all the way through this permanent modification, but rest assured that each and every direct-fit piece Ford Performance includes will be top-quality and durable enough to last for years to come. Upgrade your shifter today with this kit from CJ's!

Short Throw Shifter Kit Includes:
- Reduced throw shifter lever
- Thread locking compound
- Installation instructions
- Reverse lockout sleeve
- Shift knob jamb nut
- Grease

*This short throw shifter kit will only fit GT350 and GT350R model Mustangs--will not fit V6, EcoBoost or GT models.

*Shift knob must be purchased separately or retain original factory knob for use with this kit.
Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Wow! Almost as much as a Steeda or MGW full race shifter..but it's only the lever.

OP
OP

08fordgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Looks like a lot less of an install. No dropping the trans.

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
"Retains backup camera function"

Is that lost with the MGW?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-per...hifter-kit-gt350-gt350r-2015-2017/p/M7210M8A/

I was wondering if i was the only person thats seen this or if nobody cares? I stumbled upon it like 3 days ago but havent seen anything on here about it. I know everybody loves the MGW but this has a 16% decrease in shift throw vs 10%. It also retains the lift reverse lockout. It gets rid of the plastic shift pivot ball/uses a metal one, but the design keeps the pengillum linkage. Thoughts...
I figured FPP would come out with a modified stocker and they didn't surprise me at all.

First - don't get tripped up on throw. Some assume that a higher throw reduction number equals a better shifter. That couldn't be further from the truth. Almost any transmission will get "notchier" or harder to shift as you decrease leverage. George from MGW is cognizant of this and as such is very careful when choosing shifter throw.

Second - the factory "collar - style" reverse lockout is far from robust and is a contributor to rattle/noise issues (some aftermarket companies that chose to retain this design are suffering the same fate). The O-rings and lubricant make for a light feel when the system works but are failure prone and lead to eventual NVH issues.

Replacing the composite sphere with a steel one is an improvement but you are still using a plastic cage or race around it. The material wears, compresses, and takes a set, especially in a high heat environment. In essence the unit only gets sloppier with time and use and is far from precise.

The pendulum architecture is sufficient for production and favorable due to its low production cost. That said, it is far from optimum in terms of linearity or precision.

Wow! Almost as much as a Steeda or MGW full race shifter..but it's only the lever.
There you have it. This is a horrible buy with respect to actual content. You are getting very little for what you pay for. In the end you have a hybrid production-style, pendulum swung, compromise. It should retail for about $99 in your local Harbor Freight catalog.

Looks like a lot less of an install. No dropping the trans.
To clarify, installing an MGW requires removing the crossmember under the rear of the transmission. This gives you room to work (and would no doubt help with the FPP install as well). Some equate "drop" with "unbolt, lower, and remove" which is not the case.

You have to futz with disassembling and then reassembling the factory shifter with it in place whereas with the MGW you disassemble/remove the factory shifter and then replace it with the MGW. A different procedure with the MGW but you are getting a heck of a lot more content, ripe with precision.

I expect others in the aftermarket to do what FPP has done here. Replace a few parts, change the ratio, and charge a pretty penny. My suggestion - don't fall for it.

"Retains backup camera function"

Is that lost with the MGW?
Nope. The MGW shifter retains the factory camera setup 100%. This is internal to the transmission and has nothing to do with changing the shifter that is bolted to it.

Sponsored

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have Seen it for sale for $250.00 it will not be out till the end of the month

Jack

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I got to try the prototype one in the GT350 at the American Muscle show earlier this year and it felt really good. Price...not so much.

Last edited:
OP
OP

08fordgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
I just wanted to inform everybody. Not bias either way. I just surf the internet all day looking for stuff. I'm still waiting on fpp to drop their 90 and more importantly 100mm throttle body and I'll get my intake manifold ported and a cai and tune. But I'll definitely be buying a shifter before I get home from my deployment but still waiting on more options.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
It's crap like this that annoys the hell out of me about ford performance. Almost a year ago they mentioned parts for the GT350. Many people like the OEM type appeal of ford performance but the wait and products sometimes suck. This shifter is a perfect example. $300+ dollars for a handle! Please. Why?
MGW completely redesigned a work of art for more money sure, but it's worlds better too! If anyone waits for ford performance to bring to market "performance parts" is a fool. The aftermarket is usually a way better option.
Sometimes I feel like ford performance mentions parts just to give people faulse hopes and have them wait for products to come to market. It doesn't take a year to make a larger throttle body, springs, shifter, etc. as on now the GT350 has oil catch cans, shifter handle, and borla made and design exhaust from ford performance parts. The rear seat delete is a production part pull.

Thank god for people like ARH, KOOKS, borla, MGW, Lund, ETC.

OP
OP

08fordgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
I think that when fp makes upgrade parts like throttle bodies it helps inspire aftermarket companies to do the same. So better parts come out to compete with them. So if it's fp, Accufab, or bbk, bigger better throttle bodies hopefully will come to market. The more shifter options the better.

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I think that when fp makes upgrade parts like throttle bodies it helps inspire aftermarket companies to do the same. So better parts come out to compete with them. So if it's fp, Accufab, or bbk, bigger better throttle bodies hopefully will come to market. The more shifter options the better.
Yeah well, FP hasn't made the throttle body yet and nothing has happened period. And nobody's gonna top MGW's shifter. All FP did with this shifter is change the pivot point. It's still a stock China made shifter.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I just wanted to inform everybody. Not bias either way. I just surf the internet all day looking for stuff. I'm still waiting on fpp to drop their 90 and more importantly 100mm throttle body and I'll get my intake manifold ported and a cai and tune. But I'll definitely be buying a shifter before I get home from my deployment but still waiting on more options.
Do yourself a favor and get the MGW.

OP
OP

08fordgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to wait to see my options. My original plan is to keep the stock pull up ring to appear stock other than the alcantera shift boot/e-brake handle and center console lid but I may change my mind. I still have three more months till I get home.

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
MGW hands down - I looked at the Ford Racing shifter for the MT82 over a year ago, and it's a piece of junk, the same way that the stock shifter is a piece of junk...the pull up reverse lockout reminds me of my 2001 FOCUS - junk.

If you really want to retain the stock reverse lockout, the newest barton looks very similar to an MGW...
Sponsored