Sponsored

Ford Performance Power Pack Calibration Questions

FilipV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW i3
When you load it into the ProCal software, ready to flash the vehicle, there is a ‘description’ field in the header (between the two gauges). Mine reads something like “Euro stage 6.1, s550, 2017 Mustang R6”. I was expecting it o include ‘PP1’ or similar. I’m hoping Ford Performance haven’t misunderstood me and just sent the standard stock tune file!
Maybe worth asking in US section. Surely more people have it installed there.
I'm about to order PP1 so would be good to know that everything is as it should be
Sponsored

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Maybe worth asking in US section. Surely more people have it installed there.
I'm about to order PP1 so would be good to know that everything is as it should be
This is the US section!

From what I’ve seen, the US tunes state ‘PP1’ in the description section in the ProCal software. I’m sure the Euro ones will be different, but thought there would be some reference to the power upgrade. Maybe it’s the .1 after the 6?

Let me know how you get on with yours, are you thinking of buying directly from ford?

FilipV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW i3
This is the US section!
Shit, sorry
Let me know how you get on with yours, are you thinking of buying directly from ford?
Going to call dealer tomorrow. If they can match online price I'll buy from them and ask to install it straight away.

Let me know what Ford Performance answer is, please.

FilipV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW i3
Update.
TC Harrison Peterborough would charge me £160 for an installation so not too bad to keep warranty intact.

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Shit, sorry

Going to call dealer tomorrow. If they can match online price I'll buy from them and ask to install it straight away.

Let me know what Ford Performance answer is, please.
I haven't been able to get in touch with Ford Performance via their chat since early yesterday evening! It appears to be down. I asked them to confirm my tune, but mistakenly gave them the code from the stock tune. By the time I'd found the ID for the updated tune, the online chat function had stopped working! How frustrating. £160 seems a lot for a job that should take under an hour (if it all works). Is worth it for warranty, though I can't see how the same kit installed at home could void the warranty, unless Ford could prove you'd done something wrong with the install that directly caused an issue with the vehicle.

Assuming you do go down this route, I'd be interested if they could tell you their method for installing the software. i.e is it just as you would do at home via the Ford Performance website? Also, would be good to know if they hand over the ProCal tool and your voucher code so you could remove at a later date if you wanted to.

Keep us posted

Sponsored

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I haven't been able to get in touch with Ford Performance via their chat since early yesterday evening! It appears to be down.
Update...

The issue with chat was due to the clock on my computer! As the chat function is time specific, it goes off your own computer's clock, therefore there was a narrow window of Ford Performance been open for business and my computer thinking it was still business hours where I could get in touch. The solution was just to change the time zone on my laptop!

Spoke in depth to an operator there who was able to assure me that I had been sent the correct calibration by the calibration software ID ProCal was displaying. I've been on a longer drive in the car today and it is showing characteristics of the updated calibration so I'm satisfied all is well.

FilipV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW i3
Update...

The issue with chat was due to the clock on my computer! As the chat function is time specific, it goes off your own computer's clock, therefore there was a narrow window of Ford Performance been open for business and my computer thinking it was still business hours where I could get in touch. The solution was just to change the time zone on my laptop!

Spoke in depth to an operator there who was able to assure me that I had been sent the correct calibration by the calibration software ID ProCal was displaying. I've been on a longer drive in the car today and it is showing characteristics of the updated calibration so I'm satisfied all is well.
Are shift points in D any higher under low load? Are they firmer in S? Is throttle more linear in S? Forgive me all these questions but these are the things I would like to change

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Shift patterns in D are very slightly higher. You might notice it most from 1-2, and a slight increase in firmness, but nothing that makes it uncomfortable. It will also be more keen to downshift at motorway speeds too, but I don’t see this an issue. Having driven the car with the calibration on for a week, I barely notice the difference in shifts from stock. This is a stark contrast to the Dreamscience/SCT tune I’d previously tried that had me cringing at each shift!

I can’t see that the throttle response is any different, just that the car pulls harder from about 1.5k to 4k. It feels more direct. Ive not driven enough in S yet, but so far it feels like all these differences transfer proportionally if that makes sense.

You might not experience the ‘night and day’ differences that some people claim. I already had a K&N filter in before the tune so, if you believe the dynos, I was almost half way there with the extra power, hence it might not have been as noticeable to me.

I’m glad I eventually went with the FP tune because it seems to be the only one that keeps shift points sensible for auto drivers. It also seems to be the only one that maintains rev matching in the downshifts. You definitely would notice that when it’s gone! I think the other aftermarket tunes create an illusion of more power by increasing the the shift points and pressures, but you’d soon get tired of that - especially if yours is a daily?

Hope that helps.
Sponsored