Sponsored

Ford Performance Power Pack 1 Tune issue, looking for feedback

Eljay52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium, MT, Ford racing x-pipe Roush Phase 2.
Does it drop fast if you brake? Anyone with Automatic with any similar situations?
What I usually experience is letting off the gas in third gear around 4K intending to let the engine braking slow me before stepping on the brake. When the rpm's reach 3K it just hangs there for a few seconds. If I wait and do nothing after a few seconds then the rpm's drop. I'll be interested to see what FP tech support says about this. I'll post what they tell me.
Sponsored

Eljay52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
I spoke with a Ford Performance tech just now. I explained the issue. He checked with other techs and said they haven't had any other reports of these problems. He said the PP1 tune "doesn't touch that dash pot." He suggested that I prove it to myself by restoring the stock tune temporarily. Not sure if I want to do this right now. He did ask me if I put the clutch in when this happens and if that fixed the issue. I told him I don't put the clutch in because I want the engine braking to slow the car down before I step on the brake. He had no response to this.
What do you guys think?

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
my friend called tech line as well, not any answers of solution, the stock tune DOES NOT do this, the car feels great but it feels a bit erratic and jumpy with this stupid 3k engine hold feature, this really annoys us all and it would be nice if Ford Performance asks the engineers to provide a clear answer if this in intentional or a map glitch with the throttle

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
What I usually experience is letting off the gas in third gear around 4K intending to let the engine braking slow me before stepping on the brake. When the rpm's reach 3K it just hangs there for a few seconds. If I wait and do nothing after a few seconds then the rpm's drop. I'll be interested to see what FP tech support says about this. I'll post what they tell me.
yes engine braking is weird now with the 3k rpm hang up, so strange

Sponsored

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
I don't have this issue on my stock tune GT. M6, performance pack
exactly the stock tune does not do this , my car is stock my friends is not, both PP GT, he is very annoyed and might ask for a refund, i don't blame him it just doesn't feel right by any standard. i see no purpose in the tune for any performance gain to have the engine RPM stick like this, total nonsense and if you drive the car hard on local side roads it actually lunges and can be a hazard.

Sponsored

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
I tested this out today in my car and could not find any rev hang like you describe. Ran through the gears hard and soft the let it come down from 4k to 2k with no hang, in 4th and down shifted to 3rd same 4k to 2k no hang, pulled through 3rd only and let it come down no hang. Did 3.5k downs and up to 5.5k downs, nothing. Tried in other gears too with no hangs so I would say that there is something wrong causing this because my needle sweep smooth and constant all the way down, and yes I do have the PP1. I would start with reloading the stock tune and test. If it is still there it isn't the tune, if it isn't there i would then try a re-download of the tune and then put it back on and see if that fixes it. Best of luck

Eljay52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Rustang. Maybe I'll try this over the weekend. It would be nice to make this go away.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Roush tune does the same thing. In Sport mode the rpms drop slow as molasses once you let off the gas. My guess is to keep the rpms high for the rapid, on-demand torque. It's actually quiet nice during hard driving because you remain in the power band basically until you start braking. It's easy to forget sometimes and surprise yourself when you step on the gas after a hard accel. Many times I have slammed my wife's head back into the seat with the instant throttle response and horsepower because even though my foot has been off the throttle for 5 seconds and I've been slowing down, the rpms are still hovering around 5000 like they are waiting for me to engage again, and the kick is substantial and unexpected. It does make the car feel angry and alert and I love the lack of hesitation. It can be annoying when you're just driving around town though, since even if you're sub 45mph, the revs like to hang out around 4k and you sound like you're hauling ass everywhere. For this reason I sometimes switch to Drive just to avoid that. None of this stuff seems to occur in D.

Kennocha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Grabber Blue GTPP
On my stock 17 GTPP, when I up shift, the RPM's do hang, typically around the engagement point for the next gear. I always just assumed it was there for a revmatch type assist on up shifts.

If I am skipping gears I always just wait a second for it to drop off.

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
Interesting. Wouldn't want that feature auto crossing. Maybe it's part of the "flat-shift" feature?
Sponsored