Ford Performance 5.0L / 5.2L Hi-Energy Ignition Coils

Einstein_nikola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sir Galahad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
you can't as it is only for the dates mid 2016 to 2017... I believe it is something with a coil pack shape closest to firewall on passenger side... The connectors are not compatible between the 5.0 coil packs and 5.2 coil packs on GT500; that is why you have to swap them out...
Ahhh so the only ones I could get are the OEM 30MJ coil packs? I really wanted the 50Mj coil packs but I guess I can't since mine is from 2015🤧
Sponsored

OP
OP
GEBRONI

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ahhh so the only ones I could get are the OEM 30MJ coil packs? I really wanted the 50Mj coil packs but I guess I can't since mine is from 2015🤧
That is my understanding... The coil pack size I mention is difference between 2018+... I think 2015-mid 2016 maybe something to due with the hardware or stock tune... I am sure if you Google can get the correct answer why not compatible...

Einstein_nikola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sir Galahad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
That is my understanding... The coil pack size I mention is difference between 2018+... I think 2015-mid 2016 maybe something to due with the hardware or stock tune... I am sure if you Google can get the correct answer why not compatible...
Yeah Im right now fbo with a cj on e85 so stock tune wont affect me i assume. Ill ask alex from lund tune maybe he knows cuz Google aint giving me anything😭

OP
OP
GEBRONI

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah Im right now fbo with a cj on e85 so stock tune wont affect me i assume. Ill ask alex from lund tune maybe he knows cuz Google aint giving me anything😭
Oh noice! Let me try and find it again... Checking Ford Performance... I know the stronger spark is to avoid blowout for force induction but the gap on plugs is not as far apart for N/A so who knows why they did these coil packs for the GT500...

OP
OP
GEBRONI

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Due to a manufacturing change in the factory coil pack wiring harness, these will not fit GT Mustangs, 5.0L F-150s, or 5.0L crate engines with a build date of 2/24/16 or earlier. Gen 3 Coyote equipped vehicles, such as 2018-2021 GT Mustangs and 2018-2020 5.0L F-150s, are also incompatible.

Sponsored

Einstein_nikola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sir Galahad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Due to a manufacturing change in the factory coil pack wiring harness, these will not fit GT Mustangs, 5.0L F-150s, or 5.0L crate engines with a build date of 2/24/16 or earlier. Gen 3 Coyote equipped vehicles, such as 2018-2021 GT Mustangs and 2018-2020 5.0L F-150s, are also incompatible.
So in theory if I just go the route you went with swapping each wiring connector, it should work no?🤷‍♂️😂

OP
OP
GEBRONI

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So in theory if I just go the route you went with swapping each wiring connector, it should work no?🤷‍♂️😂
I am guessing the leads for the coil packs are different... In the instructions there are two leads/pins for each coil pack cable that has to be removed and put on the adapter that plugs in the new coils... The release and locking mechanism and leads can be complete different; that is my only guess... maybe email Ford performance and ask... You can down load the instructions here for illustration of what I am talking about: https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-12029-M52.PDF

Einstein_nikola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sir Galahad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I am guessing the leads for the coil packs are different... In the instructions there are two leads/pins for each coil pack cable that has to be removed and put on the adapter that plugs in the new coils... The release and locking mechanism and leads can be complete different; that is my only guess... maybe email Ford performance and ask... You can down load the instructions here for illustration of what I am talking about: https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-12029-M52.PDF
So i talked to alex from lund raci
Heres what alex said from lund racing when I ask if its worth upgrading from the stock 33mj coils to the gt500 50mj coils and he said "No 0 benefit keep the stock ones. our 7sec cars have stock coils" so that sums everything up. Thanks for going out your way to check for compatibility tho😎😎

OP
OP
GEBRONI

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So i talked to alex from lund raci

Heres what alex said from lund racing when I ask if its worth upgrading from the stock 33mj coils to the gt500 50mj coils and he said "No 0 benefit keep the stock ones. our 7sec cars have stock coils" so that sums everything up. Thanks for going out your way to check for compatibility tho😎😎
Yeah that is what everyone says since they are running stock coil packs with NA and force induction and having great results... Be cool if someone actually tested on NA application especially with a Cobra jet intake ;-)

96MUSTANG06

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustang6g.com
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yeah that is what everyone says since they are running stock coil packs with NA and force induction and having great results... Be cool if someone actually tested on NA application especially with a Cobra jet intake ;-)
Im FBO with CAMs and heads. Ive got a 2016 mustang but with a build date of late 2015. What was the final word on these coils? Is it simply the connectors or is there another issue trying to retrofit? I could use a bit more spark since Im running E85 for better start and idle.

Sponsored

Einstein_nikola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sir Galahad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Im FBO with CAMs and heads. Ive got a 2016 mustang but with a build date of late 2015. What was the final word on these coils? Is it simply the connectors or is there another issue trying to retrofit? I could use a bit more spark since Im running E85 for better start and idle.
since you got heads and cams how much do you put dowm if you mind me asking ? A friend put down 513rwhp with Cams CJ fbo on e85 , would heads take you to 525rwhp?

OP
OP
GEBRONI

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
something else, Ford Performance was not specific on why it is not compatible... All I know is for mine manufactured mid 2016-2017 model I needed to swap out the connectors in the spark plugs harness for it to work... This swap is removing just the pins from the plastic connectors in stock... So it could be even the pins are not compatible, again they were not specific on why.

Einstein_nikola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sir Galahad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
something else, Ford Performance was not specific on why it is not compatible... All I know is for mine manufactured mid 2016-2017 model I needed to swap out the connectors in the spark plugs harness for it to work... This swap is removing just the pins from the plastic connectors in stock... So it could be even the pins are not compatible, again they were not specific on why.
I called ford performance and they said its because the connector that connect are completely different that you would habe to swap out the entire harness out😅 so they said just stick with the stock ones, their 1400hp cobra jet has the stock 5.0 coil packs, he said ill be fine lol and for anyone else you'll also be okay lol

96MUSTANG06

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustang6g.com
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thank you! I may need to give them a ring and see if it can be done. Extra spark on E85 could make things a lot easier on cold mornings.

96MUSTANG06

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustang6g.com
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I called ford performance and they said its because the connector that connect are completely different that you would habe to swap out the entire harness out😅 so they said just stick with the stock ones, their 1400hp cobra jet has the stock 5.0 coil packs, he said ill be fine lol and for anyone else you'll also be okay lol
Ok got it. Im not about to swap the harness. Looks like Im sticking with stock which makes me sad lol
Sponsored