OP
OP
Falc'man

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Spoiled for choice. Devastating isn't it.
Sponsored

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
I don't think it will have a great effect. The reality is companies like Ford are realizing they can use modern manufacturing to tailor cars to every niche whereas companies like Toyota try to just shoehorn the Camry into every driveway.

B-Fox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
F-350 Scorpion
I would take the RS over the ecoboost Mustang hands down on performance and capability, but the price point will likely line it up against a nice GT 5.0L. At that point, the decision gets difficult for me.

Toyotas "bold moves" ad campaign makes me cringe, it's absolute crap that they're trying to sling boring cars as exciting.

Last edited:

JoeySD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
16' BMW M2, 6MT, Long Beach Blue Metalic
Loving the aggressive and sporty front end, looks modern and sleek. I like the new matte black interior and that awesome flat bottom steering wheel.
IMG_2173.JPG
IMG_2172.JPG
IMG_2171.JPG

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Great releases from Ford lately! Wonder if the RS will hurt ecoboost Mustang sales? If I had to choose I would have to pick the RS over the eco mustang :shrug:
I would get a RS if it was the same price as the Ecoboost Mustang, but it won't be. If I wanted to spend the money that a GT costs I would have bought a GT. ;)

Sponsored

genericuser1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 M3 convertible
I would get a RS if it was the same price as the Ecoboost Mustang, but it won't be. If I wanted to spend the money that a GT costs I would have bought a GT. ;)
A GT optioned how I'd want it is $44k, Pretty sure I can get a Ford Performance Parts tuned Focus RS for less.

I'm expecting about 3,475 lbs and 350 hp stock, probably $36k. This isn't the same motor in the Ecoboost Mustang. Different turbo, cylinder sleeves and free flowing exhaust means the boost is getting turned up.

By the time I'd get done with it from Ford or aftermarket it would be pushing 400-450 at the crank. At that point the GT isn't going to stand a chance.

I love what Ford is going, Focus RS, GT 350, new Raptor, probably a Fiesta RS, they are knocking it out of the park!

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
A GT optioned how I'd want it is $44k, Pretty sure I can get a Ford Performance Parts tuned Focus RS for less.

I'm expecting about 3,475 lbs and 350 hp stock, probably $36k. This isn't the same motor in the Ecoboost Mustang. Different turbo, cylinder sleeves and free flowing exhaust means the boost is getting turned up.

By the time I'd get done with it from Ford or aftermarket it would be pushing 400-450 at the crank. At that point the GT isn't going to stand a chance.

I love what Ford is going, Focus RS, GT 350, new Raptor, probably a Fiesta RS, they are knocking it out of the park!

Not sure how much you've been following the development on the Ecoboost Mustang, but you won't make those numbers without fuel system upgrades and those don't exist yet.

The turbo isn't completely different, just a different compressor, still going to need a bigger turbo for big power and the block sleeves are not going to be the weak link either.

Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome car, but to beat GTs you'll be spending more that what a GT costs, not true with the Ecoboost Mustang.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

That $44k-optioned Mustang is probably $37-38k sitting on a dealer lot. My local dealer is cutting over $5,000 off MSRP, you won't see those kind of deals on the Focus RS. I'm betting over $40k MSRP with a likely ADM in most areas.

genericuser1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 M3 convertible
That $44k-optioned Mustang is probably $37-38k sitting on a dealer lot. My local dealer is cutting over $5,000 off MSRP, you won't see those kind of deals on the Focus RS. I'm betting over $40k MSRP with a likely ADM in most areas.
Hopefully we will know soon enough.

The combination of lighter weight and AWD will mean most won't need to turn up the boost that much.

Adding new fuel rails and injectors wouldn't be difficult once the aftermarket gets going. Betting this will get as much of an aftermarket as the STI and Evo in time if Ford does a good job.

That's assuming Ford hasn't upgraded any of these components already in the stock RS.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

The combination of lighter weight and AWD will mean most won't need to turn up the boost that much.

Adding new fuel rails and injectors wouldn't be difficult once the aftermarket gets going. Betting this will get as much of an aftermarket as the STI and Evo in time if Ford does a good job.

That's assuming Ford hasn't upgraded any of these components already in the stock RS.

I think it will be lighter weight, however I wouldn't be surprised at all if the AWD Focus RS is 3,500+lbs which would close the PTW ratio considerably. Aftermarket DI injectors aren't a big market at least that I've seen.

Mod wise dollar for dollar I think they'll still be very close, especially if the RS is more expensive than a base GT. As an only car though it definitely makes sense.

Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP

Fuel rails and injectors won't be the problem. The high pressure fuel pump is likely to be the limiting factor and not so easily replaced.

I'm hoping the RS does great, it'll help the aftermarket for the Eco Mustang too. But just be prepared for it to be slow. DI introduces a whole new set of headaches.

genericuser1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 M3 convertible
Fuel rails and injectors won't be the problem. The high pressure fuel pump is likely to be the limiting factor and not so easily replaced.

I'm hoping the RS does great, it'll help the aftermarket for the Eco Mustang too. But just be prepared for it to be slow. DI introduces a whole new set of headaches.
True I am probably getting ahead of myself but I have wanted an American manufacturer to compete against the Evo and STI for years. Even wrote to Ford about it over 5 years ago and just excited they are actually doing it.

:ford:

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
True I am probably getting ahead of myself but I have wanted an American manufacturer to compete against the Evo and STI for years. Even wrote to Ford about it over 5 years ago and just excited they are actually doing it.

:ford:
No problem with being excited for something. I'm excited for it even if I'm not getting one! (maybe someday though) :)

Hockeypucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST
I asked Chirs to do some shops for me via private message and he posted the above pics. I like what he's done over in the photoshop thread so I wanted to see the RS in a few different colors, even though Ford is only making the car in 4 colors.

I'm heavily leaning towards waiting for the RS over a Mustang. 4 season bliss in this car and it'll be very rare. As great as the Mustang is I see no less than 30 a day (granted, I'm a driver so I see thousands of cars a day). I'm not worried about price since I talked to someone inside Ford about this and he said it'll be priced similarly to the Golf R which starts at just under 37k.

Some may see this as a lot of money for "just a Focus" but this car will be an absolute beast. There are talks of 0-60 times in the 4.5 range. Also has launch control, which is highly appealing the more I read about it.

It's really just come down to "do I want that V8" or AWD. Can't afford both so I'm leaning towards the more rare, outstanding handling car. Plus I've owned a Focus ST so I already feel close to this car. Dream combination would be the RS and a GT350 ha.
Sponsored