RDS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hello all

for various reasons I decided to purchase the extended service plan for my 5.0 Mustang. I thought that the clue was in the name ie you pay monthly so as to cover the cost of the eventual service each year.

Apparently that is not so: the latest annual service comprised an oil/filter change and not much more else (the rest are checks) BUT I was told at the main dealer that the brake fluid ought to be changed changed every three years and the aircon serviced....at a not inconsiderable extra cost.

And here is my irritation: if those items are to be changed at a periodic interval, then to me that's servicing and therefore to be included in the (not cheap) monthly pre-payment. But no, the main dealer said; "that's maintenance" so you have to pay extra.....

I think that is a distinction without a difference and calls into question why anyone would buy the service package in the first place if it didn't cover such periodic things.

Now, you might say that it's my own fault for not reading the original agreement. Well, I did and it was not clear so I asked for a definitive list of items for each service, it didn't arrive. So I asked again and got......nothing of any use. I called head office yesterday and was promised a list immediately and.....still nothing. Sure, there are "guides" on the internet, but a guide is not definitive, it is just an indication.

As an aside I was told that I needed the plugs changing and then that was withdrawn as a "mistake" and I was almost given a reduction, and that was withdrawn as the another staff member had "accidentally" inflated the bill, so that my reduction was in effect a reinstatement of the original sum. Rather disappointing professionally I think.

The moral is that these plans are at best partial and incomplete: I await to see whether coolant change is or is not included in the monthly pre-payment........anyone have any different outcomes with the brake fluid or know re the coolant?

Was I made to feel valued whilst at the main dealer? No. not really.

All in all, I am irritated by the approach by the main dealer: this does nothing to dispel the feeling among even the non-car enthusiast that the industry is out to chisel punters at every turn.....
Sponsored

MarkM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
No surprises there, main dealers (most) are utter robbing scumbags who are only interested in servicing hatchbacks for little old ladies they can rob.
Good Indy every time, cancel the plan and have your car looked after properly imo

OP
OP

RDS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Not sure even they exist: my friend swore by his Porsche independent.......until he failed to keep his side of a bargain........

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
They didn't even make me feel valued when I bought the thing. I've only been back twice, once for the first MOT and second for the oil cooler failure and both times were terrible experiences. All they want is your money, other than that you're just a burden.

OP
OP

RDS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Blimey, I didn't realise this was so widespread. I thought the industry had shed its Arthur Daley image??
The bod behind the desk was more interested in telling another colleague about his "very English experience at Southend at the weekend" (no hint of irony from said bod)...."yeah i had the BIGGEST hamburger ever". This was interrupted by a perturbed bruiser of a Master Technician charging through the public area exclaiming to no-one in particular "that customer's a f*cking w*nker"......maybe he meant me? If so, good.

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
yeah sadly true on all accounts re Ford dealerships, they just aint got a clue of anything other than spinning filters from cars. As for their so Master Technicians , there's an oxymoron for sure

OP
OP

RDS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I think you picked up on my suspicion there.

I'm told by a neighbour that when he visits his Mercedes dealership, they fawn all over him; I suppose there is a mark up for that but all the parts are always on hand for his needs and nothing is too much trouble.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
My local Audi dealer was always amazing, they would give me free courtesy cars and a free valet.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Blimey, I didn't realise this was so widespread. I thought the industry had shed its Arthur Daley image??
The bod behind the desk was more interested in telling another colleague about his "very English experience at Southend at the weekend" (no hint of irony from said bod)...."yeah i had the BIGGEST hamburger ever". This was interrupted by a perturbed bruiser of a Master Technician charging through the public area exclaiming to no-one in particular "that customer's a f*cking w*nker"......maybe he meant me? If so, good.
When I took my car in for the oil cooler failure all they kept saying was my warranty would be void due to the mods. Obviously it wasn't because the oil cooler failure was a common fault across almost all the 2016 and 2017 rhd GTs

OP
OP

RDS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
that sort of attitude has made me hold off fitting the oil catch can! didn't know about the oil cooler issue.

Valet? oh yes, they offered to wash it but I politely declined (having seen what a dropped sponge can do and having washed and waxed it myself the day before), asking instead that they just do the wheels. Naturally no wheels cleaned.....pathetic

What else? oh they offered to drive the car back to me. No chance: I accepted a similar kindness once before elsewhere on another car and they (that different garage) crashed it.

On looking through the documentation the Digital Service Record was not brought up to date nor the oil interval re-set by the same lot last year.

Is this all too much to ask for?

Do let me know, fairly, because they have just sent me a "how did we do?" email.....

Last edited:

Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer has to prove what you've modified has caused the fault, which is quite difficult to do.

Ford tried to return my car after the oil cooler was replaced still dripping with oil, they hadn't even cleaned it.

I gave them a bad review when they asked. I got a missed call from them and then never heard back.

OP
OP

RDS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I think the dealer will spin it to say, prove that your work didn't affect the failure.

Just heard back after chasing the garage and head office: the missing DSR record cannot be changed that easily but they are looking into it and may have to do it on hard copy only - so it is not a digital, digital service record. We'll have to see.

As for the service schedule: they say they do not know what Ford recommend: changing brake fluid, coolant and diff oil are "down to customer preference but we recommend brake fluid is changed every 18 months and it is not part of the service package". I call that rather a waste of time having the service plan.

So, i'm paying a packet for someone else to do the easiest jobs on the car and have to pay a lot more for other jobs that a car needs periodically. Why not add another charge for "fairy dust applied to secret areas"?

For Pete and Dud fans out there, anyone recalling the phone extension sketch will appreciate the seamless transfers between numerous departments which I "enjoyed" today too.....[I'd link it to youtube but cannot now find it - anyone? - it'd ease my irritation]

MarkM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Brake fluid every 18 months!!!??? That’s a nice little earner for them.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I could not imagine going to a Ford dealer. My purchase was so lousy I never want to go back. GT101 does my service and logs it in the Ford system for me.

OP
OP

RDS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'll check the brake fluid and aircon costs. The thing about brake fluid change is that they can do it 5 times quicker than I can, and with less swearing.

GT101: where located? How does GT101 register the activity on DSR?

Dealer has asked central department to update my DSR.
Sponsored