Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
In the UK, there's an annual tax (Road Fund License) and that is based on Co2 emissions.

The loophole at the moment is that imported cars have a low limit (I pay £220) whereas a similar car, say a big engined Merc or BMW, will pay £450). Not a massive difference, but it all adds up over the lifetime of the car.
Sponsored

OP
OP

stangray11

Interesting, that's not much of a loophole at all. With the tax based on CO2 emissions wouldnt something like the GT500 pretty much price out most people there?

OP
OP

JackHoya

People have been purchasing through the gray market there for years to avoid the import tax and VAT, or so I hear...

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Import tax and VAT cannot be avoided, I'm afraid.

Classics/historic vehicles have a lower import tax though.

z928

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Mustang
Twin Turbo- How much the road tax & insurance cost you per year for the Mustang GT? Is the road tax base on you car capacity(CC)?

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Insurance is normally around £400-450, although that's limited to 3000 miles per year. But as mine is just a sunny weekend toy, that's fine.

I'm also 42 and live in a good area, which helps keep the premium down.

UK road tax is based on C02 (it used to be based on the cubic capacity). There are several bands, with the lowest actually not paying any tax (think Prious!) whilst big capacity engines can pay up to £450/year.

The Mustang is rated at £220 purely as there is no data to proof what it's Co2 output is (as Ford have never officially sold it here, so it's not tested). I guess they just make us pay a medium figure.

:)

OP
OP

KZStang

It's true. While this is a huge European rollout for Ford, they do already sell in many other countries. It's good to know the opinions and preferences of US consumers are still #1 for them.
Ford has already said they dont expect the Mustang to be a volume seller in Europe, calling it more of a "halo model" -- They can do math and know where the bulk of their fan base is and always will be - here in the US.

OP
OP

Oblivion/2

Insurance is normally around £400-450, although that's limited to 3000 miles per year. But as mine is just a sunny weekend toy, that's fine.

I'm also 42 and live in a good area, which helps keep the premium down.

UK road tax is based on C02 (it used to be based on the cubic capacity). There are several bands, with the lowest actually not paying any tax (think Prious!) whilst big capacity engines can pay up to £450/year.

The Mustang is rated at £220 purely as there is no data to proof what it's Co2 output is (as Ford have never officially sold it here, so it's not tested). I guess they just make us pay a medium figure.

:)
Think we'll see a diesel Mustang over there one day? Seems like it's bound to happen with the co2/emissions tests directly correlated to tax.

OP
OP

Prodigy

I think Ford said they are developing high performance ST models that are diesel powered. Doubt this includes the Mustang, but they may do better with sales in Europe with one, and diesel sales in the U.S. are also increasing.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Import tax and VAT cannot be avoided, I'm afraid.

Classics/historic vehicles have a lower import tax though.
Agree. I know some folks who had to pay 100% tax on their imported musclecars... new and old. :tsk:

Only way to avoid those VATs, import taxes, etc... is likely the illegal way.

Sponsored
OP
OP

GTsquid

I think Ford said they are developing high performance ST models that are diesel powered. Doubt this includes the Mustang, but they may do better with sales in Europe with one, and diesel sales in the U.S. are also increasing.
I think we'll see a diesel stang in Europe. It wont catch on in the U.S. tho, at least for a while. Ford has said that only offering petrol engines is limiting its sales across Europe. With CO2 emissions being such a big concern, it'll be even more so with a heavy polluter like the Mustang.

To me, Europe is years ahead of the U.S. in a lot of bad ways. Gas prices, emissions regulations, and economy. It makes sense for Ford to test out the trend in Europe and have U.S. follow once people get comfortable with it. I'm talking design, engine displacement, etc.

OP
OP

Ricky35

I think we'll see a diesel stang in Europe. It wont catch on in the U.S. tho, at least for a while. Ford has said that only offering petrol engines is limiting its sales across Europe. With CO2 emissions being such a big concern, it'll be even more so with a heavy polluter like the Mustang.

To me, Europe is years ahead of the U.S. in a lot of bad ways. Gas prices, emissions regulations, and economy. It makes sense for Ford to test out the trend in Europe and have U.S. follow once people get comfortable with it. I'm talking design, engine displacement, etc.
Diesel stang?! That sounds weird. Would be even weirder in the US.

I'd be shocked personally. I can't think of a single sports car that is diesel powered.

OP
OP

BoostedSVT

Ford has already said they dont expect the Mustang to be a volume seller in Europe, calling it more of a "halo model" -- They can do math and know where the bulk of their fan base is and always will be - here in the US.
The mustang itself as a halo model? That doesnt even make sense. If comparing to all other available cars in that market, the halo cars are the Astons, Porsches etc. The mustang will continue to be a niche car there, yes, but it won't be a halo car.

OP
OP

KC_Drifter

All this talk about different engines (and diesel??) for the Mustang just because it's going to Europe. This is going to be a low-volume seller there. Ford of Europe is losing billions of dollars because car sales have been plunging for years. You think they're going to spend all that money to develop things to satisfy the 5-10% (?) of the Mustang market there?

This is the whole reason those rumors about a sub-Mustang smaller sports coupe we heard last year were shot down.

OP
OP

crazyfastfreddy

This is the whole reason those rumors about a sub-Mustang smaller sports coupe we heard last year were shot down.
Did I miss somethin? I dont remember these rumors. Sub-mustang 2 door coupe?
Sponsored